4li2k73z   Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Hutch BMX Comeback?

4/30/2008 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2008 8:13 PM

Hey, guys. This is my first post in the "Old School Talk" Forum. I'm also the newly appointed forum moderator. I will be posting more about myself very soon.

In the meantime, check out this info about the "new" Hutch Hi-Performance BMX. Definitely wanna know how the BMX community, both current-school and old-school feel about this approach.

Check out my thoughts over on my site, BMX Roots, here: BMXRoots.com

Lemme hear your thoughts -reverbtank

4/30/2008 8:13 PM

Here's the press release from John DeBruin, who now owns both the Hutch Hi-Performance and CW brands:

"Hutch Hi-Performance BMX
I am pleased to announce that I have recently acquired full ownership and trademark rights to the company Hutch Hi-Performance BMX, and am able to share preliminary plans for the future.

A brief history about me…

Always been a “Hutch guy� . Bought my pre-serial # in August of 1983, raced/rode until 1987. I enjoy building show-quality bikes today, and am a strong advocate of actually riding them.

In my dad’s younger days, he was a paid diver searching for sunken Spanish ships. Later on and when I was around 10, he wanted to go to the deeper wrecks, and I watched him use engine lathes and other big equipment to build his own submarine. From that point I knew I wanted to make stuff too. My professional career has always been new product development, and because I started at the beginning of the PC age, my strength has been advanced CAD/CAM programming combined with the use of CNC milling machines. Working directly for one of the largest CAD/CAM software companies, I traveled the world training and helping many high-profile companies with advanced machining concepts.

“Alright, so what are your plans?� …

My plans are to introduce new product “re-issues� that are remarkably similar to originals, but having at least 1 feature different than the originals. That 1 feature will fit the criteria that, in order to remove or modify it for the purpose of deceiving to be original, would take more effort than realistically worth while based on the likelihood of it being recognized as being altered, or would simply destroy the integrity of the item altogether.

Using today’s technology, I am confident that quality will either meet or exceed the high-quality standards of the originals. I will NOT do anything to jeopardize or degrade the reputation of Hutch as being the finest-quality bicycle components manufacturer ever.

“And what will these re-issues do to the value of my original stuff?� …

Your natural first reaction may be that it will decrease the values of the originals. I believe this will be completely false and backwards. In fact, values of high-quality or NOS originals are likely to INCREASE, based on increased demand through an enlarging population of collectors entering the sport…which is directly based on the availability of lower-cost re-issues. As a certain percentage of those new collectors mature, they will eventually want to collect vintage originals, and the larger base of collectors will support increased values. This equation is common to the fields of vintage guitar collecting and vintage muscle car collecting, just to name a couple examples.

“What did it take to resurrect the Hutch name and company?� …

In short, an immense amount of research…and money. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX was fragmented after its demise. Besides ownership and trademark rights, it was required that I solve beyond a reasonable doubt any potential issues relating to the various other legal issues that happened along the way. I formed my company in 2005, so it has taken more than 2 years to complete this process. The cost to purchase the rights was significant as well.

Making small consumables such as decals or pads requires little investment compared to the durable components. Imagine for example any 6 parts that Hutch made, then imagine the costs associated with making minimum batch requirements large enough to bring costs down enough so that the product can be priced accordingly. That quickly escalates into huge numbers. Anyone who doubts my willingness to defend these rights should strongly consider what I have invested to get to this point.

“What is your company?� …

My company is Trick Bike Company, LLC. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX and the Hutch logos are registered trademarks of Trick Bike Company, LLC. All rights reserved.

“Any plans for new-school products?� …

I envision new-school products that have a slight flair of the brand-specific styling to vintage originals. New-school offerings are a “phase 2� subject and will not happen right away. However, I strongly encourage and welcome any design recommendations, and will make a fair and equitable business arrangement with anyone that brings a viable or interesting product idea forward. The real potential for exponential profit lies within the larger retail market of the new-school population.

“What are the first products you will be offering?� …

This is an exciting time for BMX. We have the Olympic events for the first time, and we are also smack-dab in the middle of the 25th anniversary of the greatest era ever for vintage BMX. The Hutch product line is as in-depth as it gets. Therefore, the potential for strong interest is good. I will be announcing products and availability at the point of manufacturing where I receive the first prototypes in-hand and can inspect quality. Quality must meet my expectations to be considered as an available product. Pre-orders will only be offered after quality has been assured with the prototypes. I do have multiple projects working simultaneously now, and I may even have something at Rockford.

“Anything else besides Hutch coming?� …

Yes. I have acquired rights to CW, and I am working on acquiring rights to a few other select brands. I am also attempting to work with some existing and still-in-business companies for product re-issues. I hope this broad-base of new product offerings will allow our sport to grow, and also won't compromise the value and heritage of original vintage items for those who wish to collect only those items. It is a fine balance, and one I have given considerable thought to.

Thank you,
John"

5/4/2008 3:13 PM

So do you ride? I've always wanted a trick star!

5/11/2008 5:38 PM

So how long will we have to wait for complete Hutch bikes?

I hope it's soon but it will take a few years probably.

5/12/2008 1:50 PM

Would be kinda cool to see a new Trickstar tooling around.

The bigger the waistband, the deeper the quicksand!!

5/26/2008 7:48 PM

i hope all goes as planned! i need hutch parts. he says there will be slight differences so new dont get mixed up with old. i need parts !

8/18/2008 11:23 AM

On of my fav rides back in the day was my Prostar with all sealed bullseye hubs and bottombracket,man i almost forgot about that machine!!

10/14/2008 3:21 PM

?????

11/6/2008 9:46 PM

sick!!!!!!!!!! I'm 36 yrs old bring it back!!!!!!!! I'll buy one!!!!!! World Tour Invasion!!!!!!

12/12/2008 2:47 PM

reverbtank wrote: Here's the press release from John DeBruin, who now owns both the Hutch Hi-Performance and CW brands:

"Hutch Hi-Performance BMX
I am pleased to announce that I have recently acquired full ownership and trademark rights to the company Hutch Hi-Performance BMX, and am able to share preliminary plans for the future.

A brief history about me…

Always been a “Hutch guy� . Bought my pre-serial # in August of 1983, raced/rode until 1987. I enjoy building show-quality bikes today, and am a strong advocate of actually riding them.

In my dad’s younger days, he was a paid diver searching for sunken Spanish ships. Later on and when I was around 10, he wanted to go to the deeper wrecks, and I watched him use engine lathes and other big equipment to build his own submarine. From that point I knew I wanted to make stuff too. My professional career has always been new product development, and because I started at the beginning of the PC age, my strength has been advanced CAD/CAM programming combined with the use of CNC milling machines. Working directly for one of the largest CAD/CAM software companies, I traveled the world training and helping many high-profile companies with advanced machining concepts.

“Alright, so what are your plans?� …

My plans are to introduce new product “re-issues� that are remarkably similar to originals, but having at least 1 feature different than the originals. That 1 feature will fit the criteria that, in order to remove or modify it for the purpose of deceiving to be original, would take more effort than realistically worth while based on the likelihood of it being recognized as being altered, or would simply destroy the integrity of the item altogether.

Using today’s technology, I am confident that quality will either meet or exceed the high-quality standards of the originals. I will NOT do anything to jeopardize or degrade the reputation of Hutch as being the finest-quality bicycle components manufacturer ever.

“And what will these re-issues do to the value of my original stuff?� …

Your natural first reaction may be that it will decrease the values of the originals. I believe this will be completely false and backwards. In fact, values of high-quality or NOS originals are likely to INCREASE, based on increased demand through an enlarging population of collectors entering the sport…which is directly based on the availability of lower-cost re-issues. As a certain percentage of those new collectors mature, they will eventually want to collect vintage originals, and the larger base of collectors will support increased values. This equation is common to the fields of vintage guitar collecting and vintage muscle car collecting, just to name a couple examples.

“What did it take to resurrect the Hutch name and company?� …

In short, an immense amount of research…and money. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX was fragmented after its demise. Besides ownership and trademark rights, it was required that I solve beyond a reasonable doubt any potential issues relating to the various other legal issues that happened along the way. I formed my company in 2005, so it has taken more than 2 years to complete this process. The cost to purchase the rights was significant as well.

Making small consumables such as decals or pads requires little investment compared to the durable components. Imagine for example any 6 parts that Hutch made, then imagine the costs associated with making minimum batch requirements large enough to bring costs down enough so that the product can be priced accordingly. That quickly escalates into huge numbers. Anyone who doubts my willingness to defend these rights should strongly consider what I have invested to get to this point.

“What is your company?� …

My company is Trick Bike Company, LLC. Hutch Hi-Performance BMX and the Hutch logos are registered trademarks of Trick Bike Company, LLC. All rights reserved.

“Any plans for new-school products?� …

I envision new-school products that have a slight flair of the brand-specific styling to vintage originals. New-school offerings are a “phase 2� subject and will not happen right away. However, I strongly encourage and welcome any design recommendations, and will make a fair and equitable business arrangement with anyone that brings a viable or interesting product idea forward. The real potential for exponential profit lies within the larger retail market of the new-school population.

“What are the first products you will be offering?� …

This is an exciting time for BMX. We have the Olympic events for the first time, and we are also smack-dab in the middle of the 25th anniversary of the greatest era ever for vintage BMX. The Hutch product line is as in-depth as it gets. Therefore, the potential for strong interest is good. I will be announcing products and availability at the point of manufacturing where I receive the first prototypes in-hand and can inspect quality. Quality must meet my expectations to be considered as an available product. Pre-orders will only be offered after quality has been assured with the prototypes. I do have multiple projects working simultaneously now, and I may even have something at Rockford.

“Anything else besides Hutch coming?� …

Yes. I have acquired rights to CW, and I am working on acquiring rights to a few other select brands. I am also attempting to work with some existing and still-in-business companies for product re-issues. I hope this broad-base of new product offerings will allow our sport to grow, and also won't compromise the value and heritage of original vintage items for those who wish to collect only those items. It is a fine balance, and one I have given considerable thought to.

Thank you,
John"

OK I MUST SAY THIS WOULD BE TOTALY AWESOME!! HOWEVER THIS BIKE IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE MADE HERE IN THE U.S.A IF IT WANTS TO STAND UP TO THE ORIGINAL NAME OTHERWISE IT WILL FAIL ! lIKE THE PRO RAIDERS DID !

3/11/2009 8:54 AM

i think it would be great as long its not MADE IN CHINA.............pls dont sell out to china...........

3/13/2009 2:25 PM

HUTCH MADE ITS NAME IN THE USA ..........THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE HERE IN THE U.S.A. !

3/25/2009 2:41 AM

Thats sick I used to race a hutch!

3/30/2009 8:49 AM

HUTCH BMX IS THE BOMB!

3/31/2009 12:34 PM

Yeah, I still remember my stolen hutch bike..

life is short, ride harder

4/20/2009 2:24 AM

Hutch Always made great stuff. I was just reading about Richard Hutchins being anal about small flaws in the chrome on his bikes. I think Hutch always served as a standard for quality made bikes. I really hope they come back big, and bring back the Candy Red and Blue finishes from the late 80's. I use to have a Trickstar 2, and I am currently looking to purchase another one. All the guys in my neighborhood were jealous of my bike, and boy did that feel good. I only hope the company keeps it in the USA. Our country needs more manufacturing here at home. Plus I believe its the right way to stay true to the brandname.

4/20/2009 2:11 PM

reverbtank wrote: Hey, guys. This is my first post in the "Old School Talk" Forum. I'm also the newly appointed forum moderator. I will be posting more about myself very soon.

In the meantime, check out this info about the "new" Hutch Hi-Performance BMX. Definitely wanna know how the BMX community, both current-school and old-school feel about this approach.

Check out my thoughts over on my site, BMX Roots, here: BMXRoots.com

Lemme hear your thoughts -reverbtank

You're not a moderator on here.

A 20 year old little kids bicycle rider.

Follow my adventures on Instagram @resslerbmx

4/25/2009 11:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2009 11:25 PM

Thanks guys. Check out the site at HutchBMX.com and even if you're not ready to buy, go to the Store section and register for the Newsletter, which will be the primary method of announcing all new product updates and availability.

5/1/2009 2:27 PM

hey john when will the frames be ready ???

5/12/2009 11:44 AM

I'm working on them right now, so no firm date yet. The Newsletter is the first place it will be announced when they are ready though.

6/1/2009 12:40 PM

Hey John, I love what you're doing with the comeback of Hutch. I purchased the Hutch Zap pads and the restoration stickers from your company this morning, can't wait to see them. How long will it before I can buy the 3 piece cranks and power disc? Do you plan doing a bike show in or around Baltimore, Maryland where it all started?

7/16/2012 12:16 PM

As a current 1985 Hutch Judge owner (year I was born) I am ecstatic to hear of Hutch coming back. I am also glad that you take such an interest in ensuring the quality is worthy of the Hutch name. If the new stuff is anything like the old stuff as far as quality goes they better look out 'cause HUTCH IS BACK!

7/29/2012 9:56 PM

The new hutches won't be anything like the old one's. Re-pop is a bad idea imo.

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

Post a Reply to: Hutch BMX Comeback?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm