4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Brake or not to brake?

2/9/2012 9:52 PM

Is there anybody else that has a love hate relationship with brakes? Like you kinda want 'em but you've gotten so used to not having them, it'd just be weird having that extra thing on your bars? No more cleanliness look, scraggly cables stickin' out of random ass places

2/15/2012 2:42 PM

Brake. You can always brake out of a trick you might now want to do etc.

2/17/2012 8:00 PM

I recently added front brakes to my baby. I think she looks way better with them!

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

2/23/2012 2:53 PM

Brakes all the way! Can't stand brakeless and the, "Oh shit, can't stop!"

2/25/2012 8:36 AM

no brakes i genuinley think brakeless kind of makes you not puss out of big shit you want to try its like commit or die

2/26/2012 6:54 PM

No brakes, because my frame has no mounts and I'm a lazy ass that doesn't like to maintain them. I ran them on my old race bike because I had to. It's not like I ever used them during a race. Hit the brakes and LOOSE!!!! Besides, like trailrider27 said (Dustin), it's a commitment thing.

2/28/2012 8:26 PM

I agree, if you have brakes, you just second guess everything, versus brakeless, I go for everything, you kinda learn to control speed and everything without 'em

3/12/2012 12:48 PM

Tyler_Wilen wrote: I agree, if you have brakes, you just second guess everything, versus brakeless, I go for everything, you kinda learn to control speed and everything without 'em

I disagree with this 100%.

You can just NOT use them. The "puss out" excuse is invalid. You can do the same without brakes, you just ruin shoes.

Not to mention, people with brakes don't second guess everything. That is a very generalized statement with little merit. YOU personally might second guess yourself, but to imply everyone does is just ridiculous.

Plus having brakes enables you to change your speed MUCH easier last second while still being set up for whatever you are going to try.

Keep in mind before you try to say I am an idiot or whatever insult you will throw my way, I have seen and run just about every setup possible, AND I have been riding longer than most kids on this site have been out of diapers.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

5/17/2012 6:40 AM

trailrider27 wrote: no brakes i genuinley think brakeless kind of makes you not puss out of big shit you want to try its like commit or die

word.

no breaks at all. trailrider27 has it right commit or die.

6/1/2012 5:07 AM

trailrider27 wrote: no brakes i genuinley think brakeless kind of makes you not puss out of big shit you want to try its like commit or die

jullian.munster wrote: word.

no breaks at all. trailrider27 has it right commit or die.

Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, you guys that think brakeless somehow empowers you and makes you suddenly have a different mindset to do bigger things are morons. Taking your brakes off empowers you about as much as smoking weed makes you not hungry.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

6/1/2012 6:51 AM

trailrider27 wrote: no brakes i genuinley think brakeless kind of makes you not puss out of big shit you want to try its like commit or die

jullian.munster wrote: word.

no breaks at all. trailrider27 has it right commit or die.

dave lawrence wrote: Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, you guys that think brakeless somehow empowers you and makes you suddenly have a different mindset to do bigger things are morons. Taking your brakes off empowers you about as much as smoking weed makes you not hungry.

We might as well let them enjoy their 2oz off their bike's so they can bunny hop a foot higher to clear that 70mph jump over...el toro.

The winners guide to tricks: Tuck-it, huck-it, or fuck-it!

My music:http://fxaudiorage.bandcamp.com/

6/7/2012 5:44 PM

i like brakeless... i just learned learned barspins today and i dont want a cable getting in my way

BMX TIL DEATH!!!!!
(just cuz i wear skinny jeans doesnt mean im emo)

6/11/2012 7:28 AM

Parker_DeWitt wrote: i like brakeless... i just learned learned barspins today and i dont want a cable getting in my way

Gyro. Boom. No cable tangle.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

6/13/2012 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2012 7:01 AM

The Biker Boy wrote: Brake. You can always brake out of a trick you might now want to do etc.

Then you just pussy out that way. Brakeless then you cant pussy out! or just do a set up that you can quickly remover your brakes and then if you wanna switch you can, like ride street brakeless and then go ride park with brakes. actually fuck the pussing out shit because i got friends that ride breaks and shed but brakes squeal and its damn annoying
so make sure you adjust you pads and shit right so your not a squealer

"Brakless bikes are like shirtless women, just a whole lot better"

6/15/2012 6:02 PM

i rode brakes for a while but enjoy riding brakeless theres many tricks you can do with and then others with out, i see it as what your riding style is.

boom!

shane ''''''\___/'''''''

mid-michigan

7/16/2012 7:01 PM

Well, it wont matter anymore if I have brakes or not, I cracked my frame pretty good

8/15/2012 8:20 PM

I rode brakeless for half the time I've been riding bmx. I rode everything from park, quarters, bowls, trails, sketchy a$$ street. Almost anything. I put brakes on my bike this year, and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. the "puss out" factor everyone seems to be saying doesn't apply IMO. I ride brakes on my setup now, want to get a gyro cause cable clatter is an issue when I do tire grabs. I boost out of quarters and shoot pockets bigger and faster than most of the kids at the skate park.

You're right Dave, "ignorance is bliss".

You gonna do a full-blown t-bag over the bowl gap?

8/16/2012 9:26 AM

jullian.munster wrote: word.

no breaks at all. trailrider27 has it right commit or die.

dave lawrence wrote: Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, you guys that think brakeless somehow empowers you and makes you suddenly have a different mindset to do bigger things are morons. Taking your brakes off empowers you about as much as smoking weed makes you not hungry.

FXAudioRage wrote: We might as well let them enjoy their 2oz off their bike's so they can bunny hop a foot higher to clear that 70mph jump over...el toro.

So I am a moron for thinking brakeless helps me go for shit? That is an ignorant thing to say, people ride the setup they like insulting them for that just shows you probably can't ride and are a punk ass kid that follows bmx trends

8/24/2012 5:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2012 5:57 AM

dave lawrence wrote: Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, you guys that think brakeless somehow empowers you and makes you suddenly have a different mindset to do bigger things are morons. Taking your brakes off empowers you about as much as smoking weed makes you not hungry.

FXAudioRage wrote: We might as well let them enjoy their 2oz off their bike's so they can bunny hop a foot higher to clear that 70mph jump over...el toro.

trailrider27 wrote: So I am a moron for thinking brakeless helps me go for shit? That is an ignorant thing to say, people ride the setup they like insulting them for that just shows you probably can't ride and are a punk ass kid that follows bmx trends

First, I don't follow trends. My seat post is visible, I run brakes 85% of the time with a gyro, and set my bike up my way-no massive bars or top load stem etc. I don't wear skinny jeans, run no more than 2 pegs at a time, don't have long hair, don't wear a beanie when it is over 40 degrees, and I think Dubstep and "music" like that is shitty. I have been riding for 13 years, and run every setup over the years, brakes, no brakes, freecoaster, only front brake, only rear brake, straight cable, gyro, name it, I have probably had it set up on my ride. Saying that I "probably can't ride, and are a punk ass kid that follows trends" is purely based on the same ignorance you claimed I have.

Second, you generalized and said brakes make everyone puss out.-"no brakes i genuinley think brakeless kind of makes you not puss out of big shit you want to try its like commit or die" which is a very loaded and ignorant statement, GENERALIZING everyone into that category. Irony is the photo you have for your profile has brakes on the setup.

Maybe YOU think YOU are empowered, but you shouldn't tell people that it will make them not "puss out". Too many little kids hear shit like that, take their brakes off, and slam into things because they can't stop due to some "older guy" saying it is macho and would somehow make them instantly a better rider.

Oh and if you use "probably" to insult someone, you look like you have no confidence in your insult, making you appear foolish.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

11/7/2012 9:33 AM

Parker_DeWitt wrote: i like brakeless... i just learned learned barspins today and i dont want a cable getting in my way

dave lawrence wrote: Gyro. Boom. No cable tangle.

not in a douchebag way but a gyro setup is like close to 200$ for a good one

11/9/2012 11:55 AM

I ride brakeless... not by choice, but i like it... I will never run a straight cable... gyro only... cant afford a good setup right now... so brakeless it is. I do also feel a little more committed without brakes, but it doesn't affect everyone like that. I like my shoes, and like stopping... brakes are great. I do also agree that the genealization causes kids to get hurt, because one rider at my local park told a new rider to take his brakes off, and he started running into everything. I prefer the extra few ounces on my bike, because i like stopping.

New refs: dgoulet1995, Mike - E
Resolving issues one by one

11/12/2012 7:12 AM

Parker_DeWitt wrote: i like brakeless... i just learned learned barspins today and i dont want a cable getting in my way

dave lawrence wrote: Gyro. Boom. No cable tangle.

Pawel1bmx wrote: not in a douchebag way but a gyro setup is like close to 200$ for a good one

No, you can get a full setup for under 100 bucks. What gyro are you looking into?

SST Oryg dual lower cables are under 10 bucks (Snafu Astroglides are really good and like 13 if you go higher end), london mod is like 6, Odyssey M2 lever and dual upper cable is like 22, Snafu Gyro is like 20 or so, and you can get an Odyssey brake for like 30. Right there you are at about 88 bucks. Gyro tabs might run ya 5 bucks, so 93.

Under 100 for a full setup. You could throw in some clear pads for another 13 bucks or so, THEN you clear 100. Plus you can fin a lot of stuff on ebay for cheap, work out a deal with a local shop (many will barter some) and you could use coupon codes.


I have no idea where 200 comes from, unless you get an 80 dollar brake and have a shop install it that charges too much.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

11/14/2012 9:22 AM

dave lawrence wrote: Gyro. Boom. No cable tangle.

Pawel1bmx wrote: not in a douchebag way but a gyro setup is like close to 200$ for a good one

dave lawrence wrote: No, you can get a full setup for under 100 bucks. What gyro are you looking into?

SST Oryg dual lower cables are under 10 bucks (Snafu Astroglides are really good and like 13 if you go higher end), london mod is like 6, Odyssey M2 lever and dual upper cable is like 22, Snafu Gyro is like 20 or so, and you can get an Odyssey brake for like 30. Right there you are at about 88 bucks. Gyro tabs might run ya 5 bucks, so 93.

Under 100 for a full setup. You could throw in some clear pads for another 13 bucks or so, THEN you clear 100. Plus you can fin a lot of stuff on ebay for cheap, work out a deal with a local shop (many will barter some) and you could use coupon codes.


I have no idea where 200 comes from, unless you get an 80 dollar brake and have a shop install it that charges too much.

this

New refs: dgoulet1995, Mike - E
Resolving issues one by one

11/19/2012 1:52 PM

ive run brakes and gone brakeless. I like both. They both help u in different ways. Its all personal opinion if u ride them or not but dont bag on each other cause theres ups and downs on both sides.

12/17/2012 6:06 PM

Brakeless. Kept catching my finger on the brake lever while throwing the bars. I prefer to ride street anyways....... If i rode park or trails I would prob run a brake. BUT as far as the "puss out" argument is concerned, when I did have a brake on my DJ I would tap it on my approach to a jump. I personally do not like trails or park so maybe it was just me tensing up........ so what trailrider27 said does apply to me and I'm sure others.
Post a Reply to: Brake or not to brake?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm