4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

titanium vs. chromoly

6/28/2008 10:16 PM

i know titanium is light than cromo but is it weeker...i thoguht it was slightly weeker?????is it?????

6/28/2008 10:17 PM

it bends a lot easier

TI

My refs ?... Nigga just ask about me

6/28/2008 10:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2008 10:23 PM

titanium is stronger in a sence but weeker as well.

chromoly is heavy but it bends slightly and has just a little bit of give to it.

certain titanium on the other hand is very rigid, and while being strong, will snap instead of bending. other titanium is strong but will bend and flex.

instead of just bending your frame it will snap in half. same with your axle or spindle. even though it is more rigid though when you ride a titanium frame it feels like it's flexing a lot. because it is. if you used rigid titanium in frames they would snap easily.





in short.



chromoly = heavy as fuck.

titanium = light but expensive

7075 or 6061 aluminum = light strong and fairly inexpensive.



7075 is aircraft grade aluminum btw.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

6/29/2008 2:11 AM

I agree with the previous statement. Ti is a far superior material for just about anything. Chromoly is just a alloy steel. Ti, well, thats just something thats like a freak of nature. It's like something scientist sit around a talk about. Its rare so its expensive, but the thing is, is that a lot of company's gloat about heat treating, but dense material snaps easier than something with a little flex. If you could you would want the right titanium alloy for almost everything, at least until they make something better available to the public. But I can say this for sure, aluminum is something that will bend over time, and is also soft in nature. Not what you want in a bmx bike. Ti is much better, just not practical. But chromoly steel is perfect for bmx, because its just a bit lighter than unprocessed steel, and in most cases just as strong. Stealth jets are made out of titanium, so just think about it... It is a bit much for a bmx bike. However some parts being made out of ti, well that is going to lighten up you bike with out making you look to eccentric or weird, or even get you shot and robbed. I am going to melt down my 50 ti spokes into an engagement ring! LOL

6/29/2008 5:28 AM

i like your mum

6/29/2008 5:29 AM

lol

6/29/2008 5:34 PM

I took metalcraft and welding in college, and this is what they taught me:

Ti is stronger only in a strength to weight ratio. Snaps, doesn't bend. It is very expensive, due to the rareness of the material. Not cost effective for larger parts.

Chromoly is all around MUCH more cost effective, and is actually stronger, but is heavier. Can bend. Its made of (if i recall correctly) Molybdenum, and Chromium, which in turn makes it a moderately light, very strong alloy. (add a little nickel and it would be rust resistant too)

Aluminum doesn't bend very much, it generally just breaks, and if it should bend, if you try to bend it back, it will snap. pretty inexpensive, depending on the grade of aluminum.

In conclusion, if you are fairly easy on your parts, and don't mind the extra cost, Ti can be a good way to go to save weight. If you destroy chromoly, don't buy Ti, it most likely will not last too long.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

6/29/2008 7:30 PM

Sum it all up:
1. Ti is to expensive for its brittleness
2. Chromoly is the perfect "in between" metal and thats why its used the most
3. Alluminum sucks.

(\__/)
(=-.-=)
(")_(")

Blazed bunny.
this bunny had a little to much kush.

6/29/2008 8:32 PM

Its like this-

If you put long piece of Ti in a vice and hit it, it could flex like 5000 times before it snaps

Do the same thing with cromoly, it wont flex as much, but can only do it 1000 times

6/29/2008 8:32 PM

Its like this-

If you put long piece of Ti in a vice and hit it, it could flex like 5000 times before it snaps

Do the same thing with cromoly, it wont flex as much, but can only do it 1000 times

6/29/2008 8:33 PM

ti wont flex at all it will just snap and kill you

(\__/)
(=-.-=)
(")_(")

Blazed bunny.
this bunny had a little to much kush.

6/29/2008 8:38 PM

BikerBrandon wrote: Sum it all up:
1. Ti is to expensive for its brittleness
2. Chromoly is the perfect "in between" metal and thats why its used the most
3. Alluminum sucks.

I do not think that aluminum sucks for everything though. , .

http://www.formatny.com/blog/ ;
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

6/29/2008 8:39 PM

justridebikes wrote: Its like this-

If you put long piece of Ti in a vice and hit it, it could flex like 5000 times before it snaps

Do the same thing with cromoly, it wont flex as much, but can only do it 1000 times

your full of shit it cant Flex its brittle and snaps easy

DANGER!

6/29/2008 9:12 PM

Wow man, my dad rides mtb and road bikes, has bikes prolly worth more than your car, and has showed me how ti flexes more.

6/30/2008 12:58 AM

justridebikes wrote: Wow man, my dad rides mtb and road bikes, has bikes prolly worth more than your car, and has showed me how ti flexes more.

well concidering it cant flex becoze of its brittleness your full of shit and seeing that i dont have a car, a k-mart huffy would be worth more.

DANGER!

6/30/2008 6:06 AM

justridebikes wrote: Wow man, my dad rides mtb and road bikes, has bikes prolly worth more than your car, and has showed me how ti flexes more.

So your dad got a piece of Ti and hit it with a hammer 5000 times? Then a piece of Chromoly 1000 times? I doubt that. Go to school before you say things you know little about.

Chances are on his road bikes there is a lot more carbon fiber parts than Ti parts. Road bikes do not take a large amount of abuse so they can get away with that.

Even if your dad told you Ti is stronger, I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR THIS KIND OF STUFF. I know my shit. Ti is only stronger IF you base it on STRENGTH to WEIGHT. Ti is much more brittle than Chromoly.

Ti DOES NOT flex much. It bends a tiny bit, then BREAKS. If it could take so much abuse, why wouldn't ALL parts be Ti? Look at the Ti Grim Reaper frame, it does NOT have a lifetime warranty, AND they state in the description "Note: while Eastern has tested this frame to ensure it's safe to ride, there is no warranty against denting or breaking." Do you see that on Chromoly parts? Nope. I think that right there should tell you that Ti is not stronger.

Who cares what his bike is worth? What does that have to do with anything?

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

6/30/2008 6:14 AM

justridebikes what r u talkin about? ti doesnt flex more than chromo, ti is brittle

6/30/2008 10:50 AM

dave lawrence wrote: I took metalcraft and welding in college, and this is what they taught me:

Ti is stronger only in a strength to weight ratio. Snaps, doesn't bend. It is very expensive, due to the rareness of the material. Not cost effective for larger parts.

Chromoly is all around MUCH more cost effective, and is actually stronger, but is heavier. Can bend. Its made of (if i recall correctly) Molybdenum, and Chromium, which in turn makes it a moderately light, very strong alloy. (add a little nickel and it would be rust resistant too)

Aluminum doesn't bend very much, it generally just breaks, and if it should bend, if you try to bend it back, it will snap. pretty inexpensive, depending on the grade of aluminum.

In conclusion, if you are fairly easy on your parts, and don't mind the extra cost, Ti can be a good way to go to save weight. If you destroy chromoly, don't buy Ti, it most likely will not last too long.

This statement is correct.

Youre correct on the Molybdenum.

REFS: trickbiker169, Dah Man, letstartariot, Hofmann Scarab

6/30/2008 11:43 AM

molybdenum is also used in the making of nuclear bombs... but i like chromoly... ti isnt in my buget... and not ALL chomoly is extremely heavy

dont think of it as rape, think of it as surprise sex. and who doesnt love a surprise?

6/30/2008 2:24 PM

dave lawrence wrote: So your dad got a piece of Ti and hit it with a hammer 5000 times? Then a piece of Chromoly 1000 times? I doubt that. Go to school before you say things you know little about.

Chances are on his road bikes there is a lot more carbon fiber parts than Ti parts. Road bikes do not take a large amount of abuse so they can get away with that.

Even if your dad told you Ti is stronger, I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR THIS KIND OF STUFF. I know my shit. Ti is only stronger IF you base it on STRENGTH to WEIGHT. Ti is much more brittle than Chromoly.

Ti DOES NOT flex much. It bends a tiny bit, then BREAKS. If it could take so much abuse, why wouldn't ALL parts be Ti? Look at the Ti Grim Reaper frame, it does NOT have a lifetime warranty, AND they state in the description "Note: while Eastern has tested this frame to ensure it's safe to ride, there is no warranty against denting or breaking." Do you see that on Chromoly parts? Nope. I think that right there should tell you that Ti is not stronger.

Who cares what his bike is worth? What does that have to do with anything?

I didnt say that, and ti is alittle more springy but when it flexes too much itll snap, it wont bend. and yeah he had ti bars, they were a lil flexy..and from what ive seen from you on this forum your some kind of know it all , ur always saying u know everything. I didnt say it was stronger, and I AM SAYING IF WILL FLEX MORE TIMES

6/30/2008 2:46 PM

titanium is stronger than chromoly pound for pound. I would only use titanium for parts i don't put much stress on

6/30/2008 3:59 PM

i have a titanium sprocket that proves ti doesnt flex too well

Ride Fast, Fly High
Live, Love, Flow, Die

6/30/2008 3:59 PM

btw its cracked

Ride Fast, Fly High
Live, Love, Flow, Die

6/30/2008 6:55 PM

I know my stuff when it comes to metals, and their properties, as I went to school for it. I never claimed to know everything. If someone says something that I don't necessarily agree with, I toss in what my knowledge of the subject if I happen to have any. Pardon me for trying to make sure that people get their facts straight, whether it is the same as what I said or not.

When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same, out there for the fun of it, the challenge of progression, and the personal accountability we have for the results we get. There are no teams to let down, no coaches to scream about a missed pedal, and no obstacles that cannot be overcome.

6/30/2008 7:30 PM

BikerBrandon wrote: Sum it all up:
1. Ti is to expensive for its brittleness
2. Chromoly is the perfect "in between" metal and thats why its used the most
3. Alluminum sucks.

christopherk wrote: I do not think that aluminum sucks for everything though. , .

there's not many parts made from aluminum though
it doesn't work for frames, bars, forks, sprockets, cranks, and everything that has last through some beatings.

maybe bar ends.
and brake lever or something idk.

(\__/)
(=-.-=)
(")_(")

Blazed bunny.
this bunny had a little to much kush.

6/30/2008 7:40 PM

primo hollowbites are aluminum

.

6/30/2008 9:33 PM

justridebikes wrote: I didnt say that, and ti is alittle more springy but when it flexes too much itll snap, it wont bend. and yeah he had ti bars, they were a lil flexy..and from what ive seen from you on this forum your some kind of know it all , ur always saying u know everything. I didnt say it was stronger, and I AM SAYING IF WILL FLEX MORE TIMES

but it wont

DANGER!

6/30/2008 10:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2008 10:49 PM

Chromoly is the only metal used for bmx bikes that can have a lifetime warranty therefore it is stronger but TI is alot more lighter

Get out there and ride ya local trails

7/1/2008 1:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2008 1:36 AM

When titanium frames and parts first hit the BMX market they were advertised as being lighter and stiffer than aluminum but stronger than chromoly. It turns out that a little flex is a good thing for street/park/trail bikes, if the parts are too stiff they just break on impact. Titanium and aluminum are great for race bikes though if you are smooth.

Listen to Dave Lawrence, you really can't argue against someone who is educated on a college level on the subject. Stay in school kids.

I awarded myself infinite cool points. Breaking the rules has never been this cool... EVER! Forever.

7/1/2008 7:41 AM

BikerBrandon wrote: Sum it all up:
1. Ti is to expensive for its brittleness
2. Chromoly is the perfect "in between" metal and thats why its used the most
3. Alluminum sucks.

christopherk wrote: I do not think that aluminum sucks for everything though. , .

BikerBrandon wrote: there's not many parts made from aluminum though
it doesn't work for frames, bars, forks, sprockets, cranks, and everything that has last through some beatings.

maybe bar ends.
and brake lever or something idk.

I don't think there is one chrome-moly sprocket on the market. They are all aluminum
Post a Reply to: titanium vs. chromoly

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm