4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Does my headset look on right?

7/4/2014 3:27 PM

Everything works great and it spins as fast as always but is there suppose to be this gap like this?
I put it down as far as I could.

7/7/2014 1:15 PM

Mine looks like that and works fine its a wtp headset with a pro-lite cap

BORN FAST ish

7/7/2014 1:16 PM

unless you mean your stem that looks wrong

BORN FAST ish

7/13/2014 8:44 PM

Running the stem like that is gonna be a bad time.
I'd pull that spacer. Maybe use one half that large or the stem is gonna let go brutally just going off a curb!

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

7/28/2014 7:57 PM

it's 'right' with regards to your spacer alignment, if that's what you mean (ie, the gap between the top of your head-tube and the 'race' thing [lol dunno what they're called])...
if you mean the entirety of it, then hell no, your stem is wayyy high on your fork's steerer tube, i mean scary high and i'd def second Boston in that the thing doesn't even look safe (just look at your 1st pic: your fork's steerer tube is only about halfway into that stem. If you want that to be safe, you need a new fork w/ a longer steerer tube, or, much more practical, just ditch that spacer so you can put the stem down further on your steerer tube. W/o putting my ruler to my screen, it does look like removing that spacer will be more than sufficient to give you all the stem:steerer contact needed... hell, it may be too much and require you to either chop the steerer tube further, or use a smaller spacer than the one you have there right now. Either way plz don't ride that, even gently/carefully, cuz just 'not breaking it' isn't useful I know i'd be uncomfortable knowing my stem was stressed like that being only half-connected and then force being applied, even just a cruise-ride's amount of force)

7/29/2014 12:00 AM

ehh youre probably good.

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

7/30/2014 4:02 PM

you're wrong. Not only is it dumb to have only half the strength of contact your stem/steer-tube are designed to have, but when it's hanging half off the top like that the stress isn't evenly distributed to the stem.

9/2/2014 10:31 PM

Evan1177 wrote: Everything works great and it spins as fast as always but is there suppose to be this gap like this?
I put it down as far as I could.

take that spacer out and slam that shit down and increase your clamping surface. The top of your fork should be in the upper clamping area of your stem, otherwise your are going to end snapping the stem or breaking your fork bolt out. As for your Top head set cap, some just have that gap, as long as there is no wiggle and your bars still spin, you should be fine. Also just a tip, dont buy parts with stupid cutouts, your are sacrificing saftey for weight that does not matter.

9/2/2014 10:44 PM

Holy hell, take off that spacer, lol. Your fork steerer tube should always be right on top of any hollow places in the stem. As for the headset dust cover, there's always supposed to be a gap, or else it would rub on the headtube cup. The gap should never be too big though.

Most up-to-date/latest bike check.

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

Post a Reply to: Does my headset look on right?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm