4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Rant V2 Cassette vs. Elcat Tech Cassette vs. Profile Mini S.S. Cassette

11/11/2008 8:48 AM

Shadow

vs.

Eclat

vs.

GO!!!

Huck It or Fuck It..... And to all a good night.

11/11/2008 8:49 AM

are u honestly serious? profile ftw

11/11/2008 8:55 AM

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Lets do the scores like a baseball game!

Profile 1

Shadow 0

Elcat 0

11/11/2008 9:00 AM

i have a shadow n i love it but if ur gonan spend the money profile is better

LIVE HARD, RIDE HARD, DIE HARD

no brakes 4 pegs... streets all day

11/11/2008 9:02 AM

well the profile is only 30 bucks more. So its realy not that bad. So I am gonna give one of your votes to shadow and one to profile.

Profile 2

Shadow 1

Eclat 0

11/11/2008 9:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2008 9:37 AM

i have profile mini s.s whit ti drive and i love it

2 votes to profileSmile

11/11/2008 10:01 AM

i like.... stuff

11/11/2008 10:28 AM

i'am getting the eclat teck cassette the profiles are probably super strong but they aren't light
And the eclat has bushings so you can't screw up the driver, cheaper, lighter and female axle looks so cool!

jb07, Zachary_, Showtime402, bobPa, dee hos, joe-rod56, "idk i'm a loser", Gsport23, JoeGreen, Trenty Doo, fly for life,laloest

11/11/2008 3:13 PM

bump !!!

11/11/2008 3:49 PM

gsport ratchet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

live fast - ride hard

11/11/2008 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2008 6:45 PM

milou wrote: i'am getting the eclat teck cassette the profiles are probably super strong but they aren't light
And the eclat has bushings so you can't screw up the driver, cheaper, lighter and female axle looks so cool!

Profile has BEARINGS in the driver. I would go with bearings over bushings.

I also dislike the 3 pawl driver, and the Eclat has only two bearings to take all that abuse, granted you are 12, so I can't imagine you are much more than 120 lbs, so it won't be a lot, but when learning you are more stressful to your parts.

And yes, Profiles are super strong.

http://www.danscomp.com/426067.php?cat=PARTS <---Profile

http://www.danscomp.com/...426148.php?cat=PARTS <----Eclat

If weight is the only thing you are after, Eclat wins, but overall, I would take the Profile ANY DAY over the Eclat.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

11/11/2008 7:12 PM

milou wrote: i'am getting the eclat teck cassette the profiles are probably super strong but they aren't light

dave lawrence wrote: Profile has BEARINGS in the driver. I would go with bearings over bushings.

I also dislike the 3 pawl driver, and the Eclat has only two bearings to take all that abuse, granted you are 12, so I can't imagine you are much more than 120 lbs, so it won't be a lot, but when learning you are more stressful to your parts.

And yes, Profiles are super strong.

http://www.danscomp.com/426067.php?cat=PARTS <---Profile

http://www.danscomp.com/...426148.php?cat=PARTS <----Eclat

If weight is the only thing you are after, Eclat wins, but overall, I would take the Profile ANY DAY over the Eclat.

maybe i'm not 12 dude, i'am 17 so i dont even know why you would say this....
I am just saying that i'd rather have a bushing then a bearing and that i like eclat then profile. I like their mentality of making parts that can take the beating but I hate the fact that they never make their parts better all their things seem super old. Like make a crank V2 or the hubs like plain solid axle? and ugly ass washers? that kills the good design I think
but the profile hub will probably outlast any competition I have to agree (or maybe not the rachet)

jb07, Zachary_, Showtime402, bobPa, dee hos, joe-rod56, "idk i'm a loser", Gsport23, JoeGreen, Trenty Doo, fly for life,laloest

11/11/2008 7:42 PM

milou wrote: maybe i'm not 12 dude, i'am 17 so i dont even know why you would say this....
I am just saying that i'd rather have a bushing then a bearing and that i like eclat then profile. I like their mentality of making parts that can take the beating but I hate the fact that they never make their parts better all their things seem super old. Like make a crank V2 or the hubs like plain solid axle? and ugly ass washers? that kills the good design I think
but the profile hub will probably outlast any competition I have to agree (or maybe not the rachet)

ratchet is the best by far!!! bearings are rated to 2ton. can switch lhd to rhd, oversized axle with lifetime warranty, oversized bearings so they take more abuse.. i seriously think these will outdo profile once they hit the market! i pre ordered one today to match the m7 odyssey wheel i bought today!! definitely best wheelset out!!!!

live fast - ride hard

11/11/2008 7:59 PM

the rachet is a beast lol
i actually think u can shoot it with a gun and it will be fine
I like the eclat teck too

11/12/2008 3:10 AM

milou wrote: maybe i'm not 12 dude, i'am 17 so i dont even know why you would say this....

I was referring to subrosarider12 for the 12 years old thing.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

11/12/2008 7:30 AM

i hated the profile mini ss when i rode it because within the first month the bearings blew out in the shell and my driver was missing a tooth, so i sent it back to have them fix it and i got a new driver but that gave out just as fast and the bearings were still blowen out even though they said they replaced them so i dont like them, Shadows in my mind are the best here but thats just my opinion cause the eclat just came out and i am alittle sketched out about it

11/12/2008 2:43 PM

Profile... tried and true, the best bmx hub in the market
a bit pricey but worth every penny
the Eclat looks nice but i don't like bushings... some guy i know had a hub with bushings in the driver and it lasted less than my driver bearings under kinda the same or less abuse
the shadow is nice too but i'm gonna say Profile FTW!

11/12/2008 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2008 5:33 PM

Assuming these are all 14mm axles hubs being reviewed

Despite profile's large felt respect by most riders, I am no longer a fan of their parts. Compared to parts of the past they were a superior product, but now quality stuff is being produced by other companies that have surpassed the profile standard, and with a cheaper price tag to boot. I respect the efforts they've made in the past but they are not the company they used to be. Despite my personal view, the Profile name commands much respect in this industry. On to the hub...

PROFILE SS MINI CASSETTE HUB 1-PC

Weight: This hub is advertised as "Lightweight high/low flange shell with 6 sealed bearings." 6 sealed bearings are nice but add to the weight. Weighing in at (19.9 oz) without upgrades, it is the heaviest option of the three hubs in question. 4 pawl driver seems quality and if anything should go wrong, parts are available individually to rebuild the hub, so you don't have to go buy a whole new one to replace it. The axle is standard solid 14mm chromoly, which is good but the same technology were using back in 1999. Would like to have seen heat treated process or higher grade chromoly specified. Axles can be upgraded to hollow or titanium, for weight savings, but at additional cost. Driver can upgrade to titanium as well for additional cost. Axle nuts: The axle nuts on these are kinda cheese, (sorry call it how i see it) but they can easily be replaced. Profile makes a hub guard specifically for their hub.

GOOD

Made in USA.

Rider respected company that has been around the longest of the three.

6 sealed bearings for smooth ride.

4 pawl engagement instead of typical 3 pawl

Uses a one piece standard solid 14mm chromoly axle, but can be upgraded to hollow or titanium (for additional cost)

Available in many colors.

Available in many tooth sizes 8, 9, 10, 11 and titanium driver

Titanium axle and driver upgrade options.

Tried and tested.

BAD

Heaviest of all the hubs.

Stock axle is not heat treated or higher grade chromoly.

Axle nuts are cheaply made but are standard size so can be easily replaced.

Not available in 48h (ss mini only comes in 36h).

High price tag.

With upgrades hub costs even more.

Offset flanges require different length spokes, and taller flange open to grind abuse.

The Shadow Conspiracy

Shadow the mid-comer on the bmx scene has gained respect of riders fast by making high quality parts that are tailored to modern bmx. On to the hub...

SHADOW CONSPIRACY RANT V2 CASSETTE HUB

This hub uses sealed bearings and is the middle weight of the three, weighing in at (17.4 oz). The hub uses a innovative 6 pawl system with 12 points of contact. They do this by changing the location of the pawls from the driver, into the hub shell. The weight cost penalty of having a hub with more pawls is none, because this hub weighs less than the Profile hub with only 4 pawls. The axle is 1 piece 14mm hollow 4140 heat treated chromolly. Higher 4140 grade chromolly and heat treatment process make this the strongest axle of the three hubs. Available in 48h is a nice option for riders that prefer 48s.

GOOD

Quality made good from a known company.

6 pawl engagement system with 12 points of contact.

Modern one piece axle provides strength and weight savings.

Available in 48h.

Available in many colors.

Available in three tooth sizes 9, 10, 11

Tried and tested.

BAD

Not available in 8 tooth

Shadow does not manufacture a rear hub guard but a profile hub guard will fit.

Offset flanges require different length spokes, and taller flange open to grind abuse.

Éclat

Éclat the new-comer on the bmx scene has some promising designs and innovations suited to modern bmx. Though not as established as the other brands, they look to be making a name for themselves fast. On to the hub...

ECLAT TECK CASSETTE HUB

Weight winner at (14.9 oz). The hub shell features symmetrical sized flanges unlike the profile and shadow hub. This is good because you can use the same size spokes on each side, also if you grind on both sides you don’t have to worry about beating up the taller side flange (because there is none). In addition the hub shell flanges seem to be reinforced in between each spoke hole, on the outer edge. This not only beefs up the flanges but protects your spokes if you grind without a hub guard. Speaking of hub guards, Éclat makes one to fit their hub. The hub uses a standard 3 pawl driver, which is fine but not as nice as the Profile or Shadow ones. The driver uses a bushing, which is not the norm and I feel is a bit questionable. Lastly and most importantly is the three piece axle design. I feel there is a border between innovation and gimmick. Unfortunately the axle design falls into the later category. The 1 piece axle design is tried and tested. It is superior to the three piece design in terms of strength (despite what odyssey/gsport may want you to believe). Only one driver size 9t come stock, upgraded to 10 available (aftermarket). No 48h option either.

GOOD

Lightest of the bunch

Hub shell has two small identical flanges

Flanges are reinforced to protect themselves and your spokes

Manufactures own hub guard.

BAD

Three piece axle design is flawed

Limited driver sizes 9t stock only

3 pawl driver is lackluster

Bushing in driver is questionable

Not available in 48h.

New hub is not proven.

For me personally I would have to go with the Shadow hub. If you value different things more importantly, you can create your own scorecard throwing out some criteria, say 48h option, if it is not important to you. Then perhaps the Profile hub would be better if you plan on not running 48s. Or if weight is an issue for you then the Éclat might be your ticket. It's all subjective to the consumer's needs. Make your own choice. For me I like the Shadow rant v2.

11/12/2008 5:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2008 5:46 PM

Holy batman that was the best writeup I've ever seen on these forums...I like to consider myself a thorough and complete responder on these forums, and I try to give helpful advice when I know what I'm talking about (in this case, I've never used any of these hubs, so I can't really rightly vouch for any one...), but your response was just above and beyond anything....are you bored?....Just kidding...we need more people like you here.

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

11/12/2008 7:25 PM

frizla12 wrote: ratchet is the best by far!!! bearings are rated to 2ton. can switch lhd to rhd, oversized axle with lifetime warranty, oversized bearings so they take more abuse.. i seriously think these will outdo profile once they hit the market! i pre ordered one today to match the m7 odyssey wheel i bought today!! definitely best wheelset out!!!!

yo whered you preorder it from

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

11/12/2008 7:28 PM

frizla12 wrote: ratchet is the best by far!!! bearings are rated to 2ton. can switch lhd to rhd, oversized axle with lifetime warranty, oversized bearings so they take more abuse.. i seriously think these will outdo profile once they hit the market! i pre ordered one today to match the m7 odyssey wheel i bought today!! definitely best wheelset out!!!!

yo whered you preorder it from

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

5/11/2009 1:09 AM

sorry to go against the grain here but ive had the profile ss (with the solid 14 mill axle even) which i rode for a little under a year, by which time i had blown up the driver, and bent the axle. it was far from the best hub ive yet to own, ive had the best luck with the primo mix in an 8 tooth. driver never blew up, thanks to the bushing system used in the 8 tooth driver that so many of you seem to be scared of for some reason. bushings are preferable, for some at least, because you have less of a chance of blowing up your driver since it is a solid piece of material rather than something as mechanical as a bearing, bearings have alot more that can go wrong. the only thing that i could think of just as or more strong than a bushing in your driver would be gsports use of a needle bearing as opposed to ball bearings, which are in the shadow and profile cassettes. as far as the three pawl design of the eclat driver being "lackluster" there is no reason to have more than three pawls in a hub. there are never more than three of profiles or shadows pawls engaging anyway. at least shadows alternates between the one set of three and then the other, essentially placing the load on the driver the same way the eclat would, its just these three or those three instead of the same set all the time, the profile on the other hand puts the load on the driver unequally, since it isnt placed at even intervals all the way around the hub, this is in short version due to the spacing of pawls as opposed to that of the teeth they push against in the hub, maybe email one of these companies if you need a better explanation of that. with all of that said, as well as making sure to have taken all of your valid opinions into consideration, im going to place my order for a complete eclat wheelset as soon as im done writing this, because after 2 years of beating on it, my primo mix i mentioned earlier is showing a little wear to put it nicely. ill be sure to post again and share my feelings on the eclat cassette.

5/11/2009 6:48 AM

Eclat is the lightest. im going to get one laced to the same rim i have now. im going from a 23.7 oz freecoaster to a 14.9 oz casset its going to feel so light but it dont matta ima get some pegs and shitt including a hub guard and if i get the kink park lights and the federal hub guard i still will have saved around 4 oz ha ha

5/11/2009 7:05 AM

i just threw together a profile ss mini LHD to a hula hoop. i loooveee it.

stay flow.

5/11/2009 8:16 AM

im pretty sure has alreay made up his mind.. look at the date this was started... people read the dates before you write back

My refs ?... Nigga just ask about me

5/11/2009 10:50 AM

2funny4u wrote: im pretty sure has alreay made up his mind.. look at the date this was started... people read the dates before you write back

yea your right..but ill go with eclat or shadow....

i hate profiles i had 2 and both the axle run when i tighted them down

shred or die

5/11/2009 1:08 PM

2funny4u wrote: im pretty sure has alreay made up his mind.. look at the date this was started... people read the dates before you write back

lmao !!!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

5/11/2009 1:11 PM

The shadow hub is awsome i have had the thing for 2 frekin years and i have not have had any problem with it just buy it

Ride for Fun Ride to get Away Ride to Ride Ride for Love Ride to Live Live to Ride

Toronto replay official: "What's that? Oh, a Flyer shot it? Just wait three minutes and call no goal due to inconclusive evidence."

5/11/2009 1:12 PM

JulioDanGulio wrote: yea your right..but ill go with eclat or shadow....

i hate profiles i had 2 and both the axle run when i tighted them down

that iz cuz yew iz retawded ok?

A 20 year old little kids bicycle rider.

Follow my adventures on Instagram @resslerbmx

5/11/2009 1:15 PM

whats with all these zombies lately

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

Post a Reply to: Rant V2 Cassette vs. Elcat Tech Cassette vs. Profile Mini S.S. Cassette

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm