4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Does stem length affect barspins????

6/20/2014 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2014 12:21 AM

Okay so I broke my stem today and i believe it may be a 55mm. Im interested in buying the S&M challenger stem or the S&M credence turtleneck stem, but it comes in a 49mm and 52mm. I just started landing bunny hop barspins and i don't want it to be any harder than it already is. So please tell me what your thoughts are on it. The only problem i have with barspins is the front end is always hitting the ground first, so i don't want to get a stem that increases the chances of that happening even more, you know?

street

6/21/2014 9:14 PM

Shorter stems make the bars spin around faster, so that might make it easier but definitely quicker. 55mm is super long, what stem did you have?

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder
Bike Check

6/22/2014 1:00 AM

notorious NIG wrote: Shorter stems make the bars spin around faster, so that might make it easier but definitely quicker. 55mm is super long, what stem did you have?

The Stolen V1 stem and it measured 53mm. What are your thoughts on the S&M challenger? 49mm 12oz

street

6/23/2014 10:38 PM

I don't know, but my new frame is like 0.25" longer and my stem is like a few mm more rise and it gets above my knee a bit, so barspins are easier if they don't hit your knee(s) and there's even more room with a bit longer frame TT.

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

6/24/2014 1:20 AM

well. bars spinning faster means less time going around which means youre more likely to catch in the air... but youre also more likely to hit dat knee

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/24/2014 9:37 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote: I don't know, but my new frame is like 0.25" longer and my stem is like a few mm more rise and it gets above my knee a bit, so barspins are easier if they don't hit your knee(s) and there's even more room with a bit longer frame TT.

My frame is a 20.5 and I'm 5'11. When I barspin the bars rarely hit my knees because of all the practice I've been doing.

street

6/24/2014 9:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2014 3:03 PM

sketchytravis wrote: well. bars spinning faster means less time going around which means youre more likely to catch in the air... but youre also more likely to hit dat knee

Why would you say I'm more likely to hit my knee? Won't the bars be closer to the cent of the headset providing more clearance?

street

7/7/2014 1:08 PM

long ass stem+short toptube=awkward barspins usually. But it sounds like youre pretty practiced in barspinnery, so I wouldn't worry about stem length much.

I love sketchy shit
this is my ride
Team Hazard for life.

9/2/2014 10:47 PM

short stem will make bars easier. also more clearance but you will prob. not notice that. I had a 48mm Animal MR TL . It was nice.
I used to have the Odyssey Elementry stem wich I really miss.

Post a Reply to: Does stem length affect barspins????

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm