4li2k73z   Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

can a cop fine you for being brakeless ?

7/11/2012 7:10 PM

i know, it sounds a bit stupid but can they since its like a danger hazard can they fine you ?, and if they can how much do you reckon the fine will be (im not brakeless yet)

by the way i live in melbourne, vic.

thanks for checking out this thread

7/11/2012 7:23 PM

I know the NSW rules intimately, here the requirement is 'at least one working mechanical brake'*. I don't know about Vic, if I get bored I may look through the Vic laws

* Not that while foot in tire is technically a 'Spoon brake', the word 'mechanical' might imply that the brake is to have mechanical advantage (AKA leverage). A proper spoon brake with a hinged platform would meet this, your foot wouldn't

7/11/2012 7:33 PM

to ride on the road your bike must have a brake

since the law says that you are not allowed to ride on the footpath you must ride on the road with a brake
the law also says that you must have reflectors.

I dont think a cop is going to fine you straight up they will probably give you a warning and take your name down i wouldnt worry about it too much bro.

7/11/2012 7:43 PM

theprophet wrote: to ride on the road your bike must have a brake

since the law says that you are not allowed to ride on the footpath you must ride on the road with a brake
the law also says that you must have reflectors.

I dont think a cop is going to fine you straight up they will probably give you a warning and take your name down i wouldnt worry about it too much bro.

ok, im abit worried they will fine me 200 bucks on the spot, i dont want my name down or some shit, i dont have reflectors either but i dont think they really give a fuck though, thanks anyway.

7/11/2012 7:45 PM

jawn wrote: I know the NSW rules intimately, here the requirement is 'at least one working mechanical brake'*. I don't know about Vic, if I get bored I may look through the Vic laws

* Not that while foot in tire is technically a 'Spoon brake', the word 'mechanical' might imply that the brake is to have mechanical advantage (AKA leverage). A proper spoon brake with a hinged platform would meet this, your foot wouldn't

thanks heaps man, helpful.

7/11/2012 7:52 PM

yea i dont think the cops will really give a shit
i just ride on the footpath so its fine
if i was riding on the road though i nwould use a brake

7/11/2012 7:54 PM

theprophet wrote: yea i dont think the cops will really give a shit
i just ride on the footpath so its fine
if i was riding on the road though i nwould use a brake

yeh, ill have a little look into the rules now

7/11/2012 7:56 PM

where in melbourne are you at?

7/11/2012 8:54 PM

ummm, you know nunawading ?, i live around there

7/11/2012 9:33 PM

rdot wrote: ummm, you know nunawading ?, i live around there

oh thats sick bro what park do you ride?

7/11/2012 11:27 PM

camberwell, box hill, rivers, pharan, the shed, rampfest, anywhere around that area.

7/11/2012 11:35 PM

we should ride sometime i always ride rampit

7/12/2012 7:23 PM

theprophet wrote: we should ride sometime i always ride rampit

arghhh i fuckin hate rampit !

7/12/2012 7:26 PM

theprophet wrote: we should ride sometime i always ride rampit

the only good thing is the halfpipe to the bank !

7/12/2012 7:50 PM

rdot wrote: arghhh i fuckin hate rampit !

its good as i do flyout tricks into the quarter of the foam pit
and shit around the spine wallrides are good there too

7/13/2012 6:07 PM

yeh, i like the shed alot more, dont really like the staff tho

7/13/2012 8:19 PM

never been there ill go sometime soon with my mate

7/13/2012 10:38 PM

theprophet wrote: never been there ill go sometime soon with my mate

yeh im goin there on monday maybe :p we got monday off

7/21/2012 1:26 AM

I dont think so???

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon
 photo bike_zpsb600f46b.jpg

8/28/2012 3:46 PM

bit irrelevant but you cant be fined for riding at a park without a helmet only on the road. apparently now you cant skate without a helmet either?

8/29/2012 1:45 AM

freeballin' wrote: bit irrelevant but you cant be fined for riding at a park without a helmet only on the road. apparently now you cant skate without a helmet either?

yea you cant ride at all without a helmet I dont think :/ i dont really know though ive always worn a helmet SAFETY FIRST

11/25/2012 3:10 AM

At a park helmets aren't compulsory by law, seeing as they aren't a public road.

"go high, touch the sky"

12/6/2012 1:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2012 1:45 AM

rdot wrote: i know, it sounds a bit stupid but can they since its like a danger hazard can they fine you ?, and if they can how much do you reckon the fine will be (im not brakeless yet)

Hey man, Just wanting to say i live in Melb, Vic too... Police are very in a few different varieties of categorys...

You have the bad officers that will fine you from a rate 1>10:
A cunt officer. 10/10
A questioning officer. 8/10
A prick officer. 9/10
A shifty officer. 7/10
A violating officer 1/10 But he will most likely deflate your tires...
A all round asshole officer... 11/10 He will probably fine you, put you into the system, take your name and address and deflate your tires also, and also fine you without a helmet.

You then have the good officers that will fine you at a rate 1>10:

Reasonable officer. 2/10 (They will reason with you but obey their law book depending on your co-operation)
Comedian officer. 0/10, they usually tell you how old they are and let you know they done the same when they were young.
Interested officer. 0/10 He will usually ask how much your bike costs, ask about how hard tricks are, and ask about everything on your ride lol
Silent officer. 0/10 He will ask, wheres your helmet (or brakes) and then say get off your bikes and walk please.
Talkative officer. Talks about 150000 encounters with trouble making teens and say you guys are really nice guys (if your co-operative) and tell you to move along

Then there is the female officer 1>10:

There will almost always be a fine with the females, because they don't understand the sport and follow the rules...

So what I'm trying to say is, They can fine you for no brakes, no helmet and riding in no riding zones... But they don't ALL do it, some of them ride bikes themselves and respect your ways, besides the cyclist officers, those dogs ride after you like a Japanese freight train. But it all depends on the mood of the night, mood of the officer, your co-operation and where you are... I've never been fined in my life and encounter a lot of doggish officers and a lot of really really nice ones that actually once rode my bike and tried a bunnyhop lol... But not, it all depends on the officer dude and you can usually tell by their body language and vocal strength/expression what will go down... I know all these from experience after riding my bike for 6 years now but i live in the northern suburbs so cops usually pull over and tell you to get off your bike and walk, and usually do a once around to make sure you're still walking.. I hope i was informative hahaha maybe let me know what suburban area you live in? I live in epping and they are a lot calmer and tolerable than officers such as in Prahran, Prahran officers fucking search for you and fine you on the spot for everything they can...

It all depends on the area and the officer!

12/6/2012 4:23 AM

jake-loves-to-ride wrote: Hey man, Just wanting to say i live in Melb, Vic too... Police are very in a few different varieties of categorys...

A cunt officer. 10/10
A prick officer. 9/10
A shifty officer. 7/10
A all round asshole officer... 11/10 He will probably fine you, put you into the system, take your name and address and deflate your tires also, and also fine you without a helmet.

Reasonable officer. 2/10 (They will reason with you but obey their law book depending on your co-operation)
Comedian officer. 0/10, they usually tell you how old they are and let you know they done the same when they were young.
Interested officer. 0/10 He will usually ask how much your bike costs, ask about how hard tricks are, and ask about everything on your ride lol
Silent officer. 0/10 He will ask, wheres your helmet (or brakes) and then say get off your bikes and walk please.
Talkative officer. Talks about 150000 encounters with trouble making teens and say you guys are really nice guys (if your co-operative) and tell you to move along

There will almost always be a fine with the females, because they don't understand the sport and follow the rules...

So what I'm trying to say is, They can fine you for no brakes, no helmet and riding in no riding zones... But they don't ALL do it, some of them ride bikes themselves and respect your ways, besides the cyclist officers, those dogs ride after you like a Japanese freight train. But it all depends on the mood of the night, mood of the officer, your co-operation and where you are... I've never been fined in my life and encounter a lot of doggish officers and a lot of really really nice ones that actually once rode my bike and tried a bunnyhop lol... But not, it all depends on the officer dude and you can usually tell by their body language and vocal strength/expression what will go down... I know all these from experience after riding my bike for 6 years now but i live in the northern suburbs so cops usually pull over and tell you to get off your bike and walk, and usually do a once around to make sure you're still walking.. I hope i was informative hahaha maybe let me know what suburban area you live in? I live in epping and they are a lot calmer and tolerable than officers such as in Prahran, Prahran officers fucking search for you and fine you on the spot for everything they can...

this. where are those trails in your display pic?

St Kilda Steeze.

12/6/2012 8:55 AM

rdot wrote: i know, it sounds a bit stupid but can they since its like a danger hazard can they fine you ?, and if they can how much do you reckon the fine will be (im not brakeless yet)

jake-loves-to-ride wrote: Hey man, Just wanting to say i live in Melb, Vic too... Police are very in a few different varieties of categorys...

A cunt officer. 10/10
A prick officer. 9/10
A shifty officer. 7/10

jackmarks wrote: this. where are those trails in your display pic?

They are diamond creek trails 15 years and counting, those are the trick jumps, there are two massive ones like 10ft high and 9ft wide

3/7/2013 1:31 AM

Queensland you can but only if it is seen as reckless riding E.g. riding across the road at the lights or swerving through people
also if you are going to be riding on the road when there are designated footpaths
the other comments will explain the other states
hope you enjoy brakeless riding, i know i do

The first breath is the beginning of death

Post a Reply to: can a cop fine you for being brakeless ?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm