4li2k73z   Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

How did you get into riding ?

9/5/2012 6:11 PM

So I saw there was an age thread a while ago about when people started riding but I want to know what got you started. I remember how I got started last year. A friend of mine had an eastern bike and he bmxed and I asked if he could give me lessons. Took me 3 weeks to learn how to get the front and back up. And 4 months to learn hops . What about you guys.

" When life gives you lemons, take out your dick and swing it around your head like a cowboy "

- BmxKitten

9/5/2012 6:13 PM

I'm 15 and I've been riding and jumping bikes my whole life. I finally got a good BMX two years ago

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

9/5/2012 6:18 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote: I'm 15 and I've been riding and jumping bikes my whole life. I finally got a good BMX two years ago

I wish I had rode my whole life. But im progressing pretty well.

" When life gives you lemons, take out your dick and swing it around your head like a cowboy "

- BmxKitten

9/5/2012 6:33 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote: I'm 15 and I've been riding and jumping bikes my whole life. I finally got a good BMX two years ago

BmxKitten wrote: I wish I had rode my whole life. But im progressing pretty well.

Well I never did tricks or anything. Just jumping curbs and ledges and stuff. But I guess then when I started BMX I already had skills on a bike so it wasn't too hard for me to get into BMX.

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

9/5/2012 6:35 PM

Last year, mid 2011, I saw my area full of BMX riders getting hooked on it, so I went out and bought a shitty bike. xD Then I built my beast and I still can't do shit. My tricklist is currently footjam rollback, bunnyhop(still suck sometimes), double peg(did one xD), x-up(mini ones off the curb or something), g-turn(kinda). I'm currently learning 180s, and I ride almost completely goofy-footed. I can barely get up curbs by hopping. I have to pick front then back after, almost casing sometimes. Anyways, I've been riding NOT seriously for a couple months now. Not trying, and scared like most of the time.. Not going well.

Most up-to-date/latest bike check.

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/5/2012 6:39 PM

raced MX and BMX since i was 4, i'm 27 now so you do the math, lol.

9/5/2012 6:56 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote: Last year, mid 2011, I saw my area full of BMX riders getting hooked on it, so I went out and bought a shitty bike. xD Then I built my beast and I still can't do shit. My tricklist is currently footjam rollback, bunnyhop(still suck sometimes), double peg(did one xD), x-up(mini ones off the curb or something), g-turn(kinda). I'm currently learning 180s, and I ride almost completely goofy-footed. I can barely get up curbs by hopping. I have to pick front then back after, almost casing sometimes. Anyways, I've been riding NOT seriously for a couple months now. Not trying, and scared like most of the time.. Not going well.

Damn thats prettty bad for over a year. Im currently still making my baby. Well shes made but im slowly removing stock parts. This christmas everything will be aftermarkey except forks, frame, and cranks. But my tricklist is feeble grind, double peg grind, 180s :D, hop tire touch, fakies, 15 different footjams, halfcabs, almost gturns, and im trying barspins. Still getting 180s dialed.

- BmxKitten

9/5/2012 6:56 PM

I wanted to for years when i was younger but the amount it costed to get started just seemed crazy when i was younger, hell a $400 bike seemed to be expensive then. Finally last year i got to pick up my first BMX bike. Now that ive started ill probably never be able to stop

9/5/2012 7:06 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote: Last year, mid 2011, I saw my area full of BMX riders getting hooked on it, so I went out and bought a shitty bike. xD Then I built my beast and I still can't do shit. My tricklist is currently footjam rollback, bunnyhop(still suck sometimes), double peg(did one xD), x-up(mini ones off the curb or something), g-turn(kinda). I'm currently learning 180s, and I ride almost completely goofy-footed. I can barely get up curbs by hopping. I have to pick front then back after, almost casing sometimes. Anyways, I've been riding NOT seriously for a couple months now. Not trying, and scared like most of the time.. Not going well.

BmxKitten wrote: Damn thats prettty bad for over a year. Im currently still making my baby. Well shes made but im slowly removing stock parts. This christmas everything will be aftermarkey except forks, frame, and cranks. But my tricklist is feeble grind, double peg grind, 180s :D, hop tire touch, fakies, 15 different footjams, halfcabs, almost gturns, and im trying barspins. Still getting 180s dialed.

Reading this makes me feel so good about myself...

9/5/2012 7:11 PM

my older friend down my street let me ride his bike alot and it was just really fun so i bought a Haro X0 and thats bout it

Email: benignimatt@gmail.com
Xbox GT: CreeD Viibez

9/5/2012 7:16 PM

BmxKitten wrote: Damn thats prettty bad for over a year. Im currently still making my baby. Well shes made but im slowly removing stock parts. This christmas everything will be aftermarkey except forks, frame, and cranks. But my tricklist is feeble grind, double peg grind, 180s :D, hop tire touch, fakies, 15 different footjams, halfcabs, almost gturns, and im trying barspins. Still getting 180s dialed.

Derek_Bolz wrote: Reading this makes me feel so good about myself...

but you're still Canadian, which is worse than being a shitty bmx rider

'Murrica, FUCK YA!

lol, jk

9/5/2012 7:24 PM

Brokenbmx...

MY SEXY BIKE CHECK!
sunny.jomofo, even more of a bitch than Dane wild!
if you need to talk to me text me 1-734-301-6545

on the legit list
35+ clean refs

9/5/2012 7:24 PM

sbc785 wrote: but you're still Canadian, which is worse than being a shitty bmx rider

'Murrica, FUCK YA!

lol, jk

I think I've progressed quite well for only 3 or 4 months of serious riding

- BmxKitten

9/5/2012 7:25 PM

I was sitting on my computer down about life wondering when i had turned into some fake wannabe gangster faggot and i remembered as a kid i rode bikes so from that day forth i started saving my money and working to get my first bike...... First time in my life i ever worked so hard for something.

9/5/2012 7:28 PM

Aav1996 wrote: I was sitting on my computer down about life wondering when i had turned into some fake wannabe gangster faggot and i remembered as a kid i rode bikes so from that day forth i started saving my money and working to get my first bike...... First time in my life i ever worked so hard for something.

That's actually a cool story bro.

- BmxKitten

9/5/2012 7:30 PM

x-games 99 and tony hawk proskater got me into skating then dave mirra's double flip got me into riding. Soon after the double flip is when I quit skating and just rode everyday. I stopped riding about 2-3 years ago because I had no one to ride with and instead just worked and made some stupid decisions, I've been back on my bike since maybe december and it feels great again. Oh and I'm 22.

9/5/2012 7:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2012 7:49 PM

been riding bikes since I was like 5, I learned without training wheels. I stopped for a long time and I totally forgot what riding a bike felt like. But in about 5th grade I decided to hop on my friends old Next bike and I fell in love. Been on a bike ever since. I didnt really start tricking until like last year though, and I tricked on my fixed gear, but I sold that shit cus it got boring and got the bike I have now and I've never had so much fun on a bike in my life.

If everything was easy, nothing would be worth it.

Checkery of the Bike

9/5/2012 7:59 PM

I guess I tend to get into things for a little while and when I hit a point where I can't do something I want to, I get impatient and quit. Well I got my first skateboard when I was like 9, went to skate camp, but I really couldn't do much other than a mini ollie and drop-ins so I quit. Probably 2 years after that I decided I'd like to give it another shot. (I loved watching X Games and I was beginning to watch skate vids that inspired me) I skated for more and did it with my twin brother some and learned a few new things, but still ended up stopping for a while. When I was about 13 I started riding my old board and realized I hadn't lost any of my ability that I had before and I started improving so I got a pretty nice setup. (My first good deck and trucks) I learned to ollie well, bought a grind rail, dialed F/S and B/S 180s, pop shuv-its, bonelesses, and B/S boardslides. I tried so hard to learn kickflips, but I had no one to teach me and I never was able to really go to the park because it sucked and my parents worked a lot. So kickflips turned out to be the death of my skateboarding career because I could flip it 100% of the time, but never landed both feet. I saw BMX and knew a little about it, but a very limited amount. I decided I would try to learn some beginner stuff on my Mongoose Wal-Mart bike with front and back brakes and reflectors and etc. (haha) I saw Matt Wilhelm's basic flatland stuff so I decided to try to learn from his videos. (I took off the reflectors and gave it a shitty all black paint job without taking the bike apart xD) I don't know why, but I never thought at that time to learn hops or anything, I guess I was only used to seeing BMX Vert and Park from X Games and didn't even know about street or getting air without a ramp. (BTW this is probably shortly after I turned 14) So I did some basic flatland stuff, and I was having fun, but I didn't know what to do next. One day I was just manualing, and I fell straight flat on my back, which knocked the wind out of me and cut up my back. It didn't hurt that bad, but it was kinda weird because it sorta freaked me out that such a simple trick could actually hurt me, I guess I felt like I had no real control over the bike. So I stopped riding after that accident, which may have been a good thing because during my time off I was in the gym a lot getting stronger which helped me control my bike better. I also kept watching BMX videos and found YouTube videos of beginner kids bunnyhopping and stuff. I decided that I was stronger and bigger in general than before and that I might be able to do some small hops. I ended up taking one brake off, kept building and building my bunnyhops, and took the other off. At around this time I started learning more about bikes and that mine was a total piece of shit. I was really interested in bikes though, and the fact that I could work on them well made me feel manly lol. I learned one footers, footjams, 180s, and some other basic stuff. Right before I started trying to learn 3s (last quarter of 2011-2012 school year) I started searching for a new bike on Craigslist. After 2 months, I found a 2008 Eastern Traildigger for $100. The kid lied and said it was an 09 Eastern Element, so I guess I got screwed but I don't regret buying it because there are so few bikes for sale near me. The reason I didn't want to spend much for a nice complete was because I thought it might be like skateboarding and I might just quit it. After buying some parts and riding when I could in summer, I progressed and made my 180s much cleaner and started improving my style. So, finally here I am now. I am still trying to learn flat 3s and barspins, and I'm getting really close on 360s. (I play basketball so I was unable to ride much of that season and my bike was messed up for about a month and a half so I couldn't ride) I turn 16 in 28 days and when I can drive I want to start going to the park more often and I REALLY REALLY want to start riding street. This Xmas I think I'm going to ask for a nice complete because BMX feels like something I will stick with much more so than skating. I really love riding even though I get frustrated at times. So yeah. The shit I'll do to avoid finishing homework... ALSO TLDR: SKATING LED TO RIDING BLAH BLAH BLAH Hopefully you guys read this so I don't feel like I wasted all this time.

Refs: element4all, kroller

9/5/2012 8:01 PM

I think I kinda started around December. All the rest before that was cruising. And I think I got my bike like mid November maybe.

9/5/2012 8:05 PM

It sure does for me when total legit noobs go on here. Not to be mean..

9/5/2012 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2012 8:23 PM

Um. Watched skating vids, loved skating. Kinda saw some bike vids here and there.
All my friends had haros (6th grade ish). And I had a specialized. As I kept riding the specialized itwasn't a good bike in my mind, got a diamondback joker. Broke some shit, needed new parts. So my mom got me an FBM Heathen V2 with money she won from a bar on the sign in. Then I started riding and doing tricks here and there just to get out and hang with my friends. Still how it is, I just like to get air and stuff though and when I find a cool spot I definitely stop and ride it. I also ride by myself, but it all started as us all just gettin' together and having fun. Which I fucking miss haha. I still love riding but now it's more about progressing than pure fun like it was. When I can get the gang together it's amazing though.

So pretty much just a couple friends who went to the skatepark with me got me into riding.

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/5/2012 8:23 PM

Had nothing to do one summer and my buddy left his bike at my house. So, i went outside and built some jumps and started to screw around on the bike. Got hooked, quickly saved some money up and bought my own bike a quickly progressed to catch up with all the other friends i had who rode.

9/5/2012 8:26 PM

i started riding because I used to skate ,went on youtube to look up some vids. Saw Garrett Reynolds in the sidebar and just went from there. INSPIRATION

I helped CrazyClark get banned. Also experienced Sickdude. I got the CK Forks thread deleted...

9/5/2012 8:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2012 8:28 PM

MeRidesBikes wrote: Had nothing to do one summer and my buddy left his bike at my house. So, i went outside and built some jumps and started to screw around on the bike. Got hooked, quickly saved some money up and bought my own bike a quickly progressed to catch up with all the other friends i had who rode.

Omg dude, flashback. I just now realized how I really started riding.
Every year me and my friends have fun day. And we went to the bowling alley and this restaurant. Then we were gonna go I forget where later. And me and a friend went back to my house. I set up Ten-Eighty ramps in the yard and we hit em hahaha. That was in 7th grade shit.

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/5/2012 8:41 PM

I CAN'T COMMIT GODDAMMIT.

9/5/2012 8:51 PM

Spenlard wrote: Um. Watched skating vids, loved skating. Kinda saw some bike vids here and there.
All my friends had haros (6th grade ish). And I had a specialized. As I kept riding the specialized itwasn't a good bike in my mind, got a diamondback joker. Broke some shit, needed new parts. So my mom got me an FBM Heathen V2 with money she won from a bar on the sign in. Then I started riding and doing tricks here and there just to get out and hang with my friends. Still how it is, I just like to get air and stuff though and when I find a cool spot I definitely stop and ride it. I also ride by myself, but it all started as us all just gettin' together and having fun. Which I fucking miss haha. I still love riding but now it's more about progressing than pure fun like it was. When I can get the gang together it's amazing though.

So pretty much just a couple friends who went to the skatepark with me got me into riding.

"So my mom got me an FBM Heathen V2 with money she won from a bar on the sign in"
This is awesome.

9/5/2012 9:41 PM

mike w wrote: "So my mom got me an FBM Heathen V2 with money she won from a bar on the sign in"
This is awesome.

Haha why?

9/6/2012 1:02 AM

Spenlard wrote: Haha why?

It just fits with fbm's style you know its like saying "I bought my bmx with beer money, I went to the bar to get drunk and instead of just getting drunk I got a bike too"

9/6/2012 5:06 AM

I got into riding because my friends were doing it. So I got a GT(:

Follow me on Instagram! @marlozorman

9/6/2012 6:58 AM

sbc785 wrote: but you're still Canadian, which is worse than being a shitty bmx rider

'Murrica, FUCK YA!

lol, jk

BmxKitten wrote: I think I've progressed quite well for only 3 or 4 months of serious riding

Dont listen to those faggots.

You can go out and hop up curbs and and do gturns all day son,if you are havieng more fun on your bike then they are just doing those basic tricks.....you are, in my oppinion, much better then them.

haters gona hate.

My instagram- ride_4130_nicca

Post a Reply to: How did you get into riding ?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm