4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

The State Of BMX

2/22/2010 12:17 AM


Whether you are good at it or not, pro or just your average bmx rider, these tiny kids bikes have brought joy to generations of riders. These tiny bikes have given us countless memories, stories, smiles, friends, entertainment, and for a few of us priceless family fun that I would not trade for the world.

You can say BMX is about being the best, about having the best bike, about doing the best trick, about going bigger, but it is not. BMX is what you yourself as a individual make it. When it comes down to it, the only thing that can truely push, or drive you to get better is yourself. Sure you can draw inspiration from all kinds of subjects in life, but ultimately that drive comes from deep within.

BMX is not just a hobby, or a job, as I hear some pro's say! Who in there right mind picks a hobby knowing they can get hurt, crippled for life, or worse die!? A person who chooses to ride knowing what the outcome could be, is a person who truely loves what they do. Some say you have to be a little sick in the head, brave, fearless or have a death wish, to do some of the things we do. I guess it can be true to some but not to me, and many other riders out there. It's not something you can explain to people who don't understand, but rather somthing you just feel inside and out of your body when you ride. Every rider that is truely passionate about riding knows of what I speak, and is reason enough to ride!

There is alot of great riders out there, and even more kids that look up to them. Whether you are pro or not, you will always be older then someone else that rides. And being an older rider if there is any thing called a job or duty in bmx, it would be to set an example for the riders under you. Don't get me wrong there is some great role models out there in the world of BMX, but the way it is these days we don't hear about that because its not considered good interesting news. I feel I have a unique perspective about bmx, because I am both a rider and a father. So what I have seen from what our kids have to look up to as far as pro's go, I am ashamed. That is not the bmx I know and love, and is not what I am or ever will teach my boys what bmx is about. Whether you want it or not everyone needs to remember that they are a role model to someone. It's up to you how you want younger riders to see you for who you are.

BMX will always be a great sport to me, even with all the drama crap. But if people would keep the drama where it belongs, it could be even greater then what it is. It's sad to get on a bmx site, and see that the next big thing is drama, and not some new big trick that is out, or some new parts. BMX has come a long ways from the days of banana seats and ape hangers, but sadly still has a long way to go as far as the way we treat and try to hurt each other. Anyone would be naive to think bmx could be perfect, but there is so much we all could to to make it better, and keep the sport going in a good direction, and not being pushed towards an airing of a Jerry Springer show.

In the end it all comes back to you as a individule. You ultimately choose how you want to perceive bmx. Wether you want to drag it down, or help build up this great sport. You can choose to just dwell on the negatives aspects of bmx, or get out there and fix them. It is not the bike companies or the pros that run bmx! It is you the average Joe that decides where to take bmx. So if you buy into all the crap they try to feed you that is where you will lead bmx. If you stand up and try to make an honest mark you will lead BMX and youger riders into the right direction. You might even feel proud of yourselfs!

What else is left to say, but get out there and ride your bike. While your riding try to remember why you started riding in the first place. Some day we will all be to old to ride. When you look back on your career, how do you want to remember your days in BMX!? BMX is what you put into, and as a rider you, even if you don't know it, you help shape other riders!




Feel free to add to this, and by all meens leave comments. Good, or bad! I respect all thoughts and feelings, even if I don't agree with you.




2/22/2010 12:18 AM

BMX is an art.

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

2/22/2010 12:21 AM

cupovjoe wrote: BMX is an art.

That it is.

2/22/2010 12:41 AM

You also missed out Countless injures lol.


You have hit the nail right on the head there mate.

BMX 4 LIFE,20 inches of pure freedom

2/22/2010 12:46 AM

BMX LIFE wrote: You also missed out Countless injures lol.


You have hit the nail right on the head there mate.

exactly what i was thinking. just different words.

2/22/2010 12:50 AM

I agree with everything you just said, BMX is what we make it.
I just want to add when I was reading through some of the stuff about the new younger riders I thought about how many kids care all about who has the best bike or the most expensive bike, who is better and who can do more tricks ect. It really does make me cringe.
They should be caring about riding, and who they ride with. If kids are riding with people who put them down and say things like "your shit, just quit." or "pfft, nice bike you welfare kid" they're going down the track of turning out like that too, or they might actually quit riding.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Pick the right brand, and it turns out good.

2/22/2010 12:54 AM

GlenmoreFit wrote: I agree with everything you just said, BMX is what we make it.
I just want to add when I was reading through some of the stuff about the new younger riders I thought about how many kids care all about who has the best bike or the most expensive bike, who is better and who can do more tricks ect. It really does make me cringe.
They should be caring about riding, and who they ride with. If kids are riding with people who put them down and say things like "your shit, just quit." or "pfft, nice bike you welfare kid" they're going down the track of turning out like that too, or they might actually quit riding.

Thats true. My mate calls me shit all the time. It just makes me push that little bit more. But yes, i think it would be different for younger kids.

BMX 4 LIFE,20 inches of pure freedom

2/22/2010 1:01 AM

Very well said.

Respect

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

2/22/2010 2:29 AM

Nothing But Respect for You over 30.
I have a funny story on the subject of visual material wealth as far as BMX goes. I was at a skatepark, just chillin having fun and riding, and then some kid about 15 years old? (mind you i'm 19 and am 6'3) sees my bike and says "nice Target Bike" I take a glance at his and he has what appears to be a Custom Fit. Of course i just shrug it off and don't let it get to me, but still; the subject at hand is that some kids nowadays are partially being taught that in order to have "fun" in BMX and to look "cool" you have to have a custom bike even though it cost a lot to make one. Chances are his parents bought him what he wanted while I have to save up for parts, let alone buying a complete bike to start off.
Younger riders need to realize that; like you said, You ride to have fun. Not to say "oh you suck you've been riding for blah blah blah months and can't do a tailwhip?" One of my favorite things to do on my bike is cruise and jump over things.
just my 2ยข

My Tierra v.3!
Facebook
TSC and Fly <3
RTC>CSB

2/22/2010 4:16 AM

I see alot of kids in my area like that. Be it on MTB, Road, BMX, Skateboards, Snowboards...it doesn't matter. I live in an area where there is alot of money around if you will. The cost of living is relatively high (I believe top 5 in the US). I see it on my daughters soccer teams as well. But the only way to combat it is to go and kick the shit out the kids parents! Just kidding! Though the thought has crossed my mind. Especially, when I know their parents are as old as I am!

It is sad that the kids are being raised that way. I am not saying all kids mind you but the ones that are flat out spoiled mind you. These are the same kids whose parents are constantly saying, "Johny, don't do that. Johny, I told you not to do that. Johny, I'm going to tell your father when he gets home..." I don't know if these parents got beat when they were kids but the bottom line is this. "Parents, Beat your kids!" Seriously, I used to spank my girls when they were younger. Now I can simply shoot a look at them and they know what is going on.

I know that when I go out this summer to some of the parks that I too will face this. I will have liitle kids showing me up all over the place. But you know what, I'm as old as their parents and still out there while there mom is sitting in the car talking on the phone and dad is sitting somewhere where with his fat ass watching football! It's the parents faults in all of this!

Parents are so wrapped up in trying to be their kids friends instead of their mentors and guidence providers. They think that they can simply buy them their happiness and all will turn out well in the end. The kids don't have love for the sport. They have love for what ever the next best thing is that mommy will buy them. Just sad!

Proverbs 3:5-6

2/22/2010 4:48 AM

Drnwagn wrote: I see alot of kids in my area like that. Be it on MTB, Road, BMX, Skateboards, Snowboards...it doesn't matter. I live in an area where there is alot of money around if you will. The cost of living is relatively high (I believe top 5 in the US). I see it on my daughters soccer teams as well. But the only way to combat it is to go and kick the shit out the kids parents! Just kidding! Though the thought has crossed my mind. Especially, when I know their parents are as old as I am!

It is sad that the kids are being raised that way. I am not saying all kids mind you but the ones that are flat out spoiled mind you. These are the same kids whose parents are constantly saying, "Johny, don't do that. Johny, I told you not to do that. Johny, I'm going to tell your father when he gets home..." I don't know if these parents got beat when they were kids but the bottom line is this. "Parents, Beat your kids!" Seriously, I used to spank my girls when they were younger. Now I can simply shoot a look at them and they know what is going on.

I know that when I go out this summer to some of the parks that I too will face this. I will have liitle kids showing me up all over the place. But you know what, I'm as old as their parents and still out there while there mom is sitting in the car talking on the phone and dad is sitting somewhere where with his fat ass watching football! It's the parents faults in all of this!

Parents are so wrapped up in trying to be their kids friends instead of their mentors and guidence providers. They think that they can simply buy them their happiness and all will turn out well in the end. The kids don't have love for the sport. They have love for what ever the next best thing is that mommy will buy them. Just sad!

parenting in general pretty much fell off in the late 90s

most parents expect the school and the judicial system to do it for them these days. thats why so many kids are so lost in life. it fucking kills me, theres a kid at my local park who gets taken to greenville every weekend and gets to ride but bitches all the time about having to ride at our local park because he hates it, BUT he rides pretty much every day. i like him a lot and hes a really good rider, but i cant stand when he bitches about the park. 90% of kids who ride bmx dont get to ride a park 90% of the time.

overall kids are spoiled and undisciplined for the most part.

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

2/22/2010 4:58 AM

^^Agreed!

It is sad that they have gotten that way. So many parents are focused on themselves now days and their kids are just someone they try to hang out with. They seem to have little interest of what the kids are actually going through or trying to help navigate them through it.

I spend alot of my time with my kids and right now I can tell you that they think I am one of the coolest people they know. Their friends think the same. I mean, here is a guy that does all these extreme sports if you will but still takes the time to help them with their homework. I make them do chores and they don't really even get an allowance. But what they do get is what they want if they really work for it and demonstrate a good attitude. Often my wife and I will tell them that they have to pay half. This just happened last week when my daughter wanted to order a cheap guitar to learn how to play on. I told her I would pay half and cover the shipping charges. She gave me her half of the money and I ordered it. I then took her half of the money and put it into her bank account! Is that spoiled no! She thinks she had to earn it and she worked hard to get it! She is all the happier with it and has taken really good care of it so far! No complaints what so ever and this is a $30 guitar! A total pos! But it is hers! Funny how that works~!

Proverbs 3:5-6

2/22/2010 5:01 AM

Drnwagn wrote: ^^Agreed!

It is sad that they have gotten that way. So many parents are focused on themselves now days and their kids are just someone they try to hang out with. They seem to have little interest of what the kids are actually going through or trying to help navigate them through it.

I spend alot of my time with my kids and right now I can tell you that they think I am one of the coolest people they know. Their friends think the same. I mean, here is a guy that does all these extreme sports if you will but still takes the time to help them with their homework. I make them do chores and they don't really even get an allowance. But what they do get is what they want if they really work for it and demonstrate a good attitude. Often my wife and I will tell them that they have to pay half. This just happened last week when my daughter wanted to order a cheap guitar to learn how to play on. I told her I would pay half and cover the shipping charges. She gave me her half of the money and I ordered it. I then took her half of the money and put it into her bank account! Is that spoiled no! She thinks she had to earn it and she worked hard to get it! She is all the happier with it and has taken really good care of it so far! No complaints what so ever and this is a $30 guitar! A total pos! But it is hers! Funny how that works~!

you're the type of father i aspire to be one day.

cool enough to spend time with, but respected enough to do what theyre supposed to without me having to interfere. well played good sir, well played.

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

2/22/2010 5:29 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, they screw up and often "forget" to do stuff. But I pretty much lose my mind. I sort of turn into Terry Tate, "Office Linebacker" on them. It's a mind game man! I'm like Terry in the recycling part! Too funny!

Proverbs 3:5-6

2/22/2010 9:40 AM

GlenmoreFit wrote: I agree with everything you just said, BMX is what we make it.
I just want to add when I was reading through some of the stuff about the new younger riders I thought about how many kids care all about who has the best bike or the most expensive bike, who is better and who can do more tricks ect. It really does make me cringe.
They should be caring about riding, and who they ride with. If kids are riding with people who put them down and say things like "your shit, just quit." or "pfft, nice bike you welfare kid" they're going down the track of turning out like that too, or they might actually quit riding.

this, and more of it

2/22/2010 11:07 AM

With all the drama crap in the world of bmx the last few days, I thought that alot of people have lost touch with what bmx really is. I would like to see this thread blow up with all sorts of ideas, and opionions. Doing good so far, although I thought there would be some more opionions in here. Let's keep it going guys, and girls. Let people know there is still respect and that people still care about bmx!

2/22/2010 12:08 PM

While I think the internet has allowed us to reach out all around the planet I think it has also brought about more problems. The recent drama going on with some of the pros as mentioned just seems to get blown out of proportion. Honestly, it is none of our business. I mean, we weren't there and 99% of us weren't involved. Really it just seems like the stupid drama we see on tv!

I think the internet has allowed for all the e-thugs to come out. I know there are some kids out there that probably do act the same way they do on the boards but then again, I think there are alot more that don't.

I know I still ride because I can. I know I have been struggling to build up a nice bike because I finally have more money in my pockets to do it. For me it is the oportunity to finally get what I couldn't afford when I was a kid. I ride because I love it. I build my bike the way I do because it is what I like. Sure, I took a look at what the trends are right now but ultimately, I made the decision! To me it is about inviduality. Maybe I can't whip or do flare but I am still out there having fun and that is what it is all about.

Proverbs 3:5-6

2/22/2010 12:13 PM

ridebmxnc wrote: parenting in general pretty much fell off in the late 90s

most parents expect the school and the judicial system to do it for them these days. thats why so many kids are so lost in life. it fucking kills me, theres a kid at my local park who gets taken to greenville every weekend and gets to ride but bitches all the time about having to ride at our local park because he hates it, BUT he rides pretty much every day. i like him a lot and hes a really good rider, but i cant stand when he bitches about the park. 90% of kids who ride bmx dont get to ride a park 90% of the time.

overall kids are spoiled and undisciplined for the most part.

hahahahahahahahah BRAD!!!!

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

2/22/2010 12:29 PM

Very very very very very well said.

-Let me tell you something about you that you don't know...
-I don't like Fit.
-BLRBMX thought I was 23. Silly kid.
-Facebook

2/22/2010 12:59 PM

Just so you know your in one of my newer blog posts for this.

centraloregonbmxupdate.blogspot.com

.Trinity Bikes Freestyle team.
.Ride for fun, its what matters.
4 years in this shit SWAGGGGG$$$$$$##

"I'd punch a little kid dead in the face if he came at me with a knife, I don't care how old you are, don't fuck with me. "

2/22/2010 1:27 PM

funtington wrote: Just so you know your in one of my newer blog posts for this.

centraloregonbmxupdate.blogspot.com

Thanks for the mention, and great blogspot. Nice work and keep it up.

2/22/2010 1:45 PM

amen to that

2/22/2010 1:57 PM

BMX is my life im not the best or have the the best bke, but its something that as soon as i come home frim school i go out and ride and try to get better, and some kids say im shit, and other say im the shit, but i just love to ride

2/22/2010 2:03 PM

I love this thread<33 BMX is my life, I often go ride my bike when i need to vent and when Im upset and just feel better after a good day of riding with friends.

Action Wheels Bike Shop. I'll learn bars and whips when I feel like it.
Follow me on instagram: scotteffting




2/22/2010 3:05 PM

i understand what you mean and stuff. this is good shit, im gonna show this to a shit load of my friends : )

when im on my bike, none of life's bullshit phazes me. my mind is free
sub to me on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/devonisadirtygirl?feature=mhum ;
follow me on twitter and ill follow back! @thedevonrussell

2/22/2010 3:14 PM

that was nice and very meaning ful i just dont feel like reading it all but the part i did was very nice

I ride street.

get amaon gift cards or money sent to your paypal for free! http://www.rebelbucks.com/?ref=yaya2893-0

2/22/2010 7:13 PM

Good stuff guys, but this can't be everyone that wants to speak their mind about BMX.

2/22/2010 7:14 PM

Over 30 and still riding wrote: Good stuff guys, but this can't be everyone that wants to speak their mind about BMX.

i would, but itll take to long to type, and im too lazy


I LOVE FLY BIKES
I'm what Willis was talking 'bout
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

2/22/2010 7:17 PM

Over 30 and still riding wrote: Good stuff guys, but this can't be everyone that wants to speak their mind about BMX.

alexnjbmx wrote: i would, but itll take to long to type, and im too lazy

At least your honest.

2/22/2010 7:20 PM

Over 30 and still riding wrote: Good stuff guys, but this can't be everyone that wants to speak their mind about BMX.

alexnjbmx wrote: i would, but itll take to long to type, and im too lazy

Over 30 and still riding wrote: At least your honest.

yup. i have strong opinions, im just too lazy and i dont feel like starting any more shit on here


I LOVE FLY BIKES
I'm what Willis was talking 'bout
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

Post a Reply to: The State Of BMX

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm