4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Top tube length

4/10/2007 3:11 PM

I am 5'8" and I have a 20.25 top tube. I am thinking that my bike is too small. Is it in my head or is it legit?

4/10/2007 3:25 PM

As long as your comfortable on it then its the right size for you.

4/10/2007 3:39 PM

rob rides bikes wrote: As long as your comfortable on it then its the right size for you.

Is there a general rule of thumb as far as hight goes or is it just whatever feels right. I feel big on my bike and I have heard that it is easier to manual and 360 with a bigger bike.

4/10/2007 4:49 PM

rob rides bikes wrote: As long as your comfortable on it then its the right size for you.

dub2424 wrote: Is there a general rule of thumb as far as hight goes or is it just whatever feels right. I feel big on my bike and I have heard that it is easier to manual and 360 with a bigger bike.

dub2424 wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb as far as hight goes or is it just whatever feels right. I feel big on my bike and I have heard that it is easier to manual and 360 with a bigger bike.

I think its more whatever feels right, but, generally I think if your at least 5 foot 9 you might consider a 21 top-tube, where as if your height is below say mabie 5 foot 5 you might consider a 20 top-tube. Those are rough estimates however and dont really reflect riding style or personal preferance. As long as your comfortable on your bike thats what matters, I'm 6 foor 1 and ride a 21 top-tube and it feels perfect, but usually anything smaller I feel cramped on a little...anyway, I'm just ranting, I'm sure you get the point.

SBCdestroy

village idiot

4/10/2007 4:51 PM

dub2424 wrote: Is there a general rule of thumb as far as hight goes or is it just whatever feels right. I feel big on my bike and I have heard that it is easier to manual and 360 with a bigger bike.

well i just go with what i like , i like shorter ones like 20 and 20.5 and im like 5'10 , a short frame is easy to spin cuz it dose not have has far to go i something like that , thats what i think but i may just be a dumb ass

Post edited by: zero hero, at: 4/10/2007 11:53 PM

4/10/2007 7:37 PM

zero hero wrote: well i just go with what i like , i like shorter ones like 20 and 20.5 and im like 5'10 , a short frame is easy to spin cuz it dose not have has far to go i something like that , thats what i think but i may just be a dumb ass

Post edited by: zero hero, at: 4/10/2007 11:53 PM

i used to ride a 20 in and it was fine for me and im 5"9 now i ride a 20.9 and it works good. i really dont care on the frame size as long as it works for me im good. whatever works good for you, if your comfotable in it ride well on that size do what feels right

Post edited by: joe rides bicycles, at: 4/11/2007 2:38 AM

4/10/2007 10:45 PM

A longer frame won't let you manual "easier". Chainstay length and how far you can throw your center of gravity back is what would make a manual easier. (Think shorter vs. longer wheelbases.)

For instance...

I'm 6 foot. I ride a 20.5TT frame. If (with minimal effort) I throw my ass over my rear tire, the front wheel starts to rise almost instantly. If I push my pedals away from me at the same time, my bike rises to near vertical almost instantly.

What I've learned from trials riding is: Short, wide bars, short chainstays and short stems mixed with a toss of the ass will in effect have the bike manualing you.

The irony is, all this experimentation has already been done in BMX racing (what most freestylers these days abhor). Back in the day racers would do one simple thing to lighten or weighten their front end (for traction): They would move their bars forward or back. Some tall racers back in the day would buy shorter frames for the sheer fact that they could adjust their center of gravity on the fly. Just by moving their asses.

If you think about it, why make all these options like crank-length, TT length, stem reach, etc., if noone knows why? There's really no need to factor height into the equation unless you are only after comfort. (And those bikes are called cruisers.)

Gary
MirraCo Fivestar Park
Trails/Street/Park
Ride Customizer For Hire

Post a Reply to: Top tube length

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm