4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Whats a FREECOASTER

3/8/2009 6:30 AM

3/8/2009 7:35 AM

a back hub where you can roll backwards without having to pedal

so your FREE from the pedaling and you just COAST ;D

refs: fuckyou2, pocoloco, fecho, loco_for_riding

3/8/2009 7:48 AM

plus you can set your pedals up before you start a trick, and they will still be there when you go back to land on them! yay!

theres also the issue of slack....

3/8/2009 10:52 AM

Its a specific type of hub that lets you roll backwards without pedaling. You pay quite a bit of money for one, but after that, rolling backwards becomes free of charge for the duration of your hub's existence.

This message is brought to you by JonathanAllen.

This is Red Panda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda ;

MOTW 5/17/2010 - 5/23/2010

3/8/2009 10:54 AM

JonathanAllen wrote: Its a specific type of hub that lets you roll backwards without pedaling. You pay quite a bit of money for one, but after that, rolling backwards becomes free of charge for the duration of your hub's existence.

oh so realy its not important to have

3/8/2009 10:55 AM

fbmenergy wrote: oh so realy its not important to have

You don't really need one. Just like alot of people don't really 'need' brakes.

It's all personal preference.

This is Red Panda.

3/8/2009 12:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2009 12:45 PM

how does a freecoaster work? like does it automatically know when your going backwards or do you need to do something to "put it in backwards mode" i guess you could say

are they really a lot of maintence or do people exaggerate that? also what is "adjusting the slack" mean?

i heart my bicycle

3/8/2009 1:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2009 1:42 PM

EvoJoeIX wrote: how does a freecoaster work? like does it automatically know when your going backwards or do you need to do something to "put it in backwards mode" i guess you could say

are they really a lot of maintence or do people exaggerate that? also what is "adjusting the slack" mean?

It has a special clutch that disengages the driver when you coast forward, and backwards. It only engages when the pedals move forward.

They aren't too bad for maintenance, I had one on and of for the last 2 + years, I didn't do a lot to it, but I hear your best bet would be to pop it apart once a month or maybe a little more often, clean and regrease it.

Adjusting the slack, you put it more spacers (inside the hub) to make it pedal more or less to engage the hub so you can pedal forward. They do have freecoasters that allow you to adjust the slack without taking them off you bike, I believe it takes an allen wrench and twisting of the axle. If you want it to catch and pedal really fast (not like 1/4 of a crank) you put in more spacers, and take more out if you want it to take a lot more pedaling forward to catch. Usually never more than 1/4 of a crank.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

3/8/2009 1:45 PM

dude Gary has one you shuold know that you were at underground friday

3/8/2009 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2009 1:48 PM

jeramia smith, and mark webb were at woodward yesterday they r insane you shuold check them out on you tube

3/8/2009 1:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2009 4:20 PM

its kinda like umm... a coaster brake, but its free from braking... and unfortuanatly contrary to the name it costs money... actually more than a normal hub... and you can pretend to be ian schwartz and karl pointer and ryan burnquest, kyle antonowich, j.j. relolds, dave spinner and pretty much any one who as a kinda.. well actually totaly broken chain oh and edwin sylvester has 1 2.

3/8/2009 1:55 PM

mate just google it

3/8/2009 3:00 PM

dudeeee google that shittttt

3/8/2009 4:20 PM

google it

3/8/2009 5:00 PM

yahoo it

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

3/8/2009 5:32 PM

Google your mom.

This is Red Panda.

3/8/2009 5:35 PM

google your dad

I <3 theamazingjack, dan, ressler, and dakota

3/8/2009 7:25 PM

EvoJoeIX wrote: how does a freecoaster work? like does it automatically know when your going backwards or do you need to do something to "put it in backwards mode" i guess you could say

dave lawrence wrote: It has a special clutch that disengages the driver when you coast forward, and backwards. It only engages when the pedals move forward.

They aren't too bad for maintenance, I had one on and of for the last 2 + years, I didn't do a lot to it, but I hear your best bet would be to pop it apart once a month or maybe a little more often, clean and regrease it.

Adjusting the slack, you put it more spacers (inside the hub) to make it pedal more or less to engage the hub so you can pedal forward. They do have freecoasters that allow you to adjust the slack without taking them off you bike, I believe it takes an allen wrench and twisting of the axle. If you want it to catch and pedal really fast (not like 1/4 of a crank) you put in more spacers, and take more out if you want it to take a lot more pedaling forward to catch. Usually never more than 1/4 of a crank.

good info man
thanks

i heart my bicycle

Post a Reply to: Whats a FREECOASTER

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm