4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Getting into riding again

6/3/2012 5:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2012 5:16 AM

Dammit, so I recently got back into BMX (I'm 23) and I didn't really bother to check reviews. I bought a BF2 at the store on an impulse and recently bought a pair of Primo hubs laced to the Primo Balance 7005's from Dan's. I thought I would end up having a pretty nice bike and the non-chromo rear triangle of the frame wouldn't really bug me.

Aside from the frame which honestly I'll just beat up til it's done with just like any other bike part, am I going to be fine? Fit does a decent bike once you get level 2 and up right? I know the wheels are pretty good though just from the riding I've been doing. I take it back to the store once a week just to say whats up and have them check out my wheels and even the single wall front is still 100%.

I used to ride from 2004-2007, which is when I rode a Kink Gap(?) which was the shit but it didn't have sealed hubs/BB like the Fit does so I just was impressed that you got that sort of thing for $400 these days. But digging through old threads here, apparently there is a bit of hate for Fit? Not something a new owner really wants to hear..

Check this though, I bought the Primo Balance wheels on recommendation on the dude on the phone, I totally missed the Mint Green Odyssey Hazard Lites for 44.95. I called just to find out my wheel was built within the first 2 hours of their store being open. Meh if anything is shit I'm sure Dans got my back anyway. I'm just a bit concerned since I'm a 220lb rider and it's like 50/50 on those wheels being good or not.

Honestly I'm not really too OCD about gear, I just get butthurt when I don't get the best value for money. Looking back Verde or Amber probably would have been the better purchase, but I also wanted to support my local bike shop.

6/3/2012 5:23 AM

Primo is good, Fit is good. The wheels will be fine, just keep the spokes tight. Amber is definitely the best you can get for your money these days.

6/3/2012 5:44 AM

brianoob wrote: Primo is good, Fit is good. The wheels will be fine, just keep the spokes tight. Amber is definitely the best you can get for your money these days.

Lol I feel pretty stupid explaining to my friend that I bought $350 wheels to go on my perfectly fine $429 bike.

Looking back... I probably coulda got a pretty decent complete, but I'm still learning the basics like I'd like to be able to get foot high hops real soon (I'm close!) and stuff like that. I just rode around back in the day just because I thought BMX bikes were cool and they didn't break down like mountain bikes did for the same money.

I can't wait to feel what the Primo Remix engagement feels like next Thursday when all my stuff gets here. The Fit cassette isn't 100%, I got the odd slip maybe once or twice a day, and I've read a lot of feedback that the Mix/Remix hub is the best you can really do up until the G-Sport Rachet. I've been lurking this forum like a mofo lol.

If a bike shop sells me a bike and gives me a free 1 year tune-up policy, do you think they'll care that my wheels are different? I mean at the end of the day it's the same bike I'm riding right? I didn't wanna buy local cuz Dans has a 10% coupon code now and sales tax plus retail pricing is rape for aftermarket parts.

Yeah I'm excited and ranty to be on a bike again I guess.

6/3/2012 4:09 PM

fit's super good dude, no worries! the primo rims and hubs are great too. have fun

xBMXx.

6/3/2012 4:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2012 4:33 PM

Primos are amazing.
Fits are overpriced spec-wise. But I've got a friend with a like 09 or 2010 prk 1. He can 360, has balls of steel, and has beat that motherfucker to death. Yet it's still stayed good besides his stem snapped. It's pretty much all stock still besides he has my old frame, haro conversion kit back wheel, fit sprocket, and eclat pedals. All I know is it was 27 lbs new.

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/3/2012 6:37 PM

my primo mix is just about instant engagement compared to the stock sealed one i had. its tits

I put my spoke in her while I twisted her nipple.

6/3/2012 8:17 PM

same i love my primo mix. Im also a heavy rider

6/3/2012 11:46 PM

Spenlard wrote: Primos are amazing.
Fits are overpriced spec-wise. But I've got a friend with a like 09 or 2010 prk 1. He can 360, has balls of steel, and has beat that motherfucker to death. Yet it's still stayed good besides his stem snapped. It's pretty much all stock still besides he has my old frame, haro conversion kit back wheel, fit sprocket, and eclat pedals. All I know is it was 27 lbs new.

All stems break, it's just a matter of how violently they let go when they do much like anything else. I even had an S&M that broke, so if that was the only problem, that really puts my worries to rest.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yeah we can't all be skinny, just looking for some tank ass shit. Honestly money isn't a huge problem for me, I coulda got the rollcages but I was looking for color. In hindsight that was a silly call, but to be honest I kinda like breaking stuff too just to see if I can (responsibly of course) :D

6/3/2012 11:54 PM

metalheadification wrote: my primo mix is just about instant engagement compared to the stock sealed one i had. its tits

primo mix is the shit. ive had mine for over 2 years now and have been grinding with it and i have not done much to it except lube it and it still is smooth and engages perfectly

"Forget 'today', 'today' is just tomorrow, disguised as yesterday"
TRANSPORTATION CHECK
Refs: ThrowAfit, 2funny4u, ridebmx456, spikez5, irideafly and a bunch of others, I'M LEGIT.
email= element4all@yahoo.com
facebook.
Instagram

6/4/2012 12:01 AM

Not that I even ride hard enough to even bust my stock Revenge double wall (relabeled Fit part) rear, but I feel that I made a bad call going with the Primo balance wheels since they're drilled for weight savings. I just wanted a matching wheel that was built by pros =(

6/4/2012 12:12 AM

Hey man, lets ride!

6/4/2012 12:17 AM

Chris_Himself wrote: Not that I even ride hard enough to even bust my stock Revenge double wall (relabeled Fit part) rear, but I feel that I made a bad call going with the Primo balance wheels since they're drilled for weight savings. I just wanted a matching wheel that was built by pros =(

not a bad call, those wheels are the shit.

PayPal Verified(;
REFs: 1of1547, Areansfsl, ScramHype, Lirider187, Blizzbikes, tito24 aka mom, ii Krxfted, Broughton, Bmx-junkie, Stoney Hawk

Shadow - Subrosa

6/4/2012 2:16 AM

Verdecustom wrote: Hey man, lets ride!

Sure thing bro!

Where you located? I'm by Moorpark/Saratoga Ave.

I could use some exercise.
Post a Reply to: Getting into riding again

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm