4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Tubes popping at 70 psi

8/20/2014 9:04 AM

Just picked up a new Animal GLH tire which has a 110 psi rating and every time i start blowing it up, at around 68-70 psi the inner tube blows out. I've tried 3 tubes already and all of them blew out. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Go truck yourself!

BMX Gallery 4130, Transition Bmx, Dan's Comp

8/20/2014 9:09 AM

what tubes are you using?

I'm on the vital legit list!

Don't Sweat The Streets

8/20/2014 9:16 AM

ones from my lbs, not sure

Go truck yourself!

8/20/2014 9:17 AM

Taht's weird that they keep popping at 70psi. Try using a tube from somewhere else and see if the problem persists

I'm on the vital legit list!

Don't Sweat The Streets

8/20/2014 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2014 9:19 AM

Your PSI gauge might be fucked, giving a lower reading?

THOU SHALL NOT COMMIT SKOOTERY
Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90, dirtstars22
text me323.245.2827

8/20/2014 9:18 AM

either the tubes arent designed for that high psi, you arent seating them correctly, or they are just shit

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90
"no one cares you goon i'm practically a girl"-Sickdude/Krooked
shitlist: timedrifter, rxking, crazyclark, _reyesbmx_, thuglifebmxriderz
http://deviantbmxer.blogspot.com/ http://deviantbmxer.blogspot.com/p/forum.html

8/20/2014 9:36 AM

handlebar-to-face wrote: Your PSI gauge might be fucked, giving a lower reading?

could be that. not too sure though.

Go truck yourself!

8/20/2014 9:37 AM

tomdon wrote: Taht's weird that they keep popping at 70psi. Try using a tube from somewhere else and see if the problem persists

tried a shitty bell tube too and it popped

Go truck yourself!

8/20/2014 9:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2014 9:49 AM

Pump till solid and if it hasnt popped let it sit and the tire adjust to pressure being on it? I bought a brand new tire one time and went straight to 110 psi and blew out some of the bead and ruptured the tire on the middle of the tread after about a month. Im superstitious about some stuff though.

Alot of you know me by a different name....

8/20/2014 9:55 AM

Rim pinch

2013 Fit Inman 2

8/20/2014 9:58 AM

Kokxxy wrote: Pump till solid and if it hasnt popped let it sit and the tire adjust to pressure being on it? I bought a brand new tire one time and went straight to 110 psi and blew out some of the bead and ruptured the tire on the middle of the tread after about a month. Im superstitious about some stuff though.

Okay thanks I'll try it out.

Go truck yourself!

8/20/2014 10:00 AM

iFit wrote: Rim pinch

probably this

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90

8/20/2014 10:02 AM

This too. Make sure that you don't twist the tube, Pinch it in anyway, the tire doesn't have a cord/thread showing from a defect or something &also be certain that there isn't anything sharp around the valve stem hole on the rim or on the rim in general.

8/20/2014 10:08 AM

Kokxxy wrote: This too. Make sure that you don't twist the tube, Pinch it in anyway, the tire doesn't have a cord/thread showing from a defect or something &also be certain that there isn't anything sharp around the valve stem hole on the rim or on the rim in general.

might be a good idea to use an air compressor to blow out any debris still clinging onto the inside of the tire and rim

8/20/2014 4:32 PM

Or you may need a rim strip because your spokes and or nipples maybe puncturing your tube.

2013 Fit Inman 2

8/20/2014 4:36 PM

why would you need more than 60 psi anyway?

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!

8/20/2014 4:41 PM

It sounds like the tire is not seated properly in the rim. Did you buy the tires from us? If so, next time just give us a call if you need help!

The most important part is to make sure the bead is fully seated in the rim. To do this, inflate your tire to around 10 PSI and then rock it back and forth on the rim to make sure it is seated properly. Inflate a little bit more and then repeat. If the bead has slipped out when you were inflating the tire, check it for damage. If it is torn you may need a new tire.

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/20/2014 6:24 PM

Make sure the bead of the tire is correctly positioned. I've blown out a few tubes because I beaded a tire wrong.

Bike Check
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

8/20/2014 6:34 PM

transition_chris wrote: It sounds like the tire is not seated properly in the rim. Did you buy the tires from us? If so, next time just give us a call if you need help!

The most important part is to make sure the bead is fully seated in the rim. To do this, inflate your tire to around 10 PSI and then rock it back and forth on the rim to make sure it is seated properly. Inflate a little bit more and then repeat. If the bead has slipped out when you were inflating the tire, check it for damage. If it is torn you may need a new tire.

Ah I think thats it. Thanks a lot for the help. And no I bought it from Cyclepath Calgary. But have ordered stuff from you guys in the past. Great service, love your shop.

Go truck yourself!

8/20/2014 6:50 PM

Inspect the tire bead, the rim and find where the tubes pop. That will help narrow down what they issue is. Then correct it. I would bet you pinched the tubes.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

8/20/2014 7:19 PM

MidWestBMX wrote: why would you need more than 60 psi anyway?

This

8/20/2014 8:15 PM

MidWestBMX wrote: why would you need more than 60 psi anyway?

adamnmexican wrote: This

Might as well ask all the people who run breaks, freecoaster hubs, and/or pegs and why they need them..

Most up-to-date/latest bike check.

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/20/2014 8:54 PM

i cant stand anything below 50 or so, feels waterlogged and sluggish
70-80 for everything is nice imo

8/21/2014 7:20 AM

check to see if there is something in the tire and check the rimstrip for a hole.
something sharp is probably in there causing the puncture.
find out where the hole is and look at the corresponding area in the rim/tire.
hope this helps!

8/21/2014 7:23 AM

I also put baby powder in my tires to reduce friction and pinch flats not really gonna help you here though.

8/21/2014 11:17 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote: i cant stand anything below 50 or so, feels waterlogged and sluggish
70-80 for everything is nice imo

This.

I weigh 245 lbs give or take depending on if I pooped, and I run 80 MAX on the BMX. Usually I air em up once a month or so (I don't ride a lot these days).

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

Post a Reply to: Tubes popping at 70 psi

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm