4li2k73z   Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

What is the difference between a freewheel hub and a cassette hub

12/31/2009 1:07 PM

Nooby question i know

but what is the diffeence between a freewheel hub and a cassette hub? i have a freewheel hub on my specialized fuse 3 and a cassette hub on my haro and theyy both feel the same

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

12/31/2009 1:10 PM

freewheel is 13t and up
cassette uses a driver which is 12t-8t

A 20 year old little kids bicycle rider.

Follow my adventures on Instagram @resslerbmx

12/31/2009 1:13 PM

Ressler711 wrote: freewheel is 13t and up
cassette uses a driver which is 12t-8t

do the drivers get sold seprately and what is the diference in feel between the two

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

12/31/2009 1:17 PM

the freewheel of a cassette is sealed inside the hub and the driver is a different part that locks into it with a pawl system. A freewheel is the driver and freewheel all in one piece that treads to a hub that is usually a flip flop hub that takes 14 n 13 tooth freewheels. Cassettes r better and some can take a 13t driver like my Demolition hub. Over all you will get better alignment in your drive train and the hub will last much longer.

Now don't quote me on this one...

12/31/2009 1:17 PM

freewheels thread on to the hub shell and cassettes drivers go on the axle. i think freewheels don't need as much maintenance.

crystal meth

12/31/2009 1:23 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote: the freewheel of a cassette is sealed inside the hub and the driver is a different part that locks into it with a pawl system. A freewheel is the driver and freewheel all in one piece that treads to a hub that is usually a flip flop hub that takes 14 n 13 tooth freewheels. Cassettes r better and some can take a 13t driver like my Demolition hub. Over all you will get better alignment in your drive train and the hub will last much longer.

Why is that?

12/31/2009 1:26 PM

the good of a freewheel is that when it goes bad you can pop a new ody 13t on there no problem. But they will go bad sooner than a cassette's because it is exposed more than the cassette, who's freewheel is only exposed when the driver is removed. How ever when the freewheel mechanism in a cassette is done so is the hub because it is sealed and that is the way it is...

Now don't quote me on this one...

12/31/2009 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2009 1:28 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote: the good of a freewheel is that when it goes bad you can pop a new ody 13t on there no problem. But they will go bad sooner than a cassette's because it is exposed more than the cassette, who's freewheel is only exposed when the driver is removed. How ever when the freewheel mechanism in a cassette is done so is the hub because it is sealed and that is the way it is...

that didn't make any sense. and im pretty sure your wrong, and whatever bloghogs is about to post will be right because he is god

crystal meth

12/31/2009 1:33 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote: the freewheel of a cassette is sealed inside the hub and the driver is a different part that locks into it with a pawl system. A freewheel is the driver and freewheel all in one piece that treads to a hub that is usually a flip flop hub that takes 14 n 13 tooth freewheels. Cassettes r better and some can take a 13t driver like my Demolition hub. Over all you will get better alignment in your drive train and the hub will last much longer.

so what ur saying is that you can use either a freewheel or a driver with a cassete

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

12/31/2009 1:34 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote: the freewheel of a cassette is sealed inside the hub and the driver is a different part that locks into it with a pawl system. A freewheel is the driver and freewheel all in one piece that treads to a hub that is usually a flip flop hub that takes 14 n 13 tooth freewheels. Cassettes r better and some can take a 13t driver like my Demolition hub. Over all you will get better alignment in your drive train and the hub will last much longer.

Zachy D wrote: so what ur saying is that you can use either a freewheel or a driver with a cassete

no

12/31/2009 1:37 PM

http://www.bikeman.com/WIND-FWENO16.html The freewheel has come along way.Im not saying it's better than a cassette.Im not saying a cassette is better.For people who grind and need smaller sprockets for clearance,cassette is the way to go.

12/31/2009 1:43 PM

I am right for those who actually are interested. But for those who just want to poke fun please enjoy. The term freewheel is the part of the rear hub that allows the wheel to spin when you are coasting forwards. You may know of it, it makes a clicking or ticking sound? If you look at Ody. 13t freewheel you will see that it is a driver and freewheel all in one. Its simple really.
A cassette hub with no driver on it would leave the internal freewheel open and exposed to dust and dirt but once you have the driver installed it (the freewheel) is again sealed inside by the driver. If you look at the hub shell of a cassette you can see the bump out on the drive side that makes room for the sealed freewheel and that is where the pawls of a driver engage the hub. If you think that is complicated than look at freecoasters and Easterns rear hub (Birectional). And that is just how it is.

Now don't quote me on this one...

12/31/2009 1:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2009 1:51 PM

I think I speak for everyone when I say What?

12/31/2009 2:06 PM

Great another house of cards bites the dust.Again,I have nothing against cassettes.Just blanket statements.

12/31/2009 2:16 PM

r u sure your not looking for vital skate bloghogs? NO? o k ..... Dude it is not rocket science. It is a hub? cassettes have drivers and flip flop hubs have freewheels. A cassette is basically state of the art, and flip flop hubs are for entry level race bikes for 10 year olds just out of training wheels. If you got a good flip flop hub good for you! But like dude said you aren't going any smaller than a 13t size freewheel. You can still quicken up the ratio by running 33/13 or 30/13 (instead of 36/13 if you get a new sprocket. Oh sorry, hope I didn't lose anyone with the words ratio or sprocket.

Now don't quote me on this one...

12/31/2009 2:25 PM

i know im slow when it comes to this kinda stuff so what your basicly saying is that
flipflop hub = freewheel
cassette hub = driver

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

12/31/2009 2:26 PM

Zachy D wrote: i know im slow when it comes to this kinda stuff so what your basicly saying is that
flipflop hub = freewheel
cassette hub = driver

yes

crystal meth

12/31/2009 2:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2009 2:30 PM

Zachy D wrote: i know im slow when it comes to this kinda stuff so what your basicly saying is that
flipflop hub = freewheel
cassette hub = driver

Harry95 wrote: yes

ohhh ok



haha one more question without disassembling the hub how do you find out if you have a flip flop or a cassette

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

12/31/2009 2:31 PM

Zachy D wrote: i know im slow when it comes to this kinda stuff so what your basicly saying is that
flipflop hub = freewheel
cassette hub = driver

Harry95 wrote: yes

Zachy D wrote: ohhh ok



haha one more question without disassembling the hub how do you find out if you have a flip flop or a cassette

hmmmmm i can't really explain someone else probably can. or just post a picture of your hub and we can tell you

crystal meth

12/31/2009 2:31 PM

You don't know who your fucking with do you kid?Just because you can run a smaller sprocket does not make it better.Only people with pegs need the smaller sprocket.Again.I have no problems with cassettes.Instead of saying state of the art,give me some solid reasons why a cassette is better than a freewheel.(the new kinds not a Dicta).Can you do that?
P.S.Still lots of people racing freewheels.

12/31/2009 2:31 PM

Zachy D wrote: i know im slow when it comes to this kinda stuff so what your basicly saying is that
flipflop hub = freewheel
cassette hub = driver

Lets make it simple, free wheel threads on, cassette comes in a one piece driver or driver with cogs.

12/31/2009 2:32 PM

bloghogs wrote: http://www.bikeman.com/WIND-FWENO16.html The freewheel has come along way.Im not saying it's better than a cassette.Im not saying a cassette is better.For people who grind and need smaller sprockets for clearance,cassette is the way to go.

My local shop <3

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Mutiny- Kink- Odyssey- Eclat
Facebook

12/31/2009 2:33 PM

Harry95 wrote: yes

Zachy D wrote: ohhh ok



haha one more question without disassembling the hub how do you find out if you have a flip flop or a cassette

Harry95 wrote: hmmmmm i can't really explain someone else probably can. or just post a picture of your hub and we can tell you

If you have a flip flop both sides of you hub will be threaded.

12/31/2009 2:34 PM

Sorry for this question, but what does it mean when your driver skips? I couldn't find it on google.

Refs: irideafly, nikpeterson, spikez5, \BMX-1995/

12/31/2009 2:34 PM

Zachy D wrote: i know im slow when it comes to this kinda stuff so what your basicly saying is that
flipflop hub = freewheel
cassette hub = driver

Over 30 and still riding wrote: Lets make it simple, free wheel threads on, cassette comes in a one piece driver or driver with cogs.

ok thx alteast now i know a little bit more about hubs haha

☻/
/▌
/ \
___ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡π̲̲͡|̡̡̡____

This is Bob and his beautiful beach house, copy and paste him on your signature so he can obtain Vital domination!

12/31/2009 2:37 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote: r u sure your not looking for vital skate bloghogs? NO? o k ..... Dude it is not rocket science. It is a hub? cassettes have drivers and flip flop hubs have freewheels. A cassette is basically state of the art, and flip flop hubs are for entry level race bikes for 10 year olds just out of training wheels. If you got a good flip flop hub good for you! But like dude said you aren't going any smaller than a 13t size freewheel. You can still quicken up the ratio by running 33/13 or 30/13 (instead of 36/13 if you get a new sprocket. Oh sorry, hope I didn't lose anyone with the words ratio or sprocket.

please just shut up. bloghogs is smarter than you and can prove that most of what you said is wrong

crystal meth

12/31/2009 2:40 PM

a flip flop hub will have a are you fucking with me freewheel on it! It will also have threads on both sides of the hub shell for get this the freewheel to thread onto. a cassette has no visible threads anywhere on the hub shell because a DRIVER locks into the freewheel thats INSIDE the hub shell.
go to danscomp.com and select hubs. Look at REAR cassette and freewheel hubs. The first hub (coalition) is a flip flop and every other hub on there is not.

Now don't quote me on this one...

12/31/2009 2:41 PM

Harry95 wrote: please just shut up. bloghogs is smarter than you and can prove that most of what you said is wrong

lol nothing I have said is wrong unless it is a mistake in my typing. lol you sure have a sense of humor Harry. lol

Now don't quote me on this one...

12/31/2009 2:42 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote: a flip flop hub will have a are you fucking with me freewheel on it! It will also have threads on both sides of the hub shell for get this the freewheel to thread onto. a cassette has no visible threads anywhere on the hub shell because a DRIVER locks into the freewheel thats INSIDE the hub shell.
go to danscomp.com and select hubs. Look at REAR cassette and freewheel hubs. The first hub (coalition) is a flip flop and every other hub on there is not.

you probably just confused him more. a freewheel doesn't have to be flip flop. some only have one side with threads

crystal meth

12/31/2009 2:42 PM

ur so fun i am finding it harder to shut up. Its like helping one person while finding out how dumb another person is at the same time.

Now don't quote me on this one...

Post a Reply to: What is the difference between a freewheel hub and a cassette hub

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm