4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

**Official rawing/painting thread!!**

4/8/2010 6:24 PM

So people will stop posting the same damn questions over and over about rawing and/or painting frames and parts. I've rawed and painted ALOT of frames and parts, so I'll help anyone out as much as possible with tip on how to get it done right at home. If I left anything out, please feel free to add. And mods, sticky this!

Best options:

1: Aircraft Remover! Aka airplane grade chemical paint stripper. Comes as a gel, wipe it on with a rag, leave it on til the paint is completely bubbled, about 20-30 minutes, then wipe it off with a few different rags and all the paint will be completely gone. But WEAR GLOVES! This crap burns like hell for a while when it touches your skin. And try not to breathe it in either.

2: Clean the frame or parts VERY thoroughly with paint thinner or alcohol. Cuz if ANY dirt or oil from your fingerprints or remover is left on there, it will mess up the paint before it even goes on.

3: Next, use masking tape to tape off the inside of your headtube and bottom bracket. That way no paint gets in, possibly messing up the way that bearing rest in them, plus it makes it easier to get the paint right up to the edge of the bearing, making it look more like the frame came that way.

4: Pretty much any kind of paint. I mostly use the cheap Wal Mart 99cent cans. They don't have a very wide selection for colors, but you can get really good results if you know what you're doing.

5: Be sure to actually give yourself space to work. Aka, hang your parts/frame from the roof of your garage or where ever for best results, that way you have 360 degrees of room to work and won't have to touch anything, possibly messing it up. This is what I do and it helps ALOT.

6: Lay down a couple base coats. Try to stay between 8 and 12 inches from whatever you're painting. That way it covers it, but doesn't get such a heavy coat over it that it starts to drip. Cuz once a drip starts, you can't stop it and it will completely ruin a paintjob. Once you've left it to dry for a long time(hours, not minutes), sand the entire thing lightly with a very fine sandpaper. This way when you start laying down actual coats, the paint won't flake off the first time you or something hits it, and will make your paintjob last ALOT longer than just quick spraying it. And spray paint is particles of air and paint, so try to do this in your garage or somewhere where there's absolutly no wind blowing for obvious reasons. Now wipe everything off with a CLEAN rag so there's no sanding dust, cuz dust will once again screw everything up.

7: Now start laying down actual color coats. Once again staying a reasonable distance to avoid drips. Spray 2 or 3 light coats(or more if you'd like), about an hour or two apart, then apply 2 coats(or more if you'd like) of a spray clear coat, once again waiting in between coats. Then when you're done, leave the parts or frame to hang for about 48 hours. I know it's hard to wait, but if you don't, the first time you hit the frame, the paint will get destroyed and all of this will have been a waste of time.

8: Once drying time is over, take your parts or frame down and throw everything back together, but be carful, cuz your paintjob is still fragile at this point. Just be careful not to hit it within the next couple days and you'll be good.

Refs: Scramhype, Russellonabike, Dee Hos, Lbonbi, Pcoco, Raz, Bug31, Wallywangois2hip, Paul Hutchison

4/8/2010 6:28 PM

great job dude

REFS LIST IN PROFILE

Ressler711 is the definition of "chill rider."
I'm fundyssey23 and I approve this message.

"In the streets."

4/8/2010 6:30 PM

█▄█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀ █▀
█▀█ █▄█ █▀▀ █▄█ █▀ █▀

ref-spikez5

4/8/2010 6:30 PM

definatley deserves a stickey.

im alex, and i like to ride my bike.
MOTW 5/24/2010 - 5/30/2010.
BOTM february 2011.

4/8/2010 6:31 PM

vanillseatbmx wrote: definatley deserves a stickey.

^^^

REFS LIST IN PROFILE

Ressler711 is the definition of "chill rider."
I'm fundyssey23 and I approve this message.

"In the streets."

4/8/2010 6:32 PM

deff copied from like how to.com or something

[b]Refs: Jrage , ibmxi , ThrowAfit , Spikez5 , Harry95 , Fundyssey23 (x2), primo23 , garyg5g123 , ftkallday , tyler_rides! , Traviswooten727 ,

4/8/2010 6:38 PM

Adding to the how to section.

4/8/2010 7:08 PM

Nope, actually this wasn't copied. I've been sitting here for an hour thinking of all the processes I use to paint my frames and parts. Hand to God, it's not copied. I was just tired of coming on everyday and seeing at least 2 new threads about "How do I raw my frame or parts?". Reposting threads wastes our server space and slows Vital down and makes it crash and whatnot, so I'm just trying to help everyone out.

Refs: Scramhype, Russellonabike, Dee Hos, Lbonbi, Pcoco, Raz, Bug31, Wallywangois2hip, Paul Hutchison

4/9/2010 12:12 AM

sunday color. wrote:

i l0ld... hardcore...

Easternbiker93 wrote: And Jesus said "Thou shall not find humorous people, but only sarcastic ass hats on Vital"
JustRideBMX wrote: I can't ride high. All I wanna do is ball up and cuddle with everything.

4/9/2010 7:08 PM

bmxrider1439 wrote: i l0ld... hardcore...

Same here. Wasn't copied, but it was funny as hell. Hahaha

5/26/2010 3:32 PM

I want to paint my bars and forks, but I don't know how to hang my bars up to paint them.

With my forks, i'm going to tape off the steerer tube, then tie a string to the steerer tub so i can paint them.

With my bars, I don't know what to do, because if i tie a string somewhere on them, paint won't get on that spot.

Can anyone help me out?

5/28/2010 11:03 AM

Dude you should put a video on how to paint.

iRODE2day

REFS: iridefly future FBM harof2

6/1/2010 10:22 PM

could u bake the paint off in ur oven?

6/1/2010 10:26 PM

-Havok- wrote: So people will stop posting the same damn questions over and over about rawing and/or painting frames and parts. I've rawed and painted ALOT of frames and parts, so I'll help anyone out as much as possible with tip on how to get it done right at home. If I left anything out, please feel free to add. And mods, sticky this!

Best options:

1: Aircraft Remover! Aka airplane grade chemical paint stripper. Comes as a gel, wipe it on with a rag, leave it on til the paint is completely bubbled, about 20-30 minutes, then wipe it off with a few different rags and all the paint will be completely gone. But WEAR GLOVES! This crap burns like hell for a while when it touches your skin. And try not to breathe it in either.

2: Clean the frame or parts VERY thoroughly with paint thinner or alcohol. Cuz if ANY dirt or oil from your fingerprints or remover is left on there, it will mess up the paint before it even goes on.

3: Next, use masking tape to tape off the inside of your headtube and bottom bracket. That way no paint gets in, possibly messing up the way that bearing rest in them, plus it makes it easier to get the paint right up to the edge of the bearing, making it look more like the frame came that way.

4: Pretty much any kind of paint. I mostly use the cheap Wal Mart 99cent cans. They don't have a very wide selection for colors, but you can get really good results if you know what you're doing.

5: Be sure to actually give yourself space to work. Aka, hang your parts/frame from the roof of your garage or where ever for best results, that way you have 360 degrees of room to work and won't have to touch anything, possibly messing it up. This is what I do and it helps ALOT.

6: Lay down a couple base coats. Try to stay between 8 and 12 inches from whatever you're painting. That way it covers it, but doesn't get such a heavy coat over it that it starts to drip. Cuz once a drip starts, you can't stop it and it will completely ruin a paintjob. Once you've left it to dry for a long time(hours, not minutes), sand the entire thing lightly with a very fine sandpaper. This way when you start laying down actual coats, the paint won't flake off the first time you or something hits it, and will make your paintjob last ALOT longer than just quick spraying it. And spray paint is particles of air and paint, so try to do this in your garage or somewhere where there's absolutly no wind blowing for obvious reasons. Now wipe everything off with a CLEAN rag so there's no sanding dust, cuz dust will once again screw everything up.

7: Now start laying down actual color coats. Once again staying a reasonable distance to avoid drips. Spray 2 or 3 light coats(or more if you'd like), about an hour or two apart, then apply 2 coats(or more if you'd like) of a spray clear coat, once again waiting in between coats. Then when you're done, leave the parts or frame to hang for about 48 hours. I know it's hard to wait, but if you don't, the first time you hit the frame, the paint will get destroyed and all of this will have been a waste of time.

8: Once drying time is over, take your parts or frame down and throw everything back together, but be carful, cuz your paintjob is still fragile at this point. Just be careful not to hit it within the next couple days and you'll be good.

easier way just spray paint all together

refs:spikez-mikelee-ScramHype-CGcaps-Droogskull-Blake El Gingero-hcpmichael

6/2/2010 9:40 AM

LorenzoGallegos wrote: I want to paint my bars and forks, but I don't know how to hang my bars up to paint them.

With my forks, i'm going to tape off the steerer tube, then tie a string to the steerer tub so i can paint them.

With my bars, I don't know what to do, because if i tie a string somewhere on them, paint won't get on that spot.

Can anyone help me out?

just hold the bars ware the grips go and don't paint that part your grips gonna cover it any way so who cares

just go faster

6/4/2010 10:09 AM

tape off every spoke about 2 inches from the rim and aim good

just go faster

7/2/2010 4:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2010 4:49 PM

That was very detailed thanks bro!

7/4/2010 11:36 PM

does the paint removing gel eat any plastic or metal

7/7/2010 8:55 PM

-Havok- wrote: Nope, actually this wasn't copied. I've been sitting here for an hour thinking of all the processes I use to paint my frames and parts. Hand to God, it's not copied. I was just tired of coming on everyday and seeing at least 2 new threads about "How do I raw my frame or parts?". Reposting threads wastes our server space and slows Vital down and makes it crash and whatnot, so I'm just trying to help everyone out.

dude i ve painted my bike over 20 times lol but me new paint is staying for awhile its zibra print it took 3 days ill have pics o my profile in a day or two

7/21/2010 7:11 PM

how long should the base coats dry?

Waaaaa!!! Soo rucky!!!!

Repping the ratchet

Ninjas are born from strict asian parents because we have to do things sneaky - Kingshawty12

"fuckin dumb. damn stupid ass fuckin" - plasticisnotanoption

7/21/2010 7:12 PM

how long should the base coats dry?

Waaaaa!!! Soo rucky!!!!

Repping the ratchet

Ninjas are born from strict asian parents because we have to do things sneaky - Kingshawty12

7/21/2010 7:14 PM

woops, internet got funky

Waaaaa!!! Soo rucky!!!!

Repping the ratchet

7/28/2010 10:38 PM

BlessedReport wrote: how long should the base coats dry?

Flat colors: at least an hour
Gloss: at least 3 hours

I use rust-oleum 2x cover cans. They work very well.

instagram @strictlyart
Get a life, ride a bike.

7/28/2010 10:39 PM

profile101 wrote: does the paint removing gel eat any plastic or metal

No.

instagram @strictlyart
Get a life, ride a bike.

8/6/2010 12:22 AM

LorenzoGallegos wrote: I want to paint my bars and forks, but I don't know how to hang my bars up to paint them.

Can anyone help me out?

mask off the kurled part of the bars n tie to that hang em up side down n when finished drying cut em down n lean them against two old paint cans n get the top. or use like 4 cans a pop. tape cans together n lean em on that

Every one Knows the POSE

8/6/2010 12:22 AM

Can anyone help me out?

mask off the kurled part of the bars n tie to that hang em up side down n when finished drying cut em down n lean them against two old paint cans n get the top. or use like 4 cans a pop. tape cans together n lean em on that

Every one Knows the POSE

8/6/2010 12:23 AM

Can anyone help me out?

Every one Knows the POSE

8/21/2010 11:07 AM

To raw a frame I guess I just follow the first step? When finished do you need to laquer the frame to make it waterproof or do I not need to?

8/27/2010 9:50 PM

could you do this with a stem?

iBIKE

8/29/2010 2:08 AM

Almost all stems are anodized, so no.

instagram @strictlyart
Get a life, ride a bike.

Post a Reply to: **Official rawing/painting thread!!**

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm