4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

HOW TO FIX YOUR BIKE

12/2/2009 4:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2010 4:08 PM

Wheel building and wheel truing

Wheel building

I have no experienced in this so I am going to refer you to some videos and web sites that can explain it better then I ever could.

Wheel building videos

Part 1

Part 2

Wheel building web sites

These are for you less visual learners that like to read more then watch.

http://www.tenpackbmx.com/...eel_Building_101.pdf

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

An amendment to the section twisted added on wheel building...

what to do after your wheel is built... by ridebmxnc

Once you've built your wheel and your spokes are all properly tensioned (barely move when you squeeze two of them together if at all), your going to want to break in your newly built wheel.

Just like you have to break in a new pair of shoes, a wheel needs to be broken in before its riden too hard or your going to create a lot more work for yourself. Why you ask? Because spokes are typically much harder than the material your hub is made out of and when you put stress on two metal parts rubbing together one of them is going to have to give. If you've ever taken apart a hub before you'll notice that some if not all of the spoke holes on your hub will have a little indentation around the hole. That is where the spoke has pulled on the flange and set itself during its initial break in period.

So what are you supposed to do with this knowledge now? Pre-stress your wheel before you go really ride it for the first time. Now getting back to what next from the first paragraph...

First thing after youve built your wheel, go and find a block of wood. Set one side of your axle on it and press down on the rim, do it gently at first but enough to make the wheel flex a little. Rotate it around and then flip it upside down and do the same thing on the other side.

Next, go back and re-tension and true your wheel because this will have started some of the break in process and the spoke heads will have set a bit.

Next go back to your piece of wood and do the same thing except this time your going to stand on your wheel instead.

Now go back in and re tension and true your wheel again.

Now your wheel is ready to start riding, but not anything hard. Try taking it around the block a few times and doing some bunny hops or 180s.

Go back inside and re-tension and true your wheel. Do this a couple more times and your wheel should be about broken in and ready to do some real riding. After every session your first couple of sessions make sure you re-check the tension and true again.

Performing this process will greatly improve the stiffness and life of your wheelset. Note be very careful stressing the wheel by standing on it... if you're a big dude it might be a better idea to find a smaller person to do it for you just to be safe.

Truing

In short to true all you do is loosen and tighten spokes. Finding out which spokes you tighten and loosen and by how much is the tricky part. Truing is a very time consuming process, which the more times you do it the easier it will become. No matter which method you use you will do the same thing to true you wheel.

First you will find out to which side the wheel is wobbling too. If the wheel wobbles to the left you tighten the spokes on the right then if need be you also loosen spokes on the left just slightly and vice versa. You will only want to turn the spoke about a half turn each time because the spoke could twist and you don’t want that. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Normally you would want and truing stand to do this but there are other ways. Some common ways to check to see if you wheel is true is to use your brakes as guides. We all know most of us don’t run brakes anymore so what else can we use? I will try to explain some of the other things we can use and how to use them. You can use zip ties, markers and you can even build your own truing stand.

Zip ties

Okay, for this you will want to get some zip ties. They will act as you indicator and help you figure to which side the wheel wobbles. You will just put them on your forks so the end is near the wheel.

If the wheel wobbles to the left you tighten the spokes on the right then if need be you also loosen spokes on the left just slightly and vice versa

Marker

1. Get a marker

2. Spin the wheel
3. Slowly move the marker towards the wheel using the forks as a brace.
4. As soon as it touches the wheel you remove it.

5. It should leave a nice mark where you wheel is out of true.

6. Find the mark and tighten the spoke on the other side of the wheel and loosen the spokes on the marked side of the wheel.
7. Repeat on both sides of the until it’s completely true

Home made truing stands.

For the people that want something a little permanent then Zip Ties but don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a truing stand.

Forks and a vice

What you will need

1. Vice
2. Zip ties or anything else that you want to use as the indicator
3. Old forks

I could tell you how to build it but it would be easier to just show you a picture

Here is a link to another one.

http://www.instructables.com/id/S8T2I8KFCEIJ24L/

Please message me if you think if something should be changed or added to it.

HOW TO PUT YOUR BIKE TOGETHER

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

12/2/2009 4:47 PM

wooot. add some more things to this and then sticky it so we can help people fix their bikes!

I LOVE FLY BIKES
I'm what Willis was talking 'bout
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

12/2/2009 4:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2009 5:43 PM

I posted my truing tut on a separate thread but I am having trouble finding it. As soon As I find ill add it back?

edit: found it do you want to edit so it fits better or shall I just paste it in?

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Wheel-building-and-wheel-truing,564297

12/3/2009 4:33 AM

Very good idea, but NOBODY is gonna look at this. You know how the noobs are.

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

12/3/2009 4:50 AM

JustRideBMX wrote: Very good idea, but NOBODY is gonna look at this. You know how the noobs are.

The old one got up to 7 pages then he cleaned it up and it got back up to 5 pages. We just have to get all the info back up there.

12/3/2009 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2009 8:30 AM

You should times in for the How To Build a Bike series that tells you what section is at what time.

Such as: Part 1 - 3:45-4:50 - Forks

(not actual timing, just an example)

"Oh You Mad Cuz I'm Stylin On You?"

12/3/2009 4:27 PM

what crank puller works from demo medial 2.0 (48 spline, 19mm)?

Burn Lexington
Scarlett O'Hara

BIKE CHECK!
SECOND BIKE CHECK!
REFs....
blake el gingero, bsticks, bmx24, irideafly(x2), bigbarsbeard, hcpmicheal(x2), carjakester, 3514eclat, iridebikes07, throwafit, lee_rager, bwenger, aw1234512, kwescottbmx, ecuadevil, ScramHype, dakiddjai93, Spikes5(x3), ultrablade, BEASTASSDICK(x2)

12/3/2009 5:36 PM

Tommyboy wrote: what crank puller works from demo medial 2.0 (48 spline, 19mm)?

the same one as the profile one

12/3/2009 6:03 PM

do you know if part tools makes one that works?

Burn Lexington
Scarlett O'Hara

BIKE CHECK!
SECOND BIKE CHECK!
REFs....
blake el gingero, bsticks, bmx24, irideafly(x2), bigbarsbeard, hcpmicheal(x2), carjakester, 3514eclat, iridebikes07, throwafit, lee_rager, bwenger, aw1234512, kwescottbmx, ecuadevil, ScramHype, dakiddjai93, Spikes5(x3), ultrablade, BEASTASSDICK(x2)

12/4/2009 4:15 AM

Tommyboy wrote: do you know if part tools makes one that works?

thye do, but just buy the profile one off of danscomp

I LOVE FLY BIKES

12/4/2009 6:35 AM

alright, thanks

Burn Lexington
Scarlett O'Hara

BIKE CHECK!
SECOND BIKE CHECK!
REFs....

12/4/2009 12:11 PM

Tommyboy wrote: alright, thanks

no problem homes

I LOVE FLY BIKES

12/5/2009 5:50 AM

those lacing vids could come in handy for me

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=100000120996960

""""\___/""""

does this make my signature look fat?

12/5/2009 8:02 AM

why would you even need a crank puller? thats the same useless tool as a pedal wrench

WE RIDE SUNDAYS BITCH

12/5/2009 9:08 AM

Because you don't want to beat on your crank arms with a hammer...

A. It voids the warranty
B. You can dent your cranks and scratch the hell out of them.
C. That's how they're designed to be taken apart.

And on almost all road and mtbs you have to have a crank puller to take cranks off. Not the same style as bmx 48 spline crank removers but there's a reason they created the tool so you should be using it.

2/14/2010 8:16 AM

ridebmxnc wrote: Because you don't want to beat on your crank arms with a hammer...

A. It voids the warranty
B. You can dent your cranks and scratch the hell out of them.
C. That's how they're designed to be taken apart.

And on almost all road and mtbs you have to have a crank puller to take cranks off. Not the same style as bmx 48 spline crank removers but there's a reason they created the tool so you should be using it.

exactly. crank pullers should be a tool that everyone should have.especially if you have a 48 spline crank system. if you have cranks with a pinch bolt, you dont need the crank puller as much or at all

I LOVE FLY BIKES

2/14/2010 4:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2010 4:08 PM

i added an update to the wheel building section

2/14/2010 6:25 PM

ridebmxnc wrote: i added an update to the wheel building section

very good addition

I LOVE FLY BIKES

7/12/2010 9:29 PM

yah those were good vids i'd like to see more to

7/12/2010 9:31 PM

i'd like to add a request on putting pettles on because when i put them in they cross thread, and i would also like to do it myself instead of my friend

7/22/2010 8:07 AM

sikracing17 wrote: i'd like to add a request on putting pettles on because when i put them in they cross thread, and i would also like to do it myself instead of my friend

no.
especially since you cant spell pedals correctly

I LOVE FLY BIKES

12/28/2010 9:56 AM

GET SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT

GT BMX forever fuck you haters!

4/2/2011 4:09 PM

does anyone know how to change bearings on a front hub?

8/13/2011 11:48 AM

Does anyone know how to fix sqeaky brakes?

8/15/2011 1:03 PM

Tommyboy wrote: alright, thanks

alexnjbmx wrote: no problem homes

what fly parts do you have? i just got the new tierra 4 and im looking at their rims and hubs.. know if their any good?

keep on riding

8/20/2011 4:36 PM

Sadie wrote: Does anyone know how to fix sqeaky brakes?

Boldly going nowhere.

BIKE CHECK.

10/8/2011 10:40 PM

Sadie wrote: Does anyone know how to fix sqeaky brakes?

NOGOODNAME wrote: ...

Set your brake pads at a slight angle so that the front edge hits the rim before the back edge. (just slightly) that should fix your problem and not effect your stop ability.

3/1/2012 10:25 AM

hello, im a starter in bmx and i would like to buy a new stem for my bike which is a 2011 wethepeople arcade completely stock, the current stem is a Salt alloy front loading, my fork is a Hi-ten steel fork, 1pc bulged cromo steerer and the Handlebar 1020 Hi-Ten steel, 7.75 inch and i would like to buy the shadow conspiracy strike TL stem and i dont knowif it will fit and how to meassure it. If the shadow conspiracy stem doesnt fit could you please recomend me other good and if possible yellow stems that would fit
thak you for your time

3/20/2012 6:12 PM

send your bike my way along with 50 bucks and ill make it dialed as fuck!

~O-ville Biker~
I ride Eastern, Get over it!

3/20/2012 6:14 PM

angel.marco99 wrote: hello, im a starter in bmx and i would like to buy a new stem for my bike which is a 2011 wethepeople arcade completely stock, the current stem is a Salt alloy front loading, my fork is a Hi-ten steel fork, 1pc bulged cromo steerer and the Handlebar 1020 Hi-Ten steel, 7.75 inch and i would like to buy the shadow conspiracy strike TL stem and i dont knowif it will fit and how to meassure it. If the shadow conspiracy stem doesnt fit could you please recomend me other good and if possible yellow stems that would fit
thak you for your time

measure the stack height. or just buy some spacers to be safe

~O-ville Biker~
I ride Eastern, Get over it!

Post a Reply to: HOW TO FIX YOUR BIKE

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm