4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

How to extend my rear-axle? (drive-side; pics in-thread)

6/26/2014 11:08 AM

So I just got a set of pegs that need more clearance than my axles currently had. I had no trouble adjusting the front-axle to accomodate its peg, but for the rear I cannot get this thing loose... I haven't worked w/ a 9t driver in a bit, and am just stuck right now. I *was* able to easily adjust the rear's non-drive side axle, but not the driver's side which is where I need to lengthen!
Here's some pics of the drive side, and the non-drive side:

Sorry for the potato quality pics, I can take more if it would help but my understanding is this is the 'commonest' axle type (it's the stock hub from a United Supreme that has Cinema rim, unsure if the hub is cinema or just a generic United part)

6/27/2014 5:38 PM

is it sealed? if so then you cant move the axle farther to one side. being that its a cassette i doubt your gonna be able to do that anyway

I'm on the vital legit list!
#teamtam
Don't Sweat The Streets

6/27/2014 7:29 PM

it's a sealed cassette, yes. Actually, this was surprising to me so i posted here and then went to my lbs, and they came to same conclusion as me: WTF?
we took it all apart w/ chain whip but it's a 14mm axle, according to United's site (t's a mostly-stock United 'supreme'), but when we got it apart there wasn't a single axle, there was a smaller axle (10mm-ish) and 2both of the visible axles were female to it), and it was mated to the driver-side's cog, so ended up saying 'fukit' and putting the peg on anyways.. haven't done much but has held suup lol, but i'm light.. but yeah i've never seen a 3p axle like this and neither has my lbm.. it is standard United generic from a 2012 United Supreme, but it's really unique setup...

6/27/2014 8:46 PM

adfkje wrote: it's a sealed cassette, yes. Actually, this was surprising to me so i posted here and then went to my lbs, and they came to same conclusion as me: WTF?
we took it all apart w/ chain whip but it's a 14mm axle, according to United's site (t's a mostly-stock United 'supreme'), but when we got it apart there wasn't a single axle, there was a smaller axle (10mm-ish) and 2both of the visible axles were female to it), and it was mated to the driver-side's cog, so ended up saying 'fukit' and putting the peg on anyways.. haven't done much but has held suup lol, but i'm light.. but yeah i've never seen a 3p axle like this and neither has my lbm.. it is standard United generic from a 2012 United Supreme, but it's really unique setup...

your local bike shop has never seen a female axle? buddy you desperately need to find a new bike shop

I'm on the vital legit list!
#teamtam
Don't Sweat The Streets

Post a Reply to: How to extend my rear-axle? (drive-side; pics in-thread)

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm