4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Gonna do this to my entire frame

8/19/2012 6:57 PM

So i've been messing around with new paint ideas and a few of you guys were talking about metal flake...so i decided to shoot some rainbow metal flake on my fork cap

it came out really well so i'm gonna paint a frame black with rainbow metal flake, also thinking about doing it to my new hubs i'm gonna get as well.

thoughts?

8/19/2012 7:03 PM

That looks sick, but i don't think you should over do, maybe just paint the frame and that's it? well that's my opinion on it, it will probably look good either way though haha.

8/19/2012 7:10 PM

yeah it's gonna be either just my frame or my hubs as well. The more coats i use the more intense the metal flake, i think i'll do 3 coats because this cap is done in 4.

8/19/2012 7:15 PM

Do your frame, hubs, and face, you know, just for fun! Or you could spray your junk and surprise the wife!

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/19/2012 7:24 PM

she'd think i was edward from Twilight

brilliant!!

8/19/2012 7:25 PM

My buddy did that to his WTP envy frame, it's so gnarly

509-200-327eight. April 14 Bike check
Refs-ninjacat33 x2, Warchol2, A08 x2, fsearles, bmxscout48, blackmammoth, ilovemybike22, ecuadevil, bmx, J.r._Faw, Pavimo, kymike, ScramHype, xlilkillaluc15x, bmxnick2511, semobmx
eBay - 120+ transactions, 100% feedback

8/19/2012 7:30 PM

i had this done to my STA back in 2000, although this paintjob will be done better

8/19/2012 7:35 PM

hubs and frame would be so sick, where can you buy that stuff?

8/19/2012 7:35 PM

That's sick. Where can you get the stuff to do that?

Lol. Xzibit plz
Shakesman69: Seeing a girl on a bike is like seeing a unicorn walking down the main street.
Brokenbmx: i pooped butterflies once.

Bought from: Ridebmx456 TCbmx(x2) Wade., Ticaleb
Sold to: Sprocket: Mike - E, Front Hub: Kroller, Back wheel: imgoingtohavetocuthere
Local deal for a rear wheel with: bmx

8/19/2012 7:41 PM

http://www.spazstix.com/airbrush-paint ;

you can also get it in aerosol cans but the clear coat is made for Lexan and not metal, although you could use it and then use an automotive clear coat over it.

8/19/2012 8:14 PM

Wait, so would this work? I would strip my frame with paint stripper, use primer, then use this "paint", and clearcoat afterwards?

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/19/2012 8:27 PM

Looks fucking sick, I bet if you did enough coats it'd look like a disco ball between your legs.

8/19/2012 8:45 PM

^ :D

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/19/2012 8:56 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote: Wait, so would this work? I would strip my frame with paint stripper, use primer, then use this "paint", and clearcoat afterwards?

you need a base coat, so you could use any color you want, i used black for my cap.

8/19/2012 8:57 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote: Wait, so would this work? I would strip my frame with paint stripper, use primer, then use this "paint", and clearcoat afterwards?

sbc785 wrote: you need a base coat, so you could use any color you want, i used black for my cap.

Say if I put a different color underneath would it look different? You might have a few people on vital jock your style. Lol

8/19/2012 9:03 PM

yeah, i'll see what else i have laying around and try it on other colors.

8/19/2012 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2012 9:27 PM

here's how it looks on raw, i had to take the pic out of focus so you could see the metal flake a little better, don't do this to a raw part because you can't even see it. A dark basecoat will yield better results, helps back the metal flake and make it "pop" more.

i actually used to get all my motocross helmets done in metal flake when i had them custom painted, here's my last helmet i had done. The metal flake was actually mixed in with the paint to do my helmets and the flakes are actually pretty big compared to what i'm using now.

8/25/2012 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/25/2012 7:36 PM

did my stem yesterday, it was matte black....gonna probably strip this, gloss black it and then spray this metal flake

out of all the colors i've tried it's just better to use gloss black as a base coat and the only way around this is to actually mix the metal flake into the color you want instead of the clear.

8/25/2012 8:41 PM

I really like the way it looks on your stem. I have the exact same stem and I think I'm gonna do my stem like that this winter. My frame is Burnt orange metallic so it'll look crispy with a metallic stem I think.

8/25/2012 9:34 PM

So can you buy a can of metallic paint or do you buy the chips and mix it in with your paint...?

8/25/2012 9:39 PM

EffWoodPushers wrote: So can you buy a can of metallic paint or do you buy the chips and mix it in with your paint...?

i buy the flakes and mix it but i have the aerosol as well

8/25/2012 9:47 PM

didn't Harry Main do that to his frame once?

Instagram= suckmydeeeck
Tumblr= http://benkingyo.tumblr.com/

8/25/2012 10:03 PM

you're thinking of this

8/26/2012 3:38 AM

sbc785 wrote: you're thinking of this

I dont think he is, I remember seeing something more similar to metal flake on his fb once...

Bike check

8/26/2012 3:46 AM

NebLikesBMX wrote: didn't Harry Main do that to his frame once?

This what you meant?

Bike check

Post a Reply to: Gonna do this to my entire frame

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm