4li2k73z   Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

BMX AIRLINE TRAVELING!!!

2/5/2007 9:48 PM

Whats up guys I need some help Because Im going to be going out of the country in March and staying in the Philippines...I want to bring my bike and well im having a hard time on how I can bring my bike on board without having to pay for that damn bike FEE!!! Im from San Diego and im going to be going to LAX...Since 9/11 came about security been tough to get your bike unnoticed...THIS IS WHAT I HEAR...I hear the fee is around $150-$200...Just to get it over there...I dont want a BIKE BOX or Race CASE...cause if I get those its still going to cost me about $200...Ive read in DIG about the new agio golf bag which pretty much you can put your bike in that...also Taj's Bass Guitar case...I got all that info but Im still unsure...To understand where im coming From...I never took a Plane ride in my entire life...21 years old and basically this is going to be the first time in my life I ever left the USA...So to sum it all up I have no idea how airlines and their security works...THATS why im here I would rather listen to my fellow riders for advice...SO if you can lend a helping hand I would deeply appreciate it THANKS GUYS...Sorry for it being long but I want you guys to get an idea of what I was trying to say...PEACE...

2/6/2007 1:16 PM

Security are assholes. Check-in clerks are assholes. You can't fight city hall. Your best bet is try something creative, like many of the ideas you've already read about. My favorite is the bass guitar case. Nice. However, I doubt you have one lying around to gut and put a disassembled bicycle in.

Go ahead and square away the money necessary to travel with your bike. If they(the airline) uncover the true nature of your guise, you will have to pay. They may even forfeit your ticket.

In these post-September Eleventh days airlines pretty much have the authority to operate under the protection of the Patriot Act. They can do whatever the hell they want and if you raise any level of hell they will have you arrested. It's total bullshit and charging $200 for no other reason than 'because we can' is tantamount to extortion. Fuck the airlines.

Of course, once you arrive in the Philippines your bike will be the envy of every hustler, thief, schemer and otherwise dishonest person looking to exploit a virgin tourist/traveler. Ripping off westerners is big business in most every part of the world that is not the United States or the United Kingdom. And even then you're not exempt. Say, you don't happen to be Philippino do you?

Post edited by: GMGuinn, at: 2007/02/06 21:18

No one can defeat the Quad Laser!

2/6/2007 1:24 PM

GMGuinn wrote: Security are assholes. Check-in clerks are assholes. You can't fight city hall. Your best bet is try something creative, like many of the ideas you've already read about. My favorite is the bass guitar case. Nice. However, I doubt you have one lying around to gut and put a disassembled bicycle in.

Go ahead and square away the money necessary to travel with your bike. If they(the airline) uncover the true nature of your guise, you will have to pay. They may even forfeit your ticket.

In these post-September Eleventh days airlines pretty much have the authority to operate under the protection of the Patriot Act. They can do whatever the hell they want and if you raise any level of hell they will have you arrested. It's total bullshit and charging $200 for no other reason than 'because we can' is tantamount to extortion. Fuck the airlines.

Of course, once you arrive in the Philippines your bike will be the envy of every hustler, thief, schemer and otherwise dishonest person looking to exploit a virgin tourist/traveler. Ripping off westerners is big business in most every part of the world that is not the United States or the United Kingdom. And even then you're not exempt. Say, you don't happen to be Philippino do you?

securtiy sucks, and you have to watch it with tools, dont have them with you on carry on luggage cause they might or will confiscat your tools when they see them through that machine. almost had an allen key confiscated from me in the airports that i never realized was still in my backpack since the other day before i went to the airport i rode a skatepark and kept tools in my backpack incase i needed it. i was pissed. bou can also part it out and put parts in different luggages but that might be too suspicious. the guitar bag is a nice idea i seen in dig and that golf bag also. you can also ship your bike out to where your staying and make sure it arrives at the place your staying after you get there, so things wont get all lost and stuff

2/7/2007 5:13 AM

GMGuinn wrote: Security are assholes. Check-in clerks are assholes. You can't fight city hall. Your best bet is try something creative, like many of the ideas you've already read about. My favorite is the bass guitar case. Nice. However, I doubt you have one lying around to gut and put a disassembled bicycle in.

joe rides bicycles wrote: securtiy sucks, and you have to watch it with tools, dont have them with you on carry on luggage cause they might or will confiscat your tools when they see them through that machine. almost had an allen key confiscated from me in the airports that i never realized was still in my backpack since the other day before i went to the airport i rode a skatepark and kept tools in my backpack incase i needed it. i was pissed. bou can also part it out and put parts in different luggages but that might be too suspicious. the guitar bag is a nice idea i seen in dig and that golf bag also. you can also ship your bike out to where your staying and make sure it arrives at the place your staying after you get there, so things wont get all lost and stuff

I hate airports. I am a seasoned traveller, and have had my share of quarrels with airport authorities. I took my skateboard (dissassembled) to Europe (from Canada) one time, and almost had to stay in Toronto due to my arguing. If it were me, I'd do the golf bag idea (the Ogio one). I wouldn't say anything to the check in clerk, just keep my mouth shut until someone makes a stink. But seeing as you are a first time traveller, I would just comply. Until you learn the rules of the traveller, and are more comfortable in those scenarios, you are best off just doing as you are told. Plus 200 clams for a bag to pack your bike in, or 200 clams to ensure a safe and easy travel... Up to you!

Post edited by: karsk, at: 2007/02/07 13:13

I'm not ignorant, I'm just working on my senelity.

2/26/2007 7:59 AM

joe rides bicycles wrote: securtiy sucks, and you have to watch it with tools, dont have them with you on carry on luggage cause they might or will confiscat your tools when they see them through that machine. almost had an allen key confiscated from me in the airports that i never realized was still in my backpack since the other day before i went to the airport i rode a skatepark and kept tools in my backpack incase i needed it. i was pissed. bou can also part it out and put parts in different luggages but that might be too suspicious. the guitar bag is a nice idea i seen in dig and that golf bag also. you can also ship your bike out to where your staying and make sure it arrives at the place your staying after you get there, so things wont get all lost and stuff

karsk wrote: I hate airports. I am a seasoned traveller, and have had my share of quarrels with airport authorities. I took my skateboard (dissassembled) to Europe (from Canada) one time, and almost had to stay in Toronto due to my arguing. If it were me, I'd do the golf bag idea (the Ogio one). I wouldn't say anything to the check in clerk, just keep my mouth shut until someone makes a stink. But seeing as you are a first time traveller, I would just comply. Until you learn the rules of the traveller, and are more comfortable in those scenarios, you are best off just doing as you are told. Plus 200 clams for a bag to pack your bike in, or 200 clams to ensure a safe and easy travel... Up to you!

Post edited by: karsk, at: 2007/02/07 13:13

I know there was coverage about the Ogio golf bags for using while travelling. But Ogio also has a (more or less) BMX specific bag. I'd be willing to give this one a try.

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=198

Just an update for those who are interested!

2/28/2007 2:06 PM

i no its so gay i had my bike in pieces in a bag and they took it out and search everything it took for ever!!!!!!!!

3/3/2007 9:40 AM

the easiest way i have found in the past, is to get a hockey gear bag (a goalie gear bag is bigger)and take your bars, wheels, pedals and seat/post off and lay it all in the gear bag, it fits nicely. and they don't normally ask, but if they do, just say it is equipment. canadian riders have done this for years.the mood of the airline worker has alot to do with it too. so just be really nice. in canada i just fly westjet now, cause you can leave the bike together and just take pegs and pedals off and roll it into a plastic bag, which is what i would also suggest to do if you end up paying for it.
oh, Hockey bags are cheap too, look for a used sporting goods store and since it is almost spring they should be really cheap. maybe it is hard for you to find one though where you are, but good luck.

4/8/2007 2:24 AM

VanCity Terry wrote: the easiest way i have found in the past, is to get a hockey gear bag (a goalie gear bag is bigger)and take your bars, wheels, pedals and seat/post off and lay it all in the gear bag, it fits nicely. and they don't normally ask, but if they do, just say it is equipment. canadian riders have done this for years.the mood of the airline worker has alot to do with it too. so just be really nice. in canada i just fly westjet now, cause you can leave the bike together and just take pegs and pedals off and roll it into a plastic bag, which is what i would also suggest to do if you end up paying for it.
oh, Hockey bags are cheap too, look for a used sporting goods store and since it is almost spring they should be really cheap. maybe it is hard for you to find one though where you are, but good luck.

If you don't mind not riding for a week, just mail it to your destination address (if you have friends or family to receive it). I think it's cheaper than the airline fee.

4/8/2007 11:42 AM

VanCity Terry wrote: the easiest way i have found in the past, is to get a hockey gear bag (a goalie gear bag is bigger)and take your bars, wheels, pedals and seat/post off and lay it all in the gear bag, it fits nicely. and they don't normally ask, but if they do, just say it is equipment. canadian riders have done this for years.the mood of the airline worker has alot to do with it too. so just be really nice. in canada i just fly westjet now, cause you can leave the bike together and just take pegs and pedals off and roll it into a plastic bag, which is what i would also suggest to do if you end up paying for it.

Chad wrote: If you don't mind not riding for a week, just mail it to your destination address (if you have friends or family to receive it). I think it's cheaper than the airline fee.

get a huge cello case and your all set

just say your in an ochestra

Post edited by: ConspiracyBMX518, at: 4/8/2007 6:43 PM

4/8/2007 5:47 PM

What helps alot is if you have a good adress Is ship it. Ive used DHL,and Fedex. Never had a problem. most hotels will hold your package till you arrive. Its guarranteed and theres insurance. Most importat part is if you know a couple days prior its usually around 50 to 75 shipping fees.

Hope it helps

4/8/2007 8:51 PM

moseswell wrote: What helps alot is if you have a good adress Is ship it. Ive used DHL,and Fedex. Never had a problem. most hotels will hold your package till you arrive. Its guarranteed and theres insurance. Most importat part is if you know a couple days prior its usually around 50 to 75 shipping fees.

Hope it helps

moseswell wrote:
What helps alot is if you have a good adress Is ship it. Ive used DHL,and Fedex. Never had a problem. most hotels will hold your package till you arrive. Its guarranteed and theres insurance. Most importat part is if you know a couple days prior its usually around 50 to 75 shipping fees.

Hope it helps

FUCKING FEDEX!!! I hate you!!!

signed,
disgruntled ex-employee

ps.. you still owe me money!

hmpf.

4/9/2007 10:24 AM

moseswell wrote: What helps alot is if you have a good adress Is ship it. Ive used DHL,and Fedex. Never had a problem. most hotels will hold your package till you arrive. Its guarranteed and theres insurance. Most importat part is if you know a couple days prior its usually around 50 to 75 shipping fees.

Hope it helps

karsk wrote: moseswell wrote:

Hope it helps

FUCKING FEDEX!!! I hate you!!!

signed,
disgruntled ex-employee

ps.. you still owe me money!

hmpf.

On most airlines when you're traveling international, you are allowed to bring a bike in a box. Call the airline you are traveling on and ask them to check; they will tell you "no" right away, but ask them to look it up to be sure. International gets more baggage allowance than domestic. I have the Ogio golf bag and it works perfectly, but before I had the Ogio bag I would either box it up and claim it was bike parts, not a complete (put a few pieces in another bag and you're not lying), or show up witht he pedals and pegs off, bars turned sideways, and tell them that I do this all the time and I just sign the waiver saying it's fine if they damage my bike. Either way, you should be prepared to pay the extra charge--it is completely up to the person behind the counter. Be extremely polite, because they can be as nice or as mean as they want.
Post a Reply to: BMX AIRLINE TRAVELING!!!

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm