4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

40 year old father needing a bike for track to ride with 7 year old son (as well as wife & daughter on trails)

5/18/2014 5:39 AM

Old dude here at 40 years old looking to get a BMX bike for use on the track with my 7 year old son really wanting me to ride with him on the track while he practices. Also looking to use on trails with the rest of the family. I'm really confused what to buy. I'm reading I should get bigger (24" or 26") but not sure where to begin. I don't want to be too cheap where I will be dissapointed long term at the same time not break the bank. I'm not all that big at 5' 7" @ 130lbs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

5/18/2014 6:30 AM

SO you want a bike for a race track and for trails?

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/18/2014 6:33 AM

I'd go for something like the Stolen Saint or Sunday Model C. I think a 24" bike would suit you perfectly.

5/18/2014 6:54 AM

T-rider wrote: SO you want a bike for a race track and for trails?

for both race track and trails...trails being paved or hard packed trails.

5/18/2014 7:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2014 7:30 AM

Hey puma, I’m just a year older than you. A 24” would definitely be good for you. After being away from a bike for some 20 years, getting back on a 20” felt awkward. If you’re just cruising around with the kids and not getting too into trick riding, the 24” size is perfect.

WeThePeople Atlas would definitely be my pick. It's probably the best spec'd 24" complete available.

5/18/2014 7:30 AM

Fondue wrote: Hey puma, I’m just a year older than you. A 24” would definitely be good for you. After being away from a bike for some 20 years, getting back on a 20” felt awkward. If you’re just cruising around with the kids and not getting too into trick riding, the 24” size is perfect.

WeThePeople Atlas would definitely be my pick. It's probably the best spec'd 24" complete available.

That.

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/18/2014 1:34 PM

Sunday Model C (or most other 24s for that matter) should work fine

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

5/18/2014 1:55 PM

That WTP Atlas looks great. The Sunday wave c has a hi ten frame, which keeps me from looking at it. If I could get over how weird 24" and larger bikes look (MTN bikes excluded), I'd look into getting one. The low price of the Atlas compared to building the custom I have in mind is tempting though.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

5/18/2014 8:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2014 9:14 PM

Fondue wrote: Hey puma, I’m just a year older than you. A 24” would definitely be good for you. After being away from a bike for some 20 years, getting back on a 20” felt awkward. If you’re just cruising around with the kids and not getting too into trick riding, the 24” size is perfect.

The WeThePeople Atlas looks great. Not use if I want to spend that much right now. Any suggestions for anything slightly cheaper or are all other not worth looking into?

Thoughts on the DK Sprinter Pro 24" ??

5/19/2014 6:53 AM

puma1824 wrote: The WeThePeople Atlas looks great. Not use if I want to spend that much right now. Any suggestions for anything slightly cheaper or are all other not worth looking into?

Thoughts on the DK Sprinter Pro 24" ??

I see. Are you looking for a racing bike or freestyle? The Sprinter Pro is a racing bike, which I'm not too familiar with in general. I'm sure you've heard the old phrase: you get what you pay for. These days, a $400 bike puts you on the low end of things with freestyle bikes - not sure about racing though. I imagine it's the same, as you can get $2000 race bikes, but you won't find any freestyle completes over $1100.

But getting back to the Sprinter. It's probably a decent "beginner" level racing bike for going around the track. Good to see you getting back on either way. What I think you should do is find your local bike shop and try some out. It's the only way you're going to know for sure.

5/19/2014 7:21 AM

The DK should be a great bike to ride at the track with your Boy!
get to a bike shop and ride a 24", you will fall in love all over again.

5/20/2014 9:55 AM

motomonkey wrote: The DK should be a great bike to ride at the track with your Boy!
get to a bike shop and ride a 24", you will fall in love all over again.

I called one of the local dealers listed for DK in my area. Unfortunately they indicated they dropped that line several years back with Huffy purchased them. Is there anything I should know about DK? Is DK in the same league / category as Huffy or other bikes sold at Walmart or Target? Sorry for my ignorance, it's been over 25+ years since I seriously looked any anything BMX related.

5/20/2014 10:50 AM

DK did this thing a few years ago where they only wanted to be available in local bike shops. It back fired on them, essentially.

5/20/2014 11:23 AM

I bought a Sunday Model C a few months ago and it is fun to cruise around on. I'd invest in a long seat post and a fat pivotal seat if you plan on sitting down when you ride. Redline and GT make 24" bikes in the $300 range. There is also the Stolen Saint which looks like a cool bike to ride.

5/21/2014 7:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2014 9:03 PM

LLURider wrote: I bought a Sunday Model C a few months ago and it is fun to cruise around on. I'd invest in a long seat post and a fat pivotal seat if you plan on sitting down when you ride. Redline and GT make 24" bikes in the $300 range. There is also the Stolen Saint which looks like a cool bike to ride.

Would the Sunday Model C be ok to use on BMX tracks? What if I actually wanted to try racing would it still be a viable option?

On another note, anyone know where I can buy a Model C? Seems to be out of stock everywhere I look.

5/22/2014 5:46 AM

http://racepacebicycles.com/product-list/bikes-1000/?rb_ct=1032&startRow=31

Call Race Pace in Columbia and see if they have any 24" BMX'ers in stock and go down and ride them.
and yes you could ride the model c at the track, the DK is a race bike and the model c is more like a freestyle bmx bike if that helps

5/26/2014 5:45 AM

Now I'm a little confused. Looking at specs from manufacturers it seems as if I may be too short for a 24" Do guys my size ride 24" (5' 6")? I'm starting to lean towards the WTP Atlas 24...ready to pull the purchase but I want to be sure that 24" is right for my size.

thanks again.

5/26/2014 6:28 AM

Which brands were you looking at? I've seen kids shorter than you riding 24's. I think you'll be okay though. This is Jim C next to a Sunday Wave-C. You can see he's kinda short.

And here's a video of Jon Faure's son riding a Wave-C.

5/26/2014 5:53 PM

Fondue wrote: Which brands were you looking at? I've seen kids shorter than you riding 24's. I think you'll be okay though. This is Jim C next to a Sunday Wave-C. You can see he's kinda short.

And here's a video of Jon Faure's son riding a Wave-C.

I'm about to pull trigger on the WTP Atlas. I'd get the Sunday - C if I could find it somewhere in stock. Thoughts?

5/27/2014 7:18 AM

The Atlas.

5/27/2014 10:56 PM

I can say I am 5'7 145 and I ride a 24" bike. its amazing.

2013 gt zone

5/28/2014 5:40 AM

you will be happy with the Atlas! do it and get your ride on!!

5/30/2014 5:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2014 6:02 PM

Ended up purchasing the Atlas 24 Anyone have suggestions for new brake pads? The stock pads squeak like crazy! Also considering new pedals. Any suggestion?

Here's a pic of my new ride ready to go:

5/30/2014 5:47 PM

Nice score. Im liking the tan walls. What kind of pedals? plastic, metal, plastic with metal pins?

"Riding four piece bars is like getting a BJ from an ugly girl, Close your eyes and it feels the same."

-Feeble_to_face

California Living

5/30/2014 5:52 PM

feeble_to_face wrote: Nice score. Im liking the tan walls. What kind of pedals? plastic, metal, plastic with metal pins?

Thanks. Not sure about what type of pedals I should be looking into. I assume metal would be heavier?

5/30/2014 8:17 PM

feeble_to_face wrote: Nice score. Im liking the tan walls. What kind of pedals? plastic, metal, plastic with metal pins?

puma1824 wrote: Thanks. Not sure about what type of pedals I should be looking into. I assume metal would be heavier?

not by much. Not really noticeable actually. But if you get a shiner with metals it hurts a lot more. but plastics wear down faster.

"Riding four piece bars is like getting a BJ from an ugly girl, Close your eyes and it feels the same."

-Feeble_to_face

California Living

5/31/2014 12:26 AM

With the Pads, Clear ones tend to squeak, but they don't tend to wear down the finish on the side of the rim. With Black pads they don't tend to squeak but the finish will wear down quicker.

5/31/2014 1:57 AM

BMX_Forever wrote: I'd go for something like the Stolen Saint or Sunday Model C. I think a 24" bike would suit you perfectly.

I would go with the sunday model c

or custom build a deuce deuce

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

5/31/2014 2:01 AM

my bad. didn't see you bought one. nice. and id get some metal pedals for it. fuck plastics. and I would keep the pads. squeaking is generally a good sound for brakes lol

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

7/22/2014 4:34 PM

hey puma

my story is same as yours……….been searching and reading bout 24's

how do like your atlas since the purchase?
Post a Reply to: 40 year old father needing a bike for track to ride with 7 year old son (as well as wife & daughter on trails)

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm