4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Official Chain Thread!

3/4/2014 12:45 PM

Ok, there has been quite a bit of confusion, as well as questions and several threads regarding the strength and comparability of chains and drivers, so, with the help of some of the other members input, experience, and knowledge, we should have a pretty complete guide here.

The following pic is of the KMC510HX, the KMC415, and the Wippermann 1G8. The pic is a little misleading, because the 415's pin width is actually about .025 wider than the 1G8 on average, which means it will fit even less drive trains that the 1G8.

In this next pic, you can see where the 415's rollers are recessed further between the side plates, making the rollers ride almost at the tip of a 9t driver, which is no good, unless you enjoy replacing drivers fairly often due to broken teeth.

Here is a side shot of the three together. You can plainly see how much wider the 415's plates are at the plate/pin interface. It almost makes the 1G8 look like a normal chain.

From experience, I know that the 1G8 will not fit 9 or 10t drivers with squared tips, like the Ratchet drivers. The rollers are slightly larger so they won't clear the square edges to mesh. I modded a 10t driver to run one on my 20".

I installed, or attempted to install the 415 on my current bike, but only the tips of the teeth contacted the rollers due to the size of the side plates.

This is going to be a compilation thread, so anyone with real experience can add. It may be edited to keep it on subject though.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

3/4/2014 12:52 PM

thats a

selling refs: NikeOGD, maxbakerman, daniel 21, effigy, tjthemaxx, BmxRida4lyfe, PaViMo, JoeGreen, louie101202, Joao, Turbodsingle (x3), jmez123, ecuadevil, irideafly, motogrizz, Edge814, i like too bike (x2), Marco_Gonzalez, Mike - E, Brokenbmx, bmxsteve99
Instagram Credence MOD

3/4/2014 1:35 PM

ticaleb wrote: thats a

That. It seems fucking boombproof, literally.

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/4/2014 1:45 PM

I'm interested in a comparison with a 910, 510, and 415.

3/4/2014 2:32 PM

From the chains i had laying around, im currently running one of each on my bikes, except the TSC Interlock and the 410. both are spares.

The 410 and 410H main difference is the thicker side plates and the use of a bushing system(on the 410H)

The Odyssey is basically a 410H but it doesn't use the Bushing system

The Bluebird is on my BMX

The KMC 710SL is on my DJ

While the KMC 410H is on my Fixed Gear
and

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | STLRS Facbook | STLRS Youtube Channel | Chuck8273 is king, bow to him | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

3/4/2014 3:07 PM

The Odyssey is a rebranded KMC 510HX, literally. @Broken

Nice thread

Life behind bars.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

For sale!!! LE Mint Gsport Ratchet and Vandero2 laced to black Alienation Runaway Stay Strongs $210 shipped. WILL PART-OUT.

3/4/2014 4:09 PM

I have a 420 chain on my bike right now ahaha

3/4/2014 4:29 PM

I don't know squat about chains. Just slam that shit and you're good.

"When I get a new bike I'm taking a shitload of pre-workout suppliments and going fucking crazy the first day and flip - whip off a roof !"

Check out my STOLEN whip here

3/4/2014 5:08 PM

I have a KMC Kool chain. It is my favorite for many reasons.!

1.) it has never broken on me
2.) it never rusts
3.) it handles getting hit very often (crankslides, oppo grinds no guard, etc)
4.) it isnt hard to break with a park chainbreaker.

Still wont stop me from trying out an Odyssey Keychain whenever that drops!!

3/4/2014 8:44 PM

I had a 1G8 and couldn't get it to work on my ratchet so I gave it to a mate. He finally got it set up on his bonedeth build it feels plenty strong it's just abit clunky when you pedal. But he's a shredder and it should out last him and the bike

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

3/4/2014 11:47 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: I don't know squat about chains. Just slam that shit and you're good.

If your chain is slammed, then it is much more likely to be overtightened, and therefore more stressed. Obviously there are advantages of having a slammed chain, but it not breaking as easy isn't one of them.

3/5/2014 1:09 AM

the most official halflinks i've ever seen.

╭∩╮(︶︵︶)╭∩╮

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

3/5/2014 1:32 AM

I'm pissed cause I ran an unlubed chain for a day or two and it kinda made these tiny indents in my driver. Grrrrrrr.........

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

3/5/2014 6:33 AM

MaximusBikes wrote: I have a KMC Kool chain. It is my favorite for many reasons.!

2.) it never rusts

Dude I wanted that chain and my friend got it but after a few weeks he literally just had a pile of broken links. The inner links are so thin, how have you now broken that?? Lol. I like the smooth design a lot but it's just super thin

Insta: @devicacy

3/15/2014 6:28 PM

Put the 415 on the wife's bike.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

3/15/2014 6:31 PM

MaximusBikes wrote: I have a KMC Kool chain. It is my favorite for many reasons.!

2.) it never rusts

realityisajoke wrote: Dude I wanted that chain and my friend got it but after a few weeks he literally just had a pile of broken links. The inner links are so thin, how have you now broken that?? Lol. I like the smooth design a lot but it's just super thin

The inner links arent thin, the chain itself isnt bad in any way shape or form. My all-time favorite so far!! Smooth too.

3/15/2014 6:34 PM

A friend of mine snapped a brand new mechanik half link today. Fuck halflinks.

3/16/2014 8:31 AM

biggybuggy wrote: A friend of mine snapped a brand new mechanik half link today. Fuck halflinks.

Halflinks are crap, thats why i stick to full links

THOU SHALL NOT COMMIT SKOOTERY
Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90, dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin
text me323.245.2827

3/16/2014 9:45 AM

biggybuggy wrote: A friend of mine snapped a brand new mechanik half link today. Fuck halflinks.

handlebar-to-face wrote: Halflinks are crap, thats why i stick to full links

Yes.

3/16/2014 1:31 PM

biggybuggy wrote: Yes.

the supreme chain looks good.

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/16/2014 2:12 PM

biggybuggy wrote: Yes.

T-rider wrote: the supreme chain looks good.

Someone's trying a bit hard for the 5k wheel set..

Bang Bang bmx

3/16/2014 2:36 PM

I have the KMC 710 half link and so far its been awesome, smooth and very strong

3/16/2014 4:36 PM

TELL ME ABOUT ANIMAL 710 HODER CHAIN !

"When I get a new bike I'm taking a shitload of pre-workout suppliments and going fucking crazy the first day and flip - whip off a roof !"

Check out my STOLEN whip here

3/16/2014 9:53 PM

I was at my lbs and was looking around and found this massive kink chain and original price was 55$ and I got it for 5$ it's heavy duty weighs about 2 pounds I'll post pics if you guys want.. I think it's as big or almost as big as the whipermann, but it fits my drive train.. Hardly tho

Bang Bang bmx

3/16/2014 9:54 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote: I was at my lbs and was looking around and found this massive kink chain and original price was 55$ and I got it for 5$ it's heavy duty weighs about 2 pounds I'll post pics if you guys want.. I think it's as big or almost as big as the whipermann, but it fits my drive train.. Hardly tho

Post. I want to see.

3/16/2014 9:57 PM

can 30/9 run the 1g8 or will i have to go 30/10

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"

3/16/2014 11:46 PM

mitchovich wrote: can 30/9 run the 1g8 or will i have to go 30/10

It depends on the driver teeth. I'm using it on 25/9 just fine. It wont fit a guard sprocket though.

3/16/2014 11:50 PM

biggybuggy wrote: Post. I want to see.

Nvm it's just a rebrand kmc 415 the same one that chuck posted.. I'll put it on when I snap my 410, the thing is I think it only touches the tip of my sprocket teeth

Bang Bang bmx

3/17/2014 5:11 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote: Nvm it's just a rebrand kmc 415 the same one that chuck posted.. I'll put it on when I snap my 410, the thing is I think it only touches the tip of my sprocket teeth

My wifes bike was the only one that chain would work on, due to that exact problem. The rollers only touched the driver tips.

Post a Reply to: Official Chain Thread!

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm