4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

***The OFFICIAL Trails Tutorial Thread***

11/30/2009 4:17 PM

This isnt all of what i originally posted, but i'll try and get the rest of it rewritten in the next couple of days.

Things you will need:
spade shovels
flat head shovels
3-5 gl. buckets
pesticide sprayers
pick axes
axes
bow saw
wheelbarrows

Tips on building:

Don't cut down trees to make your lines. Choose an approiate spot in the woods large enough to build jumps in the first place.

Plan for the future. As you get better you will want to make them bigger. It's a simple process of making a jump bigger; just takes hard work.

Use logs and such to make the base's of your lips and landers, it will save you a shit ton of time in the long run digging.

Get rid of any rocks in your jumps, they'll hurt if you don't.

Dig drainage out of your pits, so you can be right back to riding after it rains.

Spray your lips down with water before every session to keep them well packed.

Dig before you ride every session so they stay maintained.

If you have acess to a blow torch use it on the lips to avoid cracking.

Build the lips next to the trees so they have a solid base and that way your not chopping up all the roots and killing the tree and causing the soil to erode easier.
Start small, a beginner doesnt need anything bigger than 4 ft tall and 10ft long to learn on.

Make sure you have enough of a runway before the first jump, not just for the one your building now, but for your eventual monstorous doubles.

Once you do build some huge lines, build a couple of little beginner doubles or tables for unexperienced riders to learn on so they can eventually be another set of hands to help dig.

10 DIRT JUMP COMMANDMENTS !!!
Some basic guidelines for public dirt jumps. Maybe you'll find these helpful. Maybe you won't. Very few people know any of this. Remind your fellow rider so next time he can't say he didn't know. Feel free to cut/paste/adjust/repost... SPREAD THE WORD !!!

1. If you enjoy riding your local dirt jumps, then CONTRIBUTE. Give something back. Don't just show up, tear it up, and split. Repairing your own damage is MANDATORY. If you mess it up, FIX it. If you take a chunk out of a landing, FIX it. (If you don't know how, ask).

2. DON'T LITTER !!! This is only one of many ways dirt jumps get torn down. Don't bury it. Use a trash can. Trash looks horrible.

3. DIGGING means to dig new dirt and maintain the trails. It does not mean "re-shaping" things you don't like or "don't flow" for you. Lip shapes and transitions are the privilege of the builders. If the builders like steep lips/landings, that's how it is.

4. If you show up to a spot while people are digging, then you dig BEFORE riding. This applies to everyone. If you show up and the Diggers aren't there, then you can water the jumps before riding, that's it. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.

5. MAINTENANCE is watering, sweeping, picking up trash, raking, packing, etc. (Sweeping dust off dry jumps is not as good as actually watering it, which will settle the dust and re-pack it when ridden).

6. Riding is done AFTER you have demonstrated appropriate willingness to contribute to the trails.

7. DON'T ride when it's muddy. It tears the jumps up, and pointless anyway. Be patient. DON'T create more work for everybody.

8. ABSOLUTELY NO motorized vehicles of any kind. No 50's mini bikes, quads, dirt-bikes, RC cars, etc.

9. Dirt Jumps are NOT a playground, and little kids should NOT be running up and down lips/landings like they're at a McDonald's Play Palace.

10. BE RESPECTFUL-Can't be said enough. Be respectful to the builders, neighbors, other riders, and the Earth. If you're respectful, you won't get disrespected. Period. Don't be a loud, littering, selfish guy with an attitude. Thanks.

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

11/30/2009 4:19 PM

Good to see this back up and running.

"Oh You Mad Cuz I'm Stylin On You?"

11/30/2009 4:54 PM

Very good info.

Thanks!

12/1/2009 1:03 AM

THANK YOU!!!!

... No HoMo ...

*MuHa!!*

I ride to live!
For the street niggas livin with they lives on the line
For young guns comin up durin these times
For police who find drugs let niggas slide
For niggas out slingin like 4 in the night

12/2/2009 6:25 AM

Trails...

12/3/2009 7:04 AM

trails is talking in a louder than normal voice commonly called SHOUTIN

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

12/4/2009 6:35 AM

cupovjoe wrote: trails is talking in a louder than normal voice commonly called SHOUTIN

Yeah but streets wont shut up.

2/17/2010 7:30 AM

couldn't have said it any better. Thanks

REFS: Drnwag irideafly sunday.bmx21 8=D xlilkillaluc15x Dennis916 Blake El Gingero mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com netty speghetti kr00253 bstick Dudeisdrumer109

pcoco ticaleb

3/4/2010 11:42 AM

Really helpful. Thank you

PSN - TheNunPoacher

3/10/2010 4:12 PM

i love trails

steazy

4/6/2010 7:37 AM

ewww... dont use filler.. it just creates more work/ hassle when it comes time to move lips/ take out jumps.

Easternbiker93 wrote: And Jesus said "Thou shall not find humorous people, but only sarcastic ass hats on Vital"
JustRideBMX wrote: I can't ride high. All I wanna do is ball up and cuddle with everything.

6/4/2010 1:04 AM

man,trails are the best,
thats some real good advice.

Oh hai.
My bicycle.
Member of the week 08/16/10 - 08/22/10

6/26/2010 9:00 PM

i got a q,kinda stoopid but its one.
if ther isnt many guys willin to make a trail shuld i just do it ne way?like itd be borin if i ever did finish them cuz no one wuld ride them tht or itd be unfair if they did and i did al the work.shuld i do it ne ways?tht n thers no trails ne wer around me.

b.y.o.b < b.y.o. pb&j
E-thug=E-tard

7/27/2010 8:50 AM

rule number 8 is what no1 understood at my cousins trails they really suck now

i cracked my b-rad therefor i am a cool kitty cat!
facebook

my baby deliyla

9/29/2010 3:20 PM

I need to know like EXACTLY what i need to do. and i need to find a good place to build so what should i look for?

vital's redneck

9/29/2010 3:23 PM

BLRBMX wrote: I need to know like EXACTLY what i need to do. and i need to find a good place to build so what should i look for?

dirt

9/29/2010 3:27 PM

NEVER use logs in your jumps or landings, they will rot out and always move around so your jump never packs right, a old trail dawg told me the L in log stands for Lazy

9/29/2010 3:28 PM

BLRBMX wrote: I need to know like EXACTLY what i need to do. and i need to find a good place to build so what should i look for?

lexbmx23 wrote: dirt

shut up lex

vital's redneck

9/29/2010 3:29 PM

BLRBMX wrote: shut up lex

my bad brown dirt

9/29/2010 3:39 PM

BLRBMX wrote: shut up lex

lexbmx23 wrote: my bad brown dirt

thanks

vital's redneck

12/14/2010 12:21 AM

I have a slave that does my digging for me.Does this count?

1/22/2011 9:17 AM

good etiquette guys.

2/8/2011 9:46 AM

I was wondering what the pesticide sprayers were for in the supplies list.

Live To Ride, Ride To Live

2/10/2011 2:52 PM

i wanna build trails even tho' no fagget will help me, but i can't find a good damn spot ):

jarrod

2/20/2011 1:29 AM

thats a live saver

2/23/2011 1:44 PM

i cant ride trails i have only rdin vert can any body help me

wait whats a bubble

4/6/2011 11:34 AM

you should ad no dogs running all over the place. that always pisses me off.

also, what can i do to keep nice vertical lips. no matter amount of shaping and packing i do, they eventually wear into a shitty kicker lip. im about to get some quckcrete and go crazy with it cause im sick of always fixing em. any tips for fat lips?

IN NOMINE SATANUS

4/6/2011 11:36 AM

collinbikesalot wrote: rule number 8 is what no1 understood at my cousins trails they really suck now

dogs should go in rule number 8.

IN NOMINE SATANUS

4/7/2011 6:26 PM

i truely find this great i wish that people were i live followed theses our local jumps got torn down twice befor due to trash and little kids diging into the lips and inturn others getting majorly hurt

6/8/2011 9:17 PM

ihatepurplebikes wrote: you should ad no dogs running all over the place. that always pisses me off.

also, what can i do to keep nice vertical lips. no matter amount of shaping and packing i do, they eventually wear into a shitty kicker lip. im about to get some quckcrete and go crazy with it cause im sick of always fixing em. any tips for fat lips?

well i found out it helps if you take all that good dirt or dig a pit and add some old oil not to old but decently old (witch you can get at a shop that changes oil they will be happy to give it to you only if you say its for your yard) and that makes it nice and moist so you wont have to water it every time only maybe re-shape once a month
Post a Reply to: ***The OFFICIAL Trails Tutorial Thread***

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm