4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

drive side guards

4/13/2014 10:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2014 9:57 AM

I think I'm going to try out 4 pegs so I'm looking to buy a drive side guard for my KHE Astern.

I know a bunch of people prefer chromo guards to aluminum because they don't deform and whatnot, but I want to hear what else you all have to say. Recommend some specific ones if you have experience with them (and give reasons why you recommend them).

4/13/2014 10:26 PM

I vote for chromoly, like the S&M, Division, or Daily Grind. There's more guards too but these would be my top picks.

Reasoning for chromoly is just as you said, they don't deform easily like aluminum guards do. The Primo DSG guard I heard & have seen deform where the axle goes, making it hard to get it on & off, or even seizing on altogether. Also because they're typically thinner & require less effort spreading your dropouts. Lastly, they last much longer. It's not a drive side guard, but my S&M hub guard on my non-drive side is coming up on being 2 years old now & only has scratches to show for it & one little mark. I had an FBM guard before that for only a few months & it was dinged up super bad.

4/14/2014 12:54 PM

anyone?

4/14/2014 1:41 PM

I hear the Kink DSG is pretty good I plan on getting it after Easter.

Bike Check
PLEASE LIKE THIS
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

4/14/2014 1:50 PM

Stocksy wrote: I hear the Kink DSG is pretty good I plan on getting it after Easter.

I have no experience with that guard, but looking at it, it seems like it'd be harder to get in your dropouts than normal guards since where the axle goes isn't enclosed. Most guards you can just slide over your axle & jam it into your dropouts, this one seems like you wouldn't be able to do that & instead would have to have someone spread the dropouts for it to be able to fit in there. Then again it could be really thin & easily slide in there so idk.

4/14/2014 1:53 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote: I have no experience with that guard, but looking at it, it seems like it'd be harder to get in your dropouts than normal guards since where the axle goes isn't enclosed. Most guards you can just slide over your axle & jam it into your dropouts, this one seems like you wouldn't be able to do that & instead would have to have someone spread the dropouts for it to be able to fit in there. Then again it could be really thin & easily slide in there so idk.

Good point! I never even thought of that!

Bike Check
PLEASE LIKE THIS
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

4/14/2014 3:22 PM

I don't run pegs, but all my friends do. Those who run pegs on the drive side all have the Primo PC guard. All of them swear by it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
"Life's a pizza. Eat it."
-Gary Ginch
"omg u own a truck and drive boots let me fuck you"
-xxOhioanxx
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid
#cantbancollin
#savefastplants
#hungandsexless
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4/14/2014 3:32 PM

I have the Primo DSG in plastic. A buddy of mine got one a long time ago and it had some flex. I would thing someone should come up with a rubberized plastic one that flexes a bit, then it wont bust your chain if it flexes, and it will absorb impacts well.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

4/14/2014 5:54 PM

I've run a few dsg's over the years.

The coalition on was utter garbage

The alloy primo one wasn't to bad I didn't have bend it back into shape but I did mainly run it on my left side wish is my oppo side.

Just got a S&M cymbol dsg and it's a hell of a lot thinner. Sort of shocked me how far my rear end is spread out from the primo. I put it to use yesterday and it got a few scratches but nothing to worry about

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

4/15/2014 9:57 AM

bump

4/15/2014 10:04 AM

Primo DSG, not the plastic one. been on it for...7 months? still doing great.

4/17/2014 7:01 AM

get a primo one. black, fits most 14mm hubs. and best of all its like 9 bucks ha. if you dont care about price get a daily grind but it would be a pointless waste of money

4/17/2014 7:07 AM

since were on the topic of dsg, will all these work with the cult coaster? just whacked my fourth peg on and dont wanna fuck up ma sheiiit

Bike check

4/17/2014 7:13 AM

I know for sure that the S&M works on the cult coaster. I'm running it on mine now

4/17/2014 7:24 AM

Gump wrote: I know for sure that the S&M works on the cult coaster. I'm running it on mine now

HOLY SHIT! its £50 in the uk!! thats stupid. Imma have to see if topsey can get me one when he nexts orders from empire................

Bike check

4/17/2014 6:07 PM

Gump wrote: I know for sure that the S&M works on the cult coaster. I'm running it on mine now

EddiMundo wrote: HOLY SHIT! its £50 in the uk!! thats stupid. Imma have to see if topsey can get me one when he nexts orders from empire................

It is more expensive but the fact that it's chromo it will last 100x longer than alloy. It's also thinner so you won't spread your frame anywhere as much.

I paid $60 Australian for mine. Best decision so far

4/17/2014 6:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2014 11:14 PM

the primo dsg plastic is the only dsg i have run for a long time, because they don't bend they usually outlast the alu. version, also because they don't stay bent inward they won't rip spokes apart (its happened to me), they are cheap af, and because they are plastic they slide better than other hubguard i have ever had. the only downside to them is that you have to tighten the crap out of the drive-side nut or your wheel will slide forward on the dropout.

4/17/2014 8:12 PM

I need a DS guard for a Demolition Rotator

Puberty hit Hermoine like a bus...

#Lacehubsnotweed

Check out my whip here

4/17/2014 9:06 PM

I had an Eastern PC guard, worked great and lasted longer than I thought.

4/20/2014 9:18 AM

primo alloy or daily grind. best ones out there.

Pop a tire I'm sweatin'.

4/20/2014 9:44 AM

Kink looks grand. Chromoly and looks easy to install, just slightly spread your frame with your rear wheel installed and slide it in. It also has an anti-roller thing to keep it from shifting.

Second choice would be the Daily Grind. Its Chromoly and reasonably cheap.

I think the pricing on S&M guards is outrageous. I know everyone thinks theyre worth it but I honestly believe theres better for cheaper. Only real advantage to the S&M is the shape, it helps kick you onto what youre grinding, but personally I dont care about all that.

Life behind bars.

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

For sale!! 21" The Make Croft $100, Mutiny Glam v2 $20, Custom trans blue Odyssey Lumberjacks $20! Get at me!

4/20/2014 10:22 AM

The only DSG anyone should consider is the Daily Grind really. It's not overpriced (like S&M), it doesn't bend in or anything (like the Primo or any alloy garbage) and it doesn't spread your frame (like the alloy garbage I already mentioned). If you consider getting a plastic DSG (which is way better than alloy!) then get the Primo. But only the plastic one.

4/20/2014 11:18 AM

Gump wrote: It is more expensive but the fact that it's chromo it will last 100x longer than alloy. It's also thinner so you won't spread your frame anywhere as much.

I paid $60 Australian for mine. Best decision so far

Yeah I know, I'm getting topsey to order me one from the us so its gunna cost like £25-30 so yeah. Sorted!

Bike check

Post a Reply to: drive side guards

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm