4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Brand New Bmx Crank Noise

7/28/2012 12:13 PM

HI there..I bought a hoffman condor off chainreaction and received it thursday..I have noticed since i got it a popping noise in the cranks..it happens everytime the driveterain side crank reaches the 12 oclock position...I am wondering if the cranks are just wearing in or is it that the are broke?? thanks

7/28/2012 12:32 PM

grease your spindle maybe? no idea what your problem is hahaha

flys like garbage and crap

@getitrightquick

7/28/2012 12:35 PM

the bottom bracket sometimes just makes noises, it should fade away.

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

7/28/2012 12:53 PM

Ok well it has seemed to get louder... Ill grease it up soon d see

7/28/2012 12:56 PM

try loosening them up. sometimes cranks can pop like that when they are over tightened.

7/28/2012 1:13 PM

armageddon wrote: try loosening them up. sometimes cranks can pop like that when they are over tightened.

Ya actually i will try that because i remember the cranks creeking a bit befor it started

7/28/2012 2:22 PM

Check also that your chain isn't too loose,that make it pop too.

Refs~ scamhype x 3, pikachu, kroller, Ivan, kingcitybikeco, powerhouse, and traded w/ Jr Faw &Kevin Burnette
Sold 24" complete to some kid on here Chris....something I think.

7/28/2012 2:24 PM

make sure the sprocket is on straight, sometimes the popping is the chain on the sprocket teeth once it gets to a certain position.

7/28/2012 5:39 PM

Sounds exactly like a flat spot in one of the bottom bracket bearings.

You need a good quality Mid bottom bracket

7/28/2012 5:43 PM

sbc785 wrote: make sure the sprocket is on straight, sometimes the popping is the chain on the sprocket teeth once it gets to a certain position.

this

flys like garbage and crap

@getitrightquick

7/29/2012 12:18 AM

Ok so i have a nit of experimenting to be done... Ill try the basic things first and work from there.... Thanks and ill let u know if it works

7/29/2012 12:21 AM

check your sprocket. i have an issue when my drive side reaches the 3 oclock my sprocket is a little further away then it makes my chain really tight and it pops against the side of my chain.

7/29/2012 12:50 AM

kikcer2 wrote: check your sprocket. i have an issue when my drive side reaches the 3 oclock my sprocket is a little further away then it makes my chain really tight and it pops against the side of my chain.

That sounds exactly like mine but mine is at the 12 oclock

7/29/2012 2:39 AM

kikcer2 wrote: check your sprocket. i have an issue when my drive side reaches the 3 oclock my sprocket is a little further away then it makes my chain really tight and it pops against the side of my chain.

TheCantonC wrote: That sounds exactly like mine but mine is at the 12 oclock

Hiw did you fix yours??

7/29/2012 4:28 AM

Ok so i have taken my right crank of and took my sproket off inspected it and twisted it so the teeth were in a diffrent place and it is still happening... I think it is inside the mid bb so i will take a look at that later... Any more ideas??? Shoul i have mt chain loose or tight??thanks guys but it is really annoying as the bike is only newU

7/29/2012 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2012 7:48 AM

If you've checked the sprocket then like I said, its a flat spot in one of the bearings, super common on cheap bikes. Get a new bb

7/29/2012 10:07 AM

BSDizzle wrote: If you've checked the sprocket then like I said, its a flat spot in one of the bearings, super common on cheap bikes. Get a new bb

But my bike is new and it is not ceap

7/29/2012 12:05 PM

If you've been jumping on it then flat spots can happen any time.

Sorry, I didn't mean the whole bike is cheap, but if its a complete the they do scrimp on certain parts to keep the overall cost down.

Take it to your local shop and get them to take a look.

7/29/2012 12:22 PM

BSDizzle wrote: If you've been jumping on it then flat spots can happen any time.

Sorry, I didn't mean the whole bike is cheap, but if its a complete the they do scrimp on certain parts to keep the overall cost down.

Take it to your local shop and get them to take a look.

Ok ya have i have been jumping but only small as am only starting out but i think i have fixed it i took both cranks off and put them back on and tightened them then i tightened the chain and took off my pedals and oil them and it has stopped since.. Am goin to buy some proper lube from my lbs and will grease it up.. Thanks

7/29/2012 2:48 PM

it's your damn sprocket

7/29/2012 3:04 PM

sbc785 wrote: it's your damn sprocket

How couLd it be when i took be when i took it out and made sure it was inline.. I still happened after thy and then i tightened my cranks and oiled my pedals and tightened my chain then it was gone.. I am nearly sure it was the cranks and pedals

7/29/2012 3:14 PM

gonna have to say when you took your crank off that your sprocket realligned itself, it's the most common problem when cranks click, after that it's poorly greased BB bearings and if it was the pedals then the sound would have came from the pedals and not the crank itself.

7/30/2012 1:45 AM

TheCantonC wrote: HI there..I bought a hoffman condor off chainreaction and received it thursday..I have noticed since i got it a popping noise in the cranks..it happens everytime the driveterain side crank reaches the 12 oclock position...I am wondering if the cranks are just wearing in or is it that the are broke?? thanks

Its cause it is brand new... bearings have to wear in and seat properly... it should take 1-2 weeks of riding until it wears in.

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon

photo bike_zpsb600f46b.jpg

Post a Reply to: Brand New Bmx Crank Noise

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm