4li2k73z   Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

ODI LONGNECK HELP ! ! ! ! !

2/12/2010 6:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2010 6:48 AM

I got some black ODI Longnecks and I was going to put the barends I just bought on and I relized that the ODI longnecks have these really grippy built in barends that I don't like cuz they grap on to your clothes when you do barspins

How do I take them off?

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

2/12/2010 6:48 AM

you ride them till the bars punch holes through or cut them off

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

2/12/2010 6:49 AM

razor blade

2/12/2010 6:51 AM

Put the grip on the bar. Take a hammer and tap around the bar end. The pressure between the hammer and the handle bar will cut a perfect circle in the end of the grip. Remove the little round piece of grip, insert new barend and your done!

Proverbs 3:5-6

2/12/2010 6:52 AM

cupovjoe wrote: you ride them till the bars punch holes through or cut them off

Do I just cuz a hole in the center of them or cut the straight off to the grip?

☻/
/▌
/ \

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

2/12/2010 6:52 AM

I said, tap! Not bang! This will leave the nice finished round edges of the grip in tact but cut a perfect hole the size of the bar to allow the barend to plug into.

2/12/2010 6:53 AM

Do what I just told you. YOu won't need to cut anything The grips will look like they came that way I swear!

2/12/2010 6:53 AM

Drnwagn wrote: I said, tap! Not bang! This will leave the nice finished round edges of the grip in tact but cut a perfect hole the size of the bar to allow the barend to plug into.

thats pretty good idea

2/12/2010 6:54 AM

This is how we used to install bar ends on mtn bikes when they first came out when I worked in a bike shop. It looks very professional when done and everybody has a damn hammer!

2/12/2010 7:06 AM

Drnwagn wrote: Put the grip on the bar. Take a hammer and tap around the bar end. The pressure between the hammer and the handle bar will cut a perfect circle in the end of the grip. Remove the little round piece of grip, insert new barend and your done!

OH ok thanks and how do you install the grips cuz the ziptie way won't work

☻/
/▌
/ \

2/12/2010 7:07 AM

Drnwagn wrote: I said, tap! Not bang! This will leave the nice finished round edges of the grip in tact but cut a perfect hole the size of the bar to allow the barend to plug into.

No cuz then the barends will be sitting on the left over built in barend

☻/
/▌
/ \

2/12/2010 7:09 AM

WHAT??? What do you mean ZIP Tie???

Seriously, get some hair spray, alcohol (don't mean a beer either) or even spit (takes longer to dry though) and wet the inside of the grips. Put a little on the bar. Slide it on.

If you really want to ride right away and they are still wet, you can take a screw driver (phillips--the one that looks like a plus on the end) and slip it under the grip to create a pocket (between the grip and the bar) and hold a hair dryer on it to help dry it out. Pull the screw driver out and go play. Repeat if needed.

2/12/2010 7:10 AM

Drnwagn wrote: WHAT??? What do you mean ZIP Tie???

Seriously, get some hair spray, alcohol (don't mean a beer either) or even spit (takes longer to dry though) and wet the inside of the grips. Put a little on the bar. Slide it on.

If you really want to ride right away and they are still wet, you can take a screw driver (phillips--the one that looks like a plus on the end) and slip it under the grip to create a pocket (between the grip and the bar) and hold a hair dryer on it to help dry it out. Pull the screw driver out and go play. Repeat if needed.

How long does it take to dry?

☻/
/▌
/ \

2/12/2010 7:12 AM

Click on my avatar picture. You can see what mine look like. Mine have a flare at the end which is what yours would probably end up looking like. Sort of a natural stop for your hand if you will. Same principle as to why the head on your penis is bigger than the shaft fool. Too keep your hand from flying off!

Seriously, if you don't like the way that looks then you can simply take a box knife or razor blade and cut the whole end off. This in affect shortens the grip though. it is totally up to you.

2/12/2010 7:13 AM

My Longnecks didn't have a solid end... I'm confused... what are you talking about! I installed my grips and put fit bar ends on without having to do anything... ???

Photobucket

2/12/2010 7:13 AM

It depends on how wet you get them. Hair spray dries pretty quick. Maybe 30 minutes- 1 hour??? A hair drier can speed up the process though if need be.

2/12/2010 7:14 AM

Those are the worst barends to get out, I just grabbed pliars and pulled them out

Drnwagn wrote: Click on my avatar picture. You can see what mine look like. Mine have a flare at the end which is what yours would probably end up looking like. Sort of a natural stop for your hand if you will. Same principle as to why the head on your penis is bigger than the shaft fool. Too keep your hand from flying off!

Seriously, if you don't like the way that looks then you can simply take a box knife or razor blade and cut the whole end off. This in affect shortens the grip though. it is totally up to you.

Ok I will try it your way

☻/
/▌
/ \

bmx214 wrote: My Longnecks didn't have a solid end... I'm confused... what are you talking about! I installed my grips and put fit bar ends on without having to do anything... ???

They have barends at the end

☻/
/▌
/ \

2/12/2010 7:19 AM

If the plastic is super hard (not familiar with this grip) you may have to cut part of it off with the razor anyway. If I had to go that route, I would maybe only cut at the first little seam line and leave a bit of the flare if you will.

Let me know how it works out for you.

2/12/2010 7:20 AM

Zachy D wrote:
They have barends at the end

weird... I had no idea they were coming like that now... mine came with plastic plug style ODI bar ends. And DrnWagn is totally correct on the grip installation. That's exactly how I installed mine... I even did the screwdriver / hairdryer trick cuz I used too much hairspray and it was taking forever to dry, LOL! ...and here I thought I had come up with this great idea, turns out that's common knowledge, lol.

Photobucket

2/12/2010 7:23 AM

Apparently it is not common knowledge!

But hey, you figured it out on your own so that is worth something right! Way to go!

Zach on the other hand just needs a little bit more help every now and then! No problem, that is what we are here for.

2/12/2010 7:29 AM

um didnt read the whole thing but if ur talking about a easy way to get a plug barend out..lol just use tat thing tat u pull the cock off redwines

2/12/2010 7:32 AM

Uh...Corkscrew????

2/12/2010 7:56 AM

Hey Drnwagn thanks I installed them exactially the way you said and I love the way the barends look by doing the hammer thing.

☻/
/▌
/ \

2/12/2010 8:04 AM

Glad to hear it. It is a much nicer finish and you don't lose any of the length of the grip. Glad you tried it.

2/12/2010 8:21 AM

use WD-40 it dries in like a hour and your grips will be rock soild for life
Post a Reply to: ODI LONGNECK HELP ! ! ! ! !

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm