4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

1994 Standard STA build thread

8/29/2012 10:30 AM

A lot of you guys have been asking about my STA frame i have so i decided over the next couple weeks i'm gonna rebuild it...this build is for you guys.

I got this frame in 1994 for Christmas (i was 9) and I've had it ever since. I've rebuilt it twice over the last 18 years and this time i'm gonna rebuild it and hang it up in my mancave once it's finished being built.

Right now it's a frame with a OG S&M seat post, FSA Pig headset, Profile bottom bracket and honestly i have no idea what forks but they're getting trashed and replaced with some Standard Bash forks if i can find them. I'll be looking for an old Standard stem too that came on the bike when i got it, so if anyone has any idea where to get one just let me know. I have some S&M Butler bars (from 1998) and then the rest will be replaced with anything from those years that i can find.

Here's a few pics, consider it day 0 of my build.

Back before Standard used 14mm dropouts, back in the day when 14mm became a huge success i wanted a 14mm rear axle and they told me if i sent it to them and had them machine it that they'd still warranty my frame...but I called them 2 years ago and they told me i better not touch that frame and keep it all original.

Today I'm gonna strip the frame and try to find some Gunmetal Grey (the color it was in 1994), i'll have it powdercoated and not painted (which back then it was painted).

keep any eye on this thread guys

8/29/2012 11:12 AM

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this, my first standard was also an STA500, it was white, probably going to powder my 250L white at some point and get some similiar decals so itll kind of look like my old sta (or i could fet a new sta lol.. Cant wait to see this unfold, also noticed we're the same age!

doing business like its a business since 1985

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

BMX-Decals.com on Facebook!!!!!!!

8/29/2012 11:19 AM

I've had 30+ Standards over the last 18 years and this is the only one i've kept just because my dad wouldn't let me sell it and i think even now he'd be super pissed if i sold it just because of how much he knows it means to me.

As for our age, yup i'm 27, 7/21/85

now you found out my username, SBC (obliviously Standard Byke Co) and 7-85, lol

8/29/2012 11:42 AM

Sweet bike i love standards, Standard Army For Life, a Sta that early is kinda rare!!! it should be a 1" threaded, but it might not be , thats right about when standard introduced there 1 1/8 fork and stem system!!! i
i cant wait to see it finished!

8/29/2012 12:03 PM

yup is 1 1/8", first year for them was late '93 early '94

i was thinking of doing this until i gather all my parts

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/standard_bykes/8488

8/29/2012 1:24 PM

This thread is awesome. Can't wait to see some Alex triple wall 48s or sky mags. I'll definitely be following this one.

8/29/2012 2:11 PM

no mags...no...mags don't belong on anything but GT's and Dyno's, lol

this will get some older 48h Sun Rhyno's (which is what i had) laced to a flip flop hub, lol.

8/29/2012 2:30 PM

sbc785 wrote: no mags...no...mags don't belong on anything but GT's and Dyno's, lol

this will get some older 48h Sun Rhyno's (which is what i had) laced to a flip flop hub, lol.

Yea no mags most were over that by the mid 90s

doing business like its a business since 1985

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

BMX-Decals.com on Facebook!!!!!!!

8/29/2012 2:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2012 2:41 PM

i can remember my exact setup i had on the bike...

Standard STA frame
Standard Bash fork
Standard Stem
Powerlite Bars
Powerlite 1-pc crank (no idea why 1-pc)
Seat post and seat were probably cheap shit
wheels were Sun Rhyno rims with Redline hubs laced to them (used a lot of Redline racing)

i actually didn't ride that bike much because i was still young and that bike was a tank, literally was too heavy for me until i was 14 or 15. I had a 125R race bike that i raced all the time but sold it down the road to get a 250.
Anyway, when i was 14 i overhauled the bike. I switched to this setup:

kept all the Standard parts
S&M Butler bars with Snafu Rallaye grips
Profile SS cranks
Seat post was a Snafu flagpole
Seat post clamp is a Profile
Seat was a Poverty
Wheels were Sun Rhynolite rims with Crup H/F flip-flop hub laced to them

i still have the S&M bars, Poverty seat, Profile seat clamp, still have the rear Crupi wheel i think....

8/29/2012 5:01 PM

I've been waiting for this build since you mentioned you had it! Can't wait to watch this progress

8/29/2012 5:13 PM

yeah i think it was you who said something in my bike check, that's what made throw this thread on here, lol

8/29/2012 8:04 PM

Following..... This.... Thread.....

Once your done be sure to stick it in the BMX Museum

8/30/2012 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2012 3:51 PM

Yes, awesome that the dropouts aren't trimmed, maybe they are

8/30/2012 5:52 PM

Nope they aren't

8/30/2012 6:20 PM

Any Interest?

Photobucket

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | STLRS Facbook | STLRS Youtube Channel | Chuck8273 is king, bow to him |

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/30/2012 7:01 PM

I actually have either a Profile Imperial 44t or a Threshold 39t sprocket with a bash guard, one of the more rarer parts I have because I know the company only made them for 1 year and they didn't make many. This Threshold sprocket came out in 2000 I believe, I'll take a pic when I get back from the airport.

8/30/2012 7:11 PM

sbc785 wrote: I actually have either a Profile Imperial 44t or a Threshold 39t sprocket with a bash guard, one of the more rarer parts I have because I know the company only made them for 1 year and they didn't make many. This Threshold sprocket came out in 2000 I believe, I'll take a pic when I get back from the airport.

Damn, i have this thing just hanging around.

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | STLRS Facbook | STLRS Youtube Channel | Chuck8273 is king, bow to him |

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

8/30/2012 7:13 PM

sbc785 wrote: I actually have either a Profile Imperial 44t or a Threshold 39t sprocket with a bash guard, one of the more rarer parts I have because I know the company only made them for 1 year and they didn't make many. This Threshold sprocket came out in 2000 I believe, I'll take a pic when I get back from the airport.

I remember wanting a 13t cassette so I could get a 36t threshold with the guard. I had a dinner plate FBM 43t at that time.

8/30/2012 7:14 PM

Brokenbmx wrote: Damn, i have this thing just hanging around.

Build an old bike too! I'mthinking about it once I get my bike where I want it. This thread has inspired me to build an s&m dirt bike

8/30/2012 9:21 PM

Back in 84 or 85 I had a set of arayas with a 13t sprocket, but I was running a 46t chain wheel. Couldn't go up a hill but could haul on flat or going down hills.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/30/2012 11:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2012 11:48 PM

i got one of my old Crupi race wheels with the flip flop hub. One side was 14t and the other was either a 15 or 16 but i swapped over to 14t when i ran the 39t. I might still have that wheel laying around, damn thing was expensive as hell...think the wheelset cost me $400+ at the time.

8/31/2012 12:00 AM

My friend had this frame done in a custom paint job - British Racing Mini Cooper Green back in 97

Never seen it any where else....

Cant wait to see your colour way

There is so many good looking ones on BMX Museum

8/31/2012 12:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2012 12:34 AM

lukegoh13 wrote: My friend had this frame done in a custom paint job - British Racing Mini Cooper Green back in 97

Never seen it any where else....

Cant wait to see your colour way

There is so many good looking ones on BMX Museum

while looking through color swatches today, i found this amazing root beer brownish copper metal flake, not sure if i wanna use it on this bike or on my Fly...

and in this pic, the green bike in the far back is my STA, it too was a green that looked amazing when it was first done but the paint turned to shit after years of sitting

8/31/2012 6:33 PM

Cool thread, I'll be sure to follow it.

Lol. Xzibit plz
Shakesman69: Seeing a girl on a bike is like seeing a unicorn walking down the main street.
Brokenbmx: i pooped butterflies once.

Bought from: Ridebmx456 TCbmx(x2) Wade., Ticaleb
Sold to: Sprocket: Mike - E, Front Hub: Kroller, Back wheel: imgoingtohavetocuthere
Local deal for a rear wheel with: bmx

9/25/2012 6:52 PM

does anyone have ANY Standard parts from the 94-99 era?

9/26/2012 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2012 1:28 PM

sbc785 wrote: does anyone have ANY Standard parts from the 94-99 era?

Nice, gonna watch this develop. Pretty sweet its 1 1/8th, its midschool but the first year for the HT that was such a big change in the industry. If you made a timeline of bikes that were the forerunners to modern bikes, THIS bike would be there, no ?. THE perfect midschool bike to hang on the wall.

The younger guys who have grown up with modern bikes might not understand but BITD changes like this were HUGE. Same with threadless headsets, BITD you were THE MAN to own something like that. Were all running the same tech now, but back then to have a threadless HS, or oversized HT set your bike apart from others in a way we just dont see today.

"OMG did you see his new Standard? Dat HT is HUGE!! ima get one next month(never gets one)"
"yea man, I aint never seen that before, its pretty rad"
"I seen one once............in a magazine"

Back then, in the BMX world, this was like owning a fuckin Ferrari.

Oh, and please paint a color that was a factory one back then for this bike. Like an old car it deserves it.

9/26/2012 1:42 PM

sbc785 wrote: does anyone have ANY Standard parts from the 94-99 era?

I'm 100% sure on the museum you can find what you want..

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

9/26/2012 3:49 PM

Update?

9/27/2012 4:37 PM

No updates yet guys, got other things on my plate, still planning whether or not to keep this a riding bike or preserve the frame by painting it it's original gunmetal grey and hanging it on the wall.

9/28/2012 6:00 AM

Definitely paint it and hang it.

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco, element4all,

Animal - Guerra - Odyssey

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

E-Mail - freddydapice@yahoo.com

Tumblr - http://freddydapice.tumblr.com

PSN - TheBrownWolf

Post a Reply to: 1994 Standard STA build thread

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm