4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Are cranks not supposed to go on all the way?

7/18/2014 2:59 PM

I just got new Cult OS cranks and no matter how hard I try, I can only get each crank about half way onto the spindle. I was using the biggest ratchet I had and pushing as hard as I could, and there were even metal shavings coming out, but they won't go on farther. Am I supposed to just put spacers in and leave them half way on?

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

7/18/2014 3:13 PM

I would bet there is something preventing them from going further, like some weld spatter, or paint.

Contact the company?

Cranks should be able to go further than that.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

7/18/2014 4:09 PM

I somehow managed to tighten them so that there's about 1-2mm of space left, but I bent the 6mm hex socket I was using. I don't know what else to do, this is just ridiculous.

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

7/18/2014 4:10 PM

First of all, make sure you grease the crank arms and spindle well before installing your cranks.

If you've done that they should be able to pull on the rest of the way with the install tool. How big is the gap right now between your crank arms and your frame? (chainstays) Once a crank is properly installed you should have even distance on either side of your frame between the chainstay and the crank arm. Usually there is about a finger width between your crank and the frame.

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

7/18/2014 5:04 PM

Just like you said, there's about a finger width between the end of the crank arm and the chain stay on each side. However, there is still about 2mm of space showing on the spindle. And it isn't smooth spindle, either. It's splines. So I just don't understand why the crank won't go all the way on if there's still room on the splines.

7/18/2014 6:16 PM

This is why IMO longer run 48 spline cranks.

7/18/2014 6:29 PM

Check the splines like dave said there maybe a bit of metal blocking them from going in all the way.

Also do you have any spacers on the opposite side?

THOU SHALL NOT COMMIT SKOOTERY
Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90, dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin
text me323.245.2827

7/18/2014 10:35 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote: Just like you said, there's about a finger width between the end of the crank arm and the chain stay on each side. However, there is still about 2mm of space showing on the spindle. And it isn't smooth spindle, either. It's splines. So I just don't understand why the crank won't go all the way on if there's still room on the splines.

The crank arms usually do not pull all the way on to the spindle - there is usually a bit of room left on the crank arms. With that said, it looks like you could got on a little further then just add a couple spacers.

Maybe try taking it apart, applying more grease and giving it another shot?

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

7/19/2014 1:13 PM

if you didnt use grease thats your problem
are you using one of those crank tools?
check the spindles and arms for blockage in the spines

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
"no one cares you goon i'm practically a girl"-Sickdude/Krooked
shitlist: timedrifter, rxking, crazyclark, _reyesbmx_, thuglifebmxriderz
http://deviantbmxer.blogspot.com/ http://deviantbmxer.blogspot.com/p/forum.html

7/19/2014 4:29 PM

I think the problem is that they arent primo.

7/19/2014 4:42 PM

try taking them off and checking to see if their stripped or something, u can sometimes use like a pick to fix threading. then lightly grease it, it may help you get past any "rough" spots.

D.O.S.
dk, Odyssey, Shadow

7/19/2014 5:31 PM

Mychaylo wrote: I think the problem is that they arent primo.

Definitely

Check out my skavenger EL BLAAAAAAAAANCO LOCO!

Subscribe to my youtube channel here

Magic

7/19/2014 5:41 PM

When I received my chrome Fit indents, there was enough chrome plate build up in the splines to make them appear rounded. They wouldn't even start on the splines. About a half hour with a jewelers file and they were all fixed up. A bit tight going on, but I prefer it that way.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/19/2014 6:11 PM

Interesting note, a guy on here had a blob of weld on the spines of the crank arm, check, clean and grease.

7/20/2014 6:58 AM

ALSO, to those saying "usually a finger width space" I wouldn't call that a rule of thumb, I leave a couple MM and that's it, reason being, I want enough spindle inside the crank arm, and it to clear the frame. Outside of that, I am good to go. Too much space outside means not enough spindle in many cases. I try to balance it nicely.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

7/20/2014 7:46 AM

i agree with everyone saying there could be weld splatter on the spindle. however i am concerned with the amount of metal shavings coming out of the crank. not good....

i ride to stay young

7/20/2014 7:51 AM

That's from the bolt being tightened too much

7/22/2014 6:38 PM

Bit of extra pushing on it and I got them on. After checking the inside of the crank, I'm pretty sure there was some paint on the inside of them. Turns out the shavings were just from the back side of the spacer that goes around the bolt. Thanks for all the help everyone

Post a Reply to: Are cranks not supposed to go on all the way?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm