4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

I'm back!

5/11/2014 6:01 PM

I've been off vital over the winter due to work and all that adult stuff. but ive been riding alot more lately. I've been getting crank arms and all those trendy tricks. Anyways I've come to notice with me personally, maybe with you guys as well, that there is only one group of riders i enjoy riding with. it seems to me atleast, its the dudes my age and older (19+). i have dudes i ride with that are 14-16 and i cant stand riding with them for the simple fact they arent that good and i end up teaching them instead of allowing me to progress. also, the fact they want me to drive around and waste my gas and have them never give me a dime. So im at the point im only gonna ride with he dudes I enjoy riding with to make me a better rider, but also see them progress. I never ask them how to do stuff, i just go for it. It's alot more challenging, but makes it alot funner and makes me happy to ride. Sorry with this random post, just wanted to spread how I noticed how i feel when riding with people.

Smitten In The Mitten

My Whip:
2013 Sunday Funday Aaron Ross Pro "
Ride For:
42North, Run Jelly Pandas, Michigan Local

5/11/2014 7:08 PM

Hey i get that too, Only a certain group I really enjoy riding with. Mine varies though from -2years and +10. It seems though that the younger guys in my area are the ones that are slowing down though which is weird to me. And the older guys thats started to slow down a little are making a big come back. I more-so see it as its the riders that are always challenging themselves are the ones that get me going as well, But if someone is going to rock up to a spot and either sit there or do the same tricks they always do I wont get anywhere as much motivation as I usually would.

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/11/2014 7:16 PM

lol no doubt the people you ride affect your own riding. Whenever I ride with the shitty middle schoolers in my city who can barely bunnyhop (i've only done so a few times), I end up not doing anything. but when i ride with my friends (some who don't even ride bmx, they're just realy good friends), i'm pretty motivated to be myself and do whatever i want.

5/11/2014 8:53 PM

I can't really relate. The only guy i ride with is 19 and cruises on a skateboard.

Check out my skavenger EL BLAAAAAAAAANCO LOCO!

Subscribe to my youtube channel here

Chum is fum

Magic

5/11/2014 9:02 PM

I enjoy riding with the younger riders especially the ones who try new stuff. I like helping them too but it doesn't really slow down my riding much. I still try new things occasionally but my best riding comes out when I'm riding with people as good or better than me. Idk why just gets me pumped.

5/11/2014 9:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote: I enjoy riding with the younger riders especially the ones who try new stuff. I like helping them too but it doesn't really slow down my riding much. I still try new things occasionally but my best riding comes out when I'm riding with people as good or better than me. Idk why just gets me pumped.

I think that (Well for me it is a bit) that you challenge yourself to try and be at their level of riding. When Im riding with people at my level or higher I love being able to try big stuff, like the older guys that ride i look up to and think that their riding is awesome so when they go "ha that was pretty good or something" It give me a sense of achievement.
I don't know thats just what i have come up with

5/11/2014 9:16 PM

jamiespadina wrote: I think that (Well for me it is a bit) that you challenge yourself to try and be at their level of riding. When Im riding with people at my level or higher I love being able to try big stuff, like the older guys that ride i look up to and think that their riding is awesome so when they go "ha that was pretty good or something" It give me a sense of achievement.
I don't know thats just what i have come up with

That could be true.

Years ago when I first started riding I did a lot of things just to try & impress the older riders, but at the same time it was stuff I wanted to do anyway but knowing they'd be stoked to see me do it made me wanna do it even more.

5/11/2014 9:18 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote: That could be true.

Years ago when I first started riding I did a lot of things just to try & impress the older riders, but at the same time it was stuff I wanted to do anyway but knowing they'd be stoked to see me do it made me wanna do it even more.

Yeah thats how i feel.
I only do the kinda stuff I do and i'm not going to change my style or anything for it. But It would just give you that extra effort. mmm Kinda hard to explain but basically what you said.

Whats going to happen when we are the old guys hahah

5/11/2014 9:39 PM

As a person you wouldn't like riding with, I understand. Kids like me just want to learn. And when you do all that cool stuff, it inspires us. But with the gas money thing. Tell them to take a fucking hike. Gaddamn mooches. They have bikes. Ride it lazy assholes.

5/12/2014 9:05 AM

Welcome to the world of a sport dominated by kids in high school and middle school. They want everything for nothing. If you sell parts you will be lowballed to no end. You could literally have a brand new frame never assembled, and the kids will offer 25 bucks for it, and try to claim it is crap to get you to sell cheaper.

Locals always expect the older guys to drive them everywhere and never offer money for gas, or a meal or anything for the trouble. None around me know what riding street means, they think trails are "dialed" when they are basically crumbling and have no lip hardly (think wheel chair ramps on either end with a gap), and they literally look at photos of your bike and ask if they can buy parts off it.

I had a kid add me on instagram and the first thing he said was "wat chrome forks are those, and do u use them" on a picture of MY WHOLE BIKE BUILT UP. It's not like they were just chillin in the background of a shot or anything. They were ON THE BIKE. Then he got upset because I wouldn't sell them.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

5/12/2014 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2014 10:27 AM

As a senior in high school I'm kinda in between I suppose. It pisses me off to no end how shitty and immature some of the younger kids can be, but at the same time I'm not exactly an older rider haha. But yeah, it totally makes sense that you'd progress more from riding with better riders (or even older riders). In my opinion, older riders just have an over all better attitude about riding. For example, my friend threw his bike and bent the fuck out of the spindle and then complained that his dad wouldn't pay to replace them. Then there's me, who's been saving up for a while for new bars, stem, and a back wheel.

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

5/12/2014 12:28 PM

Havent had any experience with Amy rider lol
I am 17, and i woulsomeone someone to drive me unless it would best 24km+, and in that case i would offer money. Once i did 36 im in my bmx, 5 of them uphill.

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/12/2014 12:39 PM

I am a 14 year old kid so I can't relate as much. I dislike when younger, local noobs riding some shit Fit complete tries to tell me how to do a trick while he is trying 180s on a hill and rotating 90 every time.

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/12/2014 12:52 PM

I mostly only ride with skaters since theres not really a bmx scene where I live right now but I'm down to ride with anybody as long as they're not one of those loud obnoxious kids. If there's one thing I hate it's an overly hyper kid that attracts attention and tries way too hard to be funny.

5/12/2014 1:40 PM

When I'm at the skatepark, I don't really ride with kids my age (13-15), because they're all obnoxious (except for this 14 year old girl that skates). Mostly just older kids.

You know what my bike's name is? Bike.
That Emily chick does some damn good shovel work you should get her out at the trails-eskimojay
"Are there any downsides to your career?" "Yup-downside icepicks, but I've never been able to do downside double pegs."-Tony Hamlin
UPDATED BIKE CHECK

Post a Reply to: I'm back!

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm