4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

BMX=Freestlye????

3/2/2013 7:08 PM

I'm a noob so forgive my ignorance but I thought maybe some of the OGs here could answer this:

When I was a kid, guys who did BMX were racers and guys who did vert/street/parks etc. were considered freestyle. When did the term BMX just become all inclusive? How are the people who race refered to? Racers? Thanks!

I'm on the edge of glory!

3/3/2013 12:17 AM

i know it was all inclusive when i was a kid so it had to be before the late 90s early 2000s

and now its like everyone rides bmx, but some people will break it down to i ride street, i ride park, i ride trails, i race bmx

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

3/12/2013 10:24 AM

I rode freestyle in the 80s as a kid. I think these days, the lines have just become more and more blurred. Back then, the BMX (racing) bikes and the freestyle bikes were in different sections of the bike shop. And they were spec'd very different as well. Different geometry, frame designs, weight, accessories, etc. You would never race on a freestyle bike, and you couldn't really freestyle (flatland) on a BMX bike unless you just accessorized the hell out of it.

People don't freestyle the way they used to either. Most freestyling back then was flatland tricks. Street riding the way it is now didn't really exist back then. Nobody was riding a bike like a skateboard back then.

The simplicity of now is sort of cool, but sort of boring too.

"Being good gets you stuff. Being stuff gets you good."

3/13/2013 8:04 AM

ticojpunk wrote: I rode freestyle in the 80s as a kid. I think these days, the lines have just become more and more blurred. Back then, the BMX (racing) bikes and the freestyle bikes were in different sections of the bike shop. And they were spec'd very different as well. Different geometry, frame designs, weight, accessories, etc. You would never race on a freestyle bike, and you couldn't really freestyle (flatland) on a BMX bike unless you just accessorized the hell out of it.

People don't freestyle the way they used to either. Most freestyling back then was flatland tricks. Street riding the way it is now didn't really exist back then. Nobody was riding a bike like a skateboard back then.

i thought there was tons of pool riding and ramps back then too

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

3/13/2013 8:43 AM

Not to mention that those bikes were tanks! I like the current technology. The frame geometry and set-ups as a whole feel very familiar to the old and midschool setups I used to ride, and I appreciate that. In many ways, freestyle bikes are less complicated, but with sweet new technology.

As for the terms, I think the word BMX began to be used to more generically distinguish the style of riding/type of bike used. I also remember the trail exclusive guys in the early 90's refer to themselves as freestyle BMXers. I think it just kind of morphed.

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

3/13/2013 9:40 AM

ticojpunk wrote: I rode freestyle in the 80s as a kid. I think these days, the lines have just become more and more blurred. Back then, the BMX (racing) bikes and the freestyle bikes were in different sections of the bike shop. And they were spec'd very different as well. Different geometry, frame designs, weight, accessories, etc. You would never race on a freestyle bike, and you couldn't really freestyle (flatland) on a BMX bike unless you just accessorized the hell out of it.

sketchytravis wrote: i thought there was tons of pool riding and ramps back then too

There was, of course. When I say "most" riding, I mean most kids didn't have access to ramps and pools were a pipe dream (in New York at least). I'm talking very early 80s too. So most of us were watching flatland riders and emulating them. Ramp wasn't an option for us unless you built one. My parents weren't feeling a half pipe in the back yard, nor the cost.

"Being good gets you stuff. Being stuff gets you good."

6/25/2013 10:38 AM

I noticed the change after freestyle motocross went alternative mainstream and they struggled for a shorter term than 'freestyle motocross' on espn. The destinction between freestyle dirtbiking and freestyle biking was hard discuss so for me it was easier just to call biking bmx even tho i never hit a track in my life.

In midschool bike rides you.

Post a Reply to: BMX=Freestlye????

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm