4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Metal or Plastic Pedals?

5/12/2014 3:31 PM

tell me what you think, should i go metal or plastic? everybody is telling me to get the Wellgo MG52 pedals.

5/12/2014 3:51 PM

All personal preference. If you like your pedals really grippy or go through plastics like crazy then metals may be for you. If not you can go for plastics. I hate feeling locked in to my bike so i go plastic, i have a set of eclat plastics that have lasted me two years, i just make sure I only grind on one side of the pedals.

5/12/2014 4:05 PM

If you put your pedal down alot whilst grinding go plastics or you may tear the pins out on metals.
I'd always go metals though because of the grippyness and the strength, also when you do get shin bash you feel like a man

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/12/2014 4:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2014 4:40 PM

Metal - stronger, stiffer, longer lasting, grippier

Plastic - cheap, light, less grippy, slides on grinds

Plastic with metal - Slides for grinds, lighter, and has the grip of metals.

I wouldn't go as far as to say MG52s are the BEST, but they are REALLY good and REALLY cheap. Odyssey Trailmixes and Fly Rubens are definitely better but at a big cost.

Plastic- Kink Senec
Metal- Odyssey Trailmix, Fly Ruben, Wellgo MG52
Plastic w/ metal- Odyssey JC/PC

Life behind bars.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

For sale!! 21" The Make Croft $100, Mutiny Glam v2 $20, Custom trans blue Odyssey Lumberjacks $20! Get at me!

5/12/2014 6:10 PM

Well if you're like me and you suck at feebles and put your pedal own A LOT, then you may wanna get some JCPCs.

Bike Check
PLEASE LIKE THIS
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/12/2014 6:36 PM

its mostly personal preference but metals for sure lol.

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike

5/12/2014 7:09 PM

Metal or jcpcs

THOU SHALL NOT COMMIT SKOOTERY
Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype
text me323.245.2827

5/12/2014 7:27 PM

im going to go against the trend here but fuck metals
go ahead and try a wide out extension no footer to shin and tell me you prefer metals
plastics all the way
i cant do pedal feebles with metal

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username
timedrifter (aka chodebike fag), you are the poster child for abortion
shitlist: timedrifter, rxking, crazyclark, _reyesbmx_, thuglifebmxriderz
RIP VITALBMXV2 Sept 2013-January 2014

5/12/2014 7:38 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote: im going to go against the trend here but fuck metals
go ahead and try a wide out extension no footer to shin and tell me you prefer metals
plastics all the way
i cant do pedal feebles with metal

I have done this countless times with metals. Honestly, I dont notice it anymore than a shinner from a plastic. I wear jeans when I ride, which gives a little protection (not really.) Ive gashed my shins pretty badly and it stung for a minute and I just rode it off and let it scab up.

One thing I have noticed is shinners are usually easy to avoid. I can usually get my legs out of the way almost like its an instinct. If I slip a pedal in mid air I just jump off or bail, whatevers more appropriate for the situation. Sometimes ill even land one footed and have my leg raised up damn near parallel to the ground just to avoid the pedal without bailing haha.

Ofcourse, youre more prone to getting a shinner with plastics aswell. They just dont grip aswell.

Life behind bars.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

For sale!! 21" The Make Croft $100, Mutiny Glam v2 $20, Custom trans blue Odyssey Lumberjacks $20! Get at me!

5/12/2014 8:15 PM

I have the MG-52's and they are solid. Before these I ran Primo tenderizers for about 15yrs. Here's why the MG-52's are the best. They are Magnesium, replacable pins, SEALED and they are only 39.99 which is cheap especially for SEALED pedals. I tried Plastic for one summer to see what the rage was all about. I destroyed 2 sets of pedals in one summer. I had Primo PC tenderizers wich I actually kind of like until I bust them in half and my other pair were Stolen Thermalites which just wore out to fast. Plastic are just a waste of time and money. If you ride PC pedals you need to carry a couple extra pairs with you at all times just incase.

Also, I have to comment about all the pussies complaining about getting shinned with metals. Grow the fuck up and take it like a MAN! Its called Impact strengthening, It will make your shins stronger. Also If you take a couple pins out, you dont have to worry about it as much. Or there is these things called shin guards if youre that big of a pussy.

5/12/2014 8:27 PM

michael.eckhart wrote: I have the MG-52's and they are solid. Before these I ran Primo tenderizers for about 15yrs. Here's why the MG-52's are the best. They are Magnesium, replacable pins, SEALED and they are only 39.99 which is cheap especially for SEALED pedals. I tried Plastic for one summer to see what the rage was all about. I destroyed 2 sets of pedals in one summer. I had Primo PC tenderizers wich I actually kind of like until I bust them in half and my other pair were Stolen Thermalites which just wore out to fast. Plastic are just a waste of time and money. If you ride PC pedals you need to carry a couple extra pairs with you at all times just incase.

Also, I have to comment about all the pussies complaining about getting shinned with metals. Grow the fuck up and take it like a MAN! Its called Impact strengthening, It will make your shins stronger. Also If you take a couple pins out, you dont have to worry about it as much. Or there is these things called shin guards if youre that big of a pussy.

15 years??!! Dayum. Did you really like them? Cuz it seems I scored. *insert every beavis and butthead quote ever*

5/12/2014 10:46 PM

michael.eckhart wrote: I have the MG-52's and they are solid. Before these I ran Primo tenderizers for about 15yrs. Here's why the MG-52's are the best. They are Magnesium, replacable pins, SEALED and they are only 39.99 which is cheap especially for SEALED pedals. I tried Plastic for one summer to see what the rage was all about. I destroyed 2 sets of pedals in one summer. I had Primo PC tenderizers wich I actually kind of like until I bust them in half and my other pair were Stolen Thermalites which just wore out to fast. Plastic are just a waste of time and money. If you ride PC pedals you need to carry a couple extra pairs with you at all times just incase.

biggybuggy wrote: 15 years??!! Dayum. Did you really like them? Cuz it seems I scored. *insert every beavis and butthead quote ever*

Yes, I did like them. I liked the concave design they used and they were strong and stylish for the time. I tried the PC version a couple years ago but busted them pretty quick. I also want to add that i had several pairs over 15yrs, not just one pair that lasted 15yrs. I had bought the Sealed ones, they might have lasted longer. But back then you could hardly get sealed pedals for less then 60 bucks.

5/12/2014 11:13 PM

To anyone saying pc pedals are for pussies, they're not. Pc pedals can & WILL still cause significant damage.

Exhibit A-

Feeble to crankflip to smack the fuck out of my shin, wearing jeans, with plastic Animal pedals. Hurt like a bitch & didn't stop bleeding for hours, didn't heal fully for weeks either.

Exhibit B-

No photos, but a tailwhip to slipped pedal = destroyed shin. Swelled up super bad & the swelling met my ankle too, hurt so bad it actually gave me a nose bleed.

I have a pretty high pain tolerance too but several messed up whips straight to the shin over & over does add up.

As for the original question, go with whichever you feel you'd like more. I personal love pc pedals cause they don't lock me in as much cause when I do certain tricks I need to move my feet around sometimes easier.

5/12/2014 11:18 PM

Welgo mg52 are a good pedal for the price, much better option then claiming you want plastic pedals to save money then spend more on replacement plastic or snap them and injure yourself then You would have with metal pedals in the long run..... My mg52s are years old and still in good shape

5/13/2014 3:47 AM

Premium Mag's gave me this beaut, still ride metal tho, may get more damage from metals, but they grip better 99% of the time

5/13/2014 5:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2014 2:40 PM

What Mike is forgetting to tell you is he is fuck-footed, meaning he grinds right but is left foot forward and spins left. Also that back in the day I recall seeing him run shin guards sometimes

Now this matters because back in the day we rode together and he used what I call "cheater foot" on some grinds, he would put his pedal down on his back foot to stabilize the grind some. Not sure if this contributed to him going through plastics, BUT it could.

Now my experience with Twisteds is the opposite, I have been running the same set for two years now, still have plenty of grip, but I don't do pedal grinds or put my pedals down in grinds.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

5/14/2014 7:41 AM

Metal!
They just feel better, I love my Fly Rubens
it comes down to preference, I like a lot of grip!

5/14/2014 10:18 AM

they both can destroy shins. yes, metal will fuck you up more, but its not like the plastic is very forgiving either.

so aside from the which will do more damage to you, it is all a preference related to your style of riding.

Wallride everything.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher

5/15/2014 8:50 PM

any thoughts on demolition trooper pedals? cnc aluminium ones

5/15/2014 10:33 PM

Odyssey Twisted pedals.

Plastic , but lasted me over a summer of riding a couple hours everyday. Learned alot on them and they lasted fine. Super grippy. I swear by them.

Puberty hit Hermoine like a bus...

#Lacehubsnotweed

Check out my whip here

5/16/2014 12:31 AM

Plastic because at the end of the day no one really likes having their shin gashed up. Metal pedals add more weight to the end of the crank arm, so when my foot slips with metal pedals the crank arms spin way faster into my shin than plastics do. Also it feels like plastic pedals always stay where I want them...

2013 gt zone

5/16/2014 12:36 AM

thanks. i better stick to my quite grippy stolen
Post a Reply to: Metal or Plastic Pedals?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm