4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Need help deciding which cranks I should buy?

7/8/2014 3:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2014 3:31 PM

I bought Profile GDH cranks about 9 months ago and bent the spindle learning crooked grinds last week (i also grinded down the left side looping out of a feeble, so now its sharp even after trying to smooth it. hard to see in pic). I also felt like they were to delicate to even try crank arm grinds on. I didn't like the length of them and i have no warranty so i've decided to buy new cranks instead of replacing the spindle.
Im not sure if i should buy the Demolition revolts and save almost $60 or spend it and get the Fit indents (would also need a new Bottom Bracket). Im basically looking for cranks that are strong, chrome, and 170mm.
Open to any suggestions, thanks.

7/8/2014 3:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2014 3:40 PM

How did you bend a spindle on a crooked? And as to the cranks not handling crank arm grinds, I ran a set without issue doing all kinds of crap to them, weighing in at 250 lbs and never bent them or had an issue...

My Premium 1948s are solid and have lasted me over 2 years now. I got them purely because they are chrome. I'm lame like that and wanted chrome cranks bars fork and frame.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

7/8/2014 3:38 PM

Demo Revolts, Fit Indents, Eclat Tibeas, Odyssey Thunderbolts, and Premium 1948s are good. I'm pretty sure they all come in chrome and 170mm as well.

I have Revolts and I love them but you really can't go wrong with any of the one's I listed above.

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

7/8/2014 3:44 PM

your chain is on wrong

7/8/2014 4:18 PM

dave lawrence wrote: How did you bend a spindle on a crooked? And as to the cranks not handling crank arm grinds, I ran a set without issue doing all kinds of crap to them, weighing in at 250 lbs and never bent them or had an issue...

My Premium 1948s are solid and have lasted me over 2 years now. I got them purely because they are chrome. I'm lame like that and wanted chrome cranks bars fork and frame.

Idk maybe it wasnt a crooked grind but thats the only thing i can think of it being. And i know 3 people of have snapped them on crank arm grinds so i didnt want to bother. And you haven't had any problem with the 1948s?

7/8/2014 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2014 4:21 PM

Fit indent 24's they kick ass and come with their own bottom bracket

7/8/2014 4:26 PM

eskimojay wrote: Fit indent 24's they kick ass and come with their own bottom bracket

They do?! Then i guess i'll get them! I thought i would need to buy another bottom bracket but thats great

7/8/2014 4:53 PM

eskimojay wrote: Fit indent 24's they kick ass and come with their own bottom bracket

I loved mine, but, as Dave said, I mostly got them because they were chrome, but also came with a bb. My only issue was I ordered 175's but got 170's.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/8/2014 6:04 PM

Fit indent 24mm spline drive! Had the the bolt drive ones too...either way you can't go wrong..they're beefy as hell but still light no flex at all and are made to grind on! As other members already stated they come with bottom bracket kit. If you order from Dans use the dans25 code and you'll spend about $155! Can't beat that! Get them and you won't be sorry!

7/8/2014 6:26 PM

indents if you eventually want to do LHD, otherwise, Thunderbolts all the way.

"The D.O.S. System"
dk, Odyssey, Shadow.
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/9/2014 7:47 AM

DO NOT get indents. Dumbest idea ever. The 24mm spindle size results in a more "spread out" bearing, weakening it for no reason as there is nothing at all wrong with 22mm spindles. God kids will buy anything.
First choice: Odyssey Thunderbolts.
Second choice: thunderbolts.
Third choice: if you really can't find thunderbolts due to pricing or whatnot, eclat tibias, or virtually any other "decent" brand.

Insta: @devicacy

7/9/2014 9:29 AM

I love my GDH's They are some seriously strong cranks.

7/9/2014 9:57 AM

Bonedeth Penatrators are definitely the way to go, they come in 170mm in chrome and if they hold up for Alex Liiv and Sean Burns I think you will be alright

7/9/2014 5:42 PM

realityisajoke wrote: DO NOT get indents. Dumbest idea ever. The 24mm spindle size results in a more "spread out" bearing, weakening it for no reason as there is nothing at all wrong with 22mm spindles. God kids will buy anything.
Third choice: if you really can't find thunderbolts due to pricing or whatnot, eclat tibias, or virtually any other "decent" brand.

Let me guess...you have thunderbolts..and anyone else that doesn't is an idiot?? Right?? Are you serious saying Fit isn't a "decent" brand?? I guess guys like Dan Conway, Van Homan, Ben Lewis aren't that hard on their cranks?? Because the bearings are "spaced out"! You must be spaced out!! Lol..and guess what éclat is now making their Onyx cranks in 24mm...Just because you don't have them or like them doesn't mean they suck. That's the dumbest idea ever!

7/9/2014 6:19 PM

That^^^ indent 24 s are solid as fuck I doubt realityisajoke's riding ability is capable of breaking them

7/9/2014 6:31 PM

realityisajoke wrote: DO NOT get indents. Dumbest idea ever. The 24mm spindle size results in a more "spread out" bearing, weakening it for no reason as there is nothing at all wrong with 22mm spindles. God kids will buy anything.

lbphillyrider wrote: Let me guess...you have thunderbolts..and anyone else that doesn't is an idiot?? Right?? Are you serious saying Fit isn't a "decent" brand?? I guess guys like Dan Conway, Van Homan, Ben Lewis aren't that hard on their cranks?? Because the bearings are "spaced out"! You must be spaced out!! Lol..and guess what éclat is now making their Onyx cranks in 24mm...Just because you don't have them or like them doesn't mean they suck. That's the dumbest idea ever!

Damn!! This.. Fit is great lol don't know what he's talking about :/

Bicycle motor-cross Motor bicycle-cross Bicycle cross-motor Motor cross-bicycle!

7/9/2014 7:42 PM

lbphillyrider wrote: Let me guess...you have thunderbolts..and anyone else that doesn't is an idiot?? Right?? Are you serious saying Fit isn't a "decent" brand?? I guess guys like Dan Conway, Van Homan, Ben Lewis aren't that hard on their cranks?? Because the bearings are "spaced out"! You must be spaced out!! Lol..and guess what éclat is now making their Onyx cranks in 24mm...Just because you don't have them or like them doesn't mean they suck. That's the dumbest idea ever!

Hah, i was expecting someone to get butthurt about this.
No. I don't own thunderbolts. I own Madera Protocol HT cranks, but I would much prefer thunderbolts.
I'm trying to help this dude out, not be a stuck up asshole about it.
It's simple. Your bearings will not last as long if they're spread out. Think about it. It's entirely pointless, given that there are no issues with well made 22mm cranks and bearings, take the Tibias for example.
I'm not saying he's going to break the bearings, but if you're buying new cranks, I don't know why you would go for something that is weaker and pointless. The thunderbolt wedge system trumps that as well.
I doubt Conway, Lewis, homan, whatever care either way, but you also must remember they build up a new bike on a regular basis.
Either way I don't appreciate you being a complete cunt about it, get your head out of your ass and fucking think about it. Have YOU broken a solid 22mm spindle?
This dude can buy what he likes, if a bigger spindle makes you guys feel tough then go ahead I guess, trying to help him, but I really don't care.

7/9/2014 7:45 PM

eskimojay wrote: That^^^ indent 24 s are solid as fuck I doubt realityisajoke's riding ability is capable of breaking them

I never said I could break them? I said the bearings will be spread out. Why the fuck would I recommend 22mm cranks if I thought I could break a 24mm spindle? I'm trying to help this guy out. If you're buying a new product, why would you not go for a stronger and superior product?

7/9/2014 7:53 PM

realityisajoke wrote: Hah, i was expecting someone to get butthurt about this.
No. I don't own thunderbolts. I own Madera Protocol HT cranks, but I would much prefer thunderbolts.
It's simple. Your bearings will not last as long if they're spread out. Think about it. It's entirely pointless, given that there are no issues with well made 22mm cranks and bearings, take the Tibias for example.
I'm not saying he's going to break the bearings, but if you're buying new cranks, I don't know why you would go for something that is weaker and pointless. The thunderbolt wedge system trumps that as well.
I doubt Conway, Lewis, homan, whatever care either way, but you also must remember they build up a new bike on a regular basis.
Either way I don't appreciate you being a complete cunt about it, get your head out of your ass and fucking think about it. Have YOU broken a solid 22mm spindle?
This dude can buy what he likes, if a bigger spindle makes you guys feel tough then go ahead I guess, trying to help him, but I really don't care.

the 24mm bearings are in fact, not weaker.

"With a new spindle size, the question a lot of people will be asking, is to the size and durability of the bottom bracket. Much to the relief of the skeptics, these cranks take a Mid bottom bracket meaning they will fit the majority of frames on the market. If you were to take apart the 24mm Mid bearing kit which comes standard with the cranks (and available separately), you would find the same insides and bearing structure as a regular 22mm Mid BB. All Fit have done, is take a 22mm bearing and add a custom inner race that allows for the extra clearance you need for the 24mm spindle. This new bearing has been tested by the team for a long period of time and has shown no durability or longevity issues over any other current bottom bracket choice."

All they have done is made the inner bearing race smaller, you would know that if you would "get your head out of your ass and fucking think" and do research.

therefore it's same exact bearing, just a smaller race. Not smaller ball bearings, just a smaller inner race.

Also a larger spindle allows for more material to be removed, allowing the spindle to shed weight without losing much strength. I personally don't care about that but some people do.

I do however agree that the Thunderbolt cranks would be a better choice, but Fit wouldn't be a bad choice either. I rode the 19mm versions for a really long time with no problems aside from them getting the "wobble" that 48 spline cranks get.

7/9/2014 8:37 PM

Also, saying a larger spindle diameter would result in the bearing being more spread out doesn't make sense.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/9/2014 9:45 PM

IM inbetween with this
there is nothing wrong with a good 22mm spindle and if the inner race wasn't custom it would cause the bearings to be smaller and thus spread out. So you will need to only use fit bb's if you want the same strength or uf another brand makes it the same with a custom inner race. You are both right but seeing if they didn't make a custom one it would be weaker and the fact that their is nothing wrong with a 22mm spindle

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/9/2014 9:46 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote: the 24mm bearings are in fact, not weaker.

"With a new spindle size, the question a lot of people will be asking, is to the size and durability of the bottom bracket. Much to the relief of the skeptics, these cranks take a Mid bottom bracket meaning they will fit the majority of frames on the market. If you were to take apart the 24mm Mid bearing kit which comes standard with the cranks (and available separately), you would find the same insides and bearing structure as a regular 22mm Mid BB. All Fit have done, is take a 22mm bearing and add a custom inner race that allows for the extra clearance you need for the 24mm spindle. This new bearing has been tested by the team for a long period of time and has shown no durability or longevity issues over any other current bottom bracket choice."

All they have done is made the inner bearing race smaller, you would know that if you would "get your head out of your ass and fucking think" and do research.

therefore it's same exact bearing, just a smaller race. Not smaller ball bearings, just a smaller inner race.

Also a larger spindle allows for more material to be removed, allowing the spindle to shed weight without losing much strength. I personally don't care about that but some people do.

I do however agree that the Thunderbolt cranks would be a better choice, but Fit wouldn't be a bad choice either. I rode the 19mm versions for a really long time with no problems aside from them getting the "wobble" that 48 spline cranks get.

i have researched this, and yes i remember when fit brought these out and said why they are no weaker than "regular" bbs, thanks for telling me what i know. i actually talked it over with a teacher one day at school, and the way it was explained to me was that the smaller race will be a weaker race, there is less room between the ball bearings and the spindle.

i told him to" get his head out his ass" cuz he was talking shit, telling me i'm spaced out or just jealous or whatever.
if he cares to bring a conflicting opinion that's great, but he backed it up with basically nothing other than "cool guys ride it"

and thank you for agreeing with me on the thunderbolts.

7/9/2014 10:15 PM

realityisajoke wrote: i have researched this, and yes i remember when fit brought these out and said why they are no weaker than "regular" bbs, thanks for telling me what i know. i actually talked it over with a teacher one day at school, and the way it was explained to me was that the smaller race will be a weaker race, there is less room between the ball bearings and the spindle.

i told him to" get his head out his ass" cuz he was talking shit, telling me i'm spaced out or just jealous or whatever.
if he cares to bring a conflicting opinion that's great, but he backed it up with basically nothing other than "cool guys ride it"

I highly doubt the small amount of material they took away from the inner race would make THAT much of a difference. Sure, they're a tiny bit weaker, but not weak enough that they're vulnerable to breaking so easily.

Fit's team is pretty stacked, and while yes they can get a new BB whenever they need it, I'm positive they wouldn't just replace a BB every 2 weeks without tackling the problem at hand, for many reasons such as Fit losing money on those bearings they keep just handing out to their team members, or team member complaints, for two.

7/10/2014 12:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2014 12:32 AM

realityisajoke wrote: Hah, i was expecting someone to get butthurt about this.

sundaybmxRR wrote: the 24mm bearings are in fact, not weaker.

realityisajoke wrote: i have researched this, and yes i remember when fit brought these out and said why they are no weaker than "regular" bbs, thanks for telling me what i know. i actually talked it over with a teacher one day at school, and the way it was explained to me was that the smaller race will be a weaker race, there is less room between the ball bearings and the spindle.

I was gonna leave this alone as I am no little kid and I'm not gonna go back and forth on some stupid shit but since you called me out I guess I'll defend my post. First off you said you were trying to help this person out.. How? By telling him to go get cranks you don't even have?? The ones you heard were good?? While myself and a few other members were suggesting cranks we actually have and ride. Then you arrogantly tell him what we were suggesting was "stupid" because you and your teacher talked about some inner spacing between bearing races and blah,blah,blah..actin like you know something nobody else knows, like your google bar is different than everyone else's...and the "cool guys" comment was about if this is who Fit gives there products out to test on, and they're happy enough with the feedback from these guys to put them into production, than they should be good enough for people like us. And suggesting Fit isn't a "decent" brand is just absurd. Next time you want to "help someone out" don't tell them buy something you don't even have while knocking what other people suggesting and trying to sound like the smartest person in the room..as you were proven wrong. In the end it's all the same really..to the person looking for cranks..I'm sure whatever ones you wind up getting will "Fit" you fine..and don't listen to assholes .

7/10/2014 1:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2014 1:44 AM

Get cranks with 22mm spindle. Thunderbolts, Powerbites/Hollowbites, Tibia...

If you get the Fit Indents 24, then get a frame with Spanish BB in the near future...

You might have a problem with bearings as the 24mm cranks only have mid bearings, as of now... i think...

╭∩╮(︶︵︶)╭∩╮

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

7/10/2014 9:00 AM

lbphillyrider wrote: I was gonna leave this alone as I am no little kid and I'm not gonna go back and forth on some stupid shit but since you called me out I guess I'll defend my post. First off you said you were trying to help this person out.. How? By telling him to go get cranks you don't even have?? The ones you heard were good?? While myself and a few other members were suggesting cranks we actually have and ride. Then you arrogantly tell him what we were suggesting was "stupid" because you and your teacher talked about some inner spacing between bearing races and blah,blah,blah..actin like you know something nobody else knows, like your google bar is different than everyone else's...and the "cool guys" comment was about if this is who Fit gives there products out to test on, and they're happy enough with the feedback from these guys to put them into production, than they should be good enough for people like us. And suggesting Fit isn't a "decent" brand is just absurd. Next time you want to "help someone out" don't tell them buy something you don't even have while knocking what other people suggesting and trying to sound like the smartest person in the room..as you were proven wrong. In the end it's all the same really..to the person looking for cranks..I'm sure whatever ones you wind up getting will "Fit" you fine..and don't listen to assholes .

did i ever say fit was not a decent brand? no. again, you're putting words in my mouth, i don't appreciate that buddy.
most of my friends ride thunderbolts, ive ridden thunderbolts, just cuz i can't afford new cranks doesn't mean they're not the best ones out right now.
i called you out cuz you were talking shit, not cuz i wanted to start anything.
it is stupid, its unnecessary improvement, with the potential for failure. that is stupid.
i made it clear earlier i was not trying to be arrogant, take it how you want, im not saying im the smartest person in the room, although you clearly aren't.

for the record, i was not proven wrong, so don't say i was.

if you want to become captain butthurt over a damn "which part" post be my guest, but seriously, don't you have better things to worry about?

7/10/2014 9:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2014 9:09 AM

holy fucking argument. What you actually want is stolen mob or nitrous shifter cranks. 8spline pinchbolt>all

I'm on the vital legit list!

Don't Sweat The Streets

7/10/2014 9:19 AM

tomdon wrote: holy fucking argument. What you actually want is stolen mob or nitrous shifter cranks. 8spline pinchbolt>all

hahaha i know right. and yes, somebody buy the 8 splines in my basement lol

7/10/2014 10:58 AM

Macneil cranks have been solid for me , I really want some Indent 24mm or Eclat Mavericks

"When I get a new bike I'm taking a shitload of pre-workout suppliments and going fucking crazy the first day and flip - whip off a roof !"

Check out my STOLEN whip here

7/10/2014 2:19 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: Macneil cranks have been solid for me , I really want some Indent 24mm or Eclat Mavericks

I gotta be more canadian and try out some MacNeil stuff one of these days ....think next time I break a part I'll try out something MacNeil their stuff looks pretty good
Post a Reply to: Need help deciding which cranks I should buy?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm