4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Older Riders!

8/8/2011 6:56 AM

I want front brakes to be more popular again. I go back and forth on them, but I love em. Hell, brakes in general. I am sick of 11 year olds slamming into me to stop. I tell them to put brakes on and they reply "I don't need brakes". Yea, try again kid. You only stopped because you hit me. Put some damn brakes on.

I also dislike the "You don't have (insert brand here), your bike is shit" or "I can see your seatpost, slam it, pull off your brakes and your bike MIGHT be ok". Really? Kids that say that typically have an entry level complete. It's retarded.

I miss the "You ride, I ride, let's be buddies" aspect of even just 10 years ago. Didn't matter what you ride, just that you rode. Now if you aren't an exact clone, you aren't cool.

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

8/9/2011 12:44 AM

dave lawrence wrote: I want front brakes to be more popular again. I go back and forth on them, but I love em. Hell, brakes in general. I am sick of 11 year olds slamming into me to stop. I tell them to put brakes on and they reply "I don't need brakes". Yea, try again kid. You only stopped because you hit me. Put some damn brakes on.

I also dislike the "You don't have (insert brand here), your bike is shit" or "I can see your seatpost, slam it, pull off your brakes and your bike MIGHT be ok". Really? Kids that say that typically have an entry level complete. It's retarded.

I miss the "You ride, I ride, let's be buddies" aspect of even just 10 years ago. Didn't matter what you ride, just that you rode. Now if you aren't an exact clone, you aren't cool.

epic analogy.

It's an Eastern, and it's fucking awesome.

8/14/2011 12:48 PM

bring back suicide no handers(and other tricks requiring seat pinching) get rid of fad riders

8/16/2011 10:06 PM

So I'm 40 and have been riding pretty hard for about the last 10 years after taking a decade off. Newly moved to a dead zone in NC. I'm not nostalgic about the old bikes at all! By about 1990 I was going through a set of forks every few weeks.

I would bring back vander rolls if I could.

Cheers,
Roland

8/17/2011 6:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2011 9:33 PM

id love to see taller seat posts make a comeback......little less street coverage on everything and more dirt coverage

11/3/2011 11:15 AM

nikpeterson wrote: bring back suicide no handers(and other tricks requiring seat pinching) get rid of fad riders

Yeah, I miss seeing those too.

11/7/2011 9:41 AM

XxknothingxX wrote: The Emo Bitches Taking over this sport can go with all their weight saving, brakeless, plastic non-sense. I'd like to see the GT Mohawk Hubs make a come back Best wheelset I ever owned sealed 36H spun forever, but of course some cockstain stole my bike so I'll never see them again. Things like Tiny sprockets we use to joke about when ppl started to get like 36 and 39T ones, but it is kinda nice with the smaller gearing no problems there, but the fact that half the bikes I see for sale don't even have brake and the damn handle bars are Fuckin ENORMOUS and everything is plastic with a seat that's so far down it's practically pointless drive me INSANE. One other thing what the hell is the big deal with these "foldable tires"??? my Maxxis Tires work fine haha

Man, am I glad I found this thread! I thought I was going to be the only "old" guy on here! I know all the clones will rag on my layback, and tell me how I screwed up a perfectly nice Redline, but IDGAF! Oh, wait, they will tell me its gay cause its not a _________ or a _________.

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/14/2011 10:44 PM

XxknothingxX wrote: The Emo Bitches Taking over this sport can go with all their weight saving, brakeless, plastic non-sense. I'd like to see the GT Mohawk Hubs make a come back Best wheelset I ever owned sealed 36H spun forever, but of course some cockstain stole my bike so I'll never see them again. Things like Tiny sprockets we use to joke about when ppl started to get like 36 and 39T ones, but it is kinda nice with the smaller gearing no problems there, but the fact that half the bikes I see for sale don't even have brake and the damn handle bars are Fuckin ENORMOUS and everything is plastic with a seat that's so far down it's practically pointless drive me INSANE. One other thing what the hell is the big deal with these "foldable tires"??? my Maxxis Tires work fine haha

Chuck8273 wrote: Man, am I glad I found this thread! I thought I was going to be the only "old" guy on here! I know all the clones will rag on my layback, and tell me how I screwed up a perfectly nice Redline, but IDGAF! Oh, wait, they will tell me its gay cause its not a _________ or a _________.

Haha I'm probably one of like 3 ppl on here that still ride a Redline, but they always been good to me. I beat the piss out of my old ones used them for trail riding, street riding, Track, and even sketchy ass ramps we built and set up in parking lots/alleys and they always held up, Redline always screamed quality in my book. So I'll stick with what always worked for me.

N'at

BIKE CHECK

11/27/2011 10:11 AM

Rolandlite wrote: So I'm 40 and have been riding pretty hard for about the last 10 years after taking a decade off. Newly moved to a dead zone in NC. I'm not nostalgic about the old bikes at all! By about 1990 I was going through a set of forks every few weeks.

Cheers,
Roland

where are u in N.C. Im getting back into riding after 10+ years out the game. We used to ride @ MULLAY PARK in the bronx.
Need to find spots out in N.C. thats not for PRO'S...AKA GREENVILLE....lol

11/27/2011 1:08 PM

Rolandlite wrote: So I'm 40 and have been riding pretty hard for about the last 10 years after taking a decade off. Newly moved to a dead zone in NC. I'm not nostalgic about the old bikes at all! By about 1990 I was going through a set of forks every few weeks.

Cheers,
Roland

M-1 wrote: where are u in N.C. Im getting back into riding after 10+ years out the game. We used to ride @ MULLAY PARK in the bronx.
Need to find spots out in N.C. thats not for PRO'S...AKA GREENVILLE....lol

I'm in Wilmington.

1/1/2012 4:53 AM

hi ,my names snap .........do you know what a older retro rider would like to see ...............................................mmmm

the person who is doing the colouring schemes on bikes now roped towed behind a jet ...........mustad ,,,,,,chocolate,,,,,,,,matt black,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,olive..........................................................what next paisley ,cheques,spots ,feathers................i just shake my head .................................

im over words let just rrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiidddddddeeee

1/2/2012 10:10 AM

I agree with everybody I really do these kids today are so outta control with their attitudes, I'm 27 but I'm old school I ride new school shit and I do like it all except the wide ass bars and the slammed seats, plus the skinny jeans and justin beaber hair with a beannie in 100 degree weather is fuckin gay. Alex triple walls hell ya or bfr, female 3/8 are jus as strong as 14mm, I rode for s&m 7 years ago then had kids been back on my bike for 1 yr now and started my son on a shitty walmart bike for about 3 monthes now he has a fit 18" and of course daddy has a complete custom fit. Now back in the day I was one of the only guys ridin brakeless now all these lil fuckers think they can ride that way. Finally started meeting ppl worth riding with but I hate goin to a park and tryin to talk to a group of kids and its like as if I'm invisible until I do a 360 whip then they wanna talk. My son will not be one of those bad attitude skinny jean ridin justin beaver piercing in the face assholes.

1/2/2012 10:23 AM

Further more lol, tuck no handers are they gayest trick in the world, suicide is the only tru no hander. Footjams are new to me gotem locked in now, these rodeo style 360s are sweet but all the pink and purple and feather light bikes are gay, when I rode brakeless back in the day I rode a next generation holmes and slam bars with 39/16 fat claw with a go cart chain (kmc415) 48h bfr's and my bike prolly weighed around 36lbs and that was light in those days plus we didn't wiegh them just built em to go to the nastiest ledge and hauled ass to and grinded to see who could thro the biggest sparks lol. Now my bike wieghs about 23lbs and that's considered alil heavy for a complete custom. I'm like fuck that's what my race bike wieghed back in the day. I just wish these kids had better attitudes and rode as a unit like we did back in the day even the skateboard kids are so fuckin lazy andhave this beavis and butthead mentality. My son wanted to skateboard as well and I watched these kids jus kick their boards into the air and walk real lazy to get it or stand right in the fuckin way of quarter pipes so they could do an ollie with there friends I'm like hello fuckers this is a skatepark not a fuckin driveway. I kno I kno enoughh bitchin, but I'm glad a found a spot to vent it out. I'm in florida by lakeland now if anyone would like to hook up and ride please contact me

1/17/2012 4:49 PM

tuck no handers were being done way before suicides were. I'd say they are the 'true' no handers, if I was to argue that type of stuff.

Personally, I'm stoked on new school bikes. Light weight but still strong. 25 pounds is light to me....

1/19/2012 12:45 PM

I also like the new school bikes. Longer top tubes, no more bearing cups and it's getting to the point where every bolt is broached for a 6mm allen wrench. 28T sprockets clear the rail on a crooked grind, 20mm female axles don't bend, and if you do bend the axle bolt you throw it out and buy another one at the hardware store. Yeah, the bars are taller, but you don't need to run an inch or two of spacers under the stem anymore, and while kids riding wide bars kind is kind of funny the extra width is nice when you're an adult riding around on a kids bike.

Long story short, I'd take a new school ride over an old skool ride any day. Not interested in being an weight whore? Don't buy a 4lb scooter frame.

I do agree that the current attitude in BMX sucks. I'm not sure if it's because BMX has become more popular/mainstream or if it's because old dudes are putting up generational barriers by making fun of young dudes for their slammed seats and girl pants, but I suspect it's probably a bit of both.

1/20/2012 7:47 AM

I'm 41. Seems like every time my riding would progress to a higher level I would catch some serious injury, I've been on and off the 20" bikes since racing my first 11 novice moto. I hate the skateboard influence on bmx today and its obvious if you look at it. Lower stand overs , useless seats , no brakes. I rock it somewhere in the middle today, my brakes aren't coming off and I show enough seat post to pinch with my legs (pinching with my knees seemed easier but Hell everything seemed easier a few years back. I do enjoy the lighter bikes and the tech stuff that has made that possible. My bike today goes 24lbs even with 2 pegs and brakes. My old STA went about 31lbs lol. I give all the props to the kids now though, I'm happy to pedal around for the most part

1/27/2012 1:47 PM

I'm 42, gonna be 43 in March. I don't ride 20" bikes any more, I'm a cruiser guy now. When I first started riding again (last year, so I'm a n00b again) I was instinctively opposed to all the new fads... brakeless, slammed seats, micro-gearing, the whole nine. Now, though... I grok the lowered seats and micro-gearing, and I love my bikes which are setup that way.

Brakeless is just dumb in general. On any bike.

I would like to see actual racing come back. Now it seems like racing exists only from the gate to the first berm, then it's just a contest of who can manual the best and not crash. My local track doesn't have a straight stretch longer than from the gate to the first jump without obstacles.

As far as freestyle is concerned, I'm only now getting into street and park riding. So I have no comment there. I am amazed at what riders are doing today in the parks and on the trails. Holy hell, they got skillz.

I used to ride a Mirraco 20Forty, but now I ride a Sunday-ed out Premium and I dig it!

1/30/2012 5:48 PM

I'm 40... 'd like to see Radical Ricky back...lol

1/30/2012 6:24 PM

Radical Rick was... radical.

I used to ride a Mirraco 20Forty, but now I ride a Sunday-ed out Premium and I dig it!

2/11/2012 12:01 AM

Some Dude wrote: I also like the new school bikes. Longer top tubes, no more bearing cups and it's getting to the point where every bolt is broached for a 6mm allen wrench. 28T sprockets clear the rail on a crooked grind, 20mm female axles don't bend, and if you do bend the axle bolt you throw it out and buy another one at the hardware store. Yeah, the bars are taller, but you don't need to run an inch or two of spacers under the stem anymore, and while kids riding wide bars kind is kind of funny the extra width is nice when you're an adult riding around on a kids bike.

Long story short, I'd take a new school ride over an old skool ride any day. Not interested in being an weight whore? Don't buy a 4lb scooter frame.

I do agree that the current attitude in BMX sucks. I'm not sure if it's because BMX has become more popular/mainstream or if it's because old dudes are putting up generational barriers by making fun of young dudes for their slammed seats and girl pants, but I suspect it's probably a bit of both.

im alot younger than most of yall... and well its the shithead kids riding now for the most part, not the old dudes... i get bitched at for my seat being high and its barely up at the stem... they act as if no tricks can possibly be done because of that and my long cable... oh and my tiny bars... theyre 7.75 rise 26width... i was used to smaller ones but someone stole my bike... and at skateparks alot of the younger guys tend to be all a bunch of trendy fucks and brand bitches... with the exception of a few guys... and all the older guys ive met are mad chill and talk to you about shit

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

2/11/2012 3:26 AM

A few months ago I put My 1986 redline RL 20II together. I have to tell you I love the look of it, but it rides like shit. The first thing I noticed was how high the bottom bracket is. It just felt sketchy like I had allot less control. Then I sat down just to pedal around a bit , and my knees hit the handle bars. So I got off and started measuring the frame. It has a 20" top tube length. It also has 16" chain stays. I really do like the look of it, and loved it to death when I was a teenager, but compared to my modern frames geo, it doesn't even come close to how it handles.

2/14/2012 6:38 PM

hey whats up old fart thread I'm just kidding. it seems again I'm stuck in the middle, I'm 26, i started riding in 1997 and have raced ever since, and rode freestyle off and on, more on than off these days, i spend most my time on the museum forums, i like it better there, you guys would too.. I'm not really up to speed with the really old school stuff, i like the term mid school.. I'm not young tho in crazy tight jeans with my hair over one eye. just a regular cat who rides because its fun, and its still fun. i have to comment on the weight topic though, even when i was growing up, just into riding with the older guys at the time with their SOBs, Sabbaths, and General Lees, people were still stoked about light bikes, i feel like its always kind of an unwritten concept that lighter is better.. but theres obvious times when its not, i think the term weenie is in there for a reason. someone who has cared about the weight of their bike to the extent that some things/areas/drops/gaps/ledges whatever is unridable, they have lightened their bike to the point that they wouldn't be confident throwing it down a 15 set of stairs or dropping off the roof of my garage to flat, just because its fun.

doing business like its a business since 1985

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

BMX-Decals.com on Facebook!!!!!!!

2/20/2012 3:45 PM

im 25. been riding since i was 5. grew up riding gt performers and dynos. im not that old but i still ride old school. my main bike is my 94 gt performer. and my best friend is jay souza haha

Im a mom, i ride & i race for Grindz Co.
refs: TCbmx(x3),Ecuadevil(x2), Ron44ald, Spikez5, The Balt, Pleasedontdeleteme(x2), Aguers(x2), Effigy(x3), Warchol2, Dees Hos(x2), ScramHype, Showtime402, Sancheezz, Phocraken(traded), pcoco, Nike ID,1of1547,aw123412,BEASTASSDICK(x2), mike_1033,russellonabike, Fad3r, Chuck8273, verdecustom,FreddyDapice, bmxscout48

2/24/2012 1:48 PM

MarcusV wrote: I'm 40... 'd like to see Radical Ricky back...lol

I'm 35 and I wish I could still write a "Dear Gork" letter.

5/4/2012 7:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2012 8:36 PM

I'm 37 this year. I rode for decades and bent my back bad in a truck accident. Since then I have barely rode at all. I sold all I had and have not even one bike left.
Moreover, the bikes I banged on were weak. I weigh 240 Lbs and i'm 5'7". I lifted weights for years and I beat bikes HARD. I crack frames and taco rims like it's a daily occurance.
Does ANYONE make a bike I can beat on? I have been looking for something over the past few days and rode a few a local bike shop suggested and they are too flimsy. They feel weak. I rode a FIT and a DK. I figured they wished i'd bust a $900 bike so i'd have to pay for it.
I'm originally from the East Coast, NY and there were no skateparks when I was a kid. I had to build tracks and ramps.
Now I am on the west coast and there is a park in every friggin town.
I watch kids pullin no air and cheap tricks and I get aggrivated I can't hop on my scoot and shred. It's sad. I figure alot of people can relate.
If anyone has any help i'd appreciate it.
Maybe a complete that would take a beating out of the box that I can upgrade later or maybe just a list of parts as I might never find something complete.
Almost forgot, I want to ride the local parks and do not care for dirt just yet. I want to get it back one part at a time and I will start with street and park. If that works out i'll build a halfpipe, and so on.
Thank You.

What is right is what is left after everything else has gone wrong.

8/27/2012 4:43 PM

36 year old virgin,wasted my childhood away skateboarding streets then football.Got older bought dirt bike started racing economy took a shit couldnt afford to ride so bought my kid a 20inch and though i should get a bike to roll aroiund with him.Fast forward 2 years and his playing football and i cant stop riding.Wish i was younger i get sad when i think i might only have a few good years left to ride.I like to go fast and big,my backyard,trails,skateparks,street i love it all.Not very good but love to ride.I try to tell kids this its not about what you cant do,its about having fun doing what you can do and trying to progress trying things you want to do.RIDE TILL I DIE Anybody want to ride Simi Valley ca

8/27/2012 5:44 PM

bmxpapa wrote: 36 year old virgin,wasted my childhood away skateboarding streets then football.Got older bought dirt bike started racing economy took a shit couldnt afford to ride so bought my kid a 20inch and though i should get a bike to roll aroiund with him.Fast forward 2 years and his playing football and i cant stop riding.Wish i was younger i get sad when i think i might only have a few good years left to ride.I like to go fast and big,my backyard,trails,skateparks,street i love it all.Not very good but love to ride.I try to tell kids this its not about what you cant do,its about having fun doing what you can do and trying to progress trying things you want to do.RIDE TILL I DIE Anybody want to ride Simi Valley ca

Ill ride simi valley with you.. Just give me a headsup ahead of time so i can get someone to watch my little girl.

doing business like its a business since 1985

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

BMX-Decals.com on Facebook!!!!!!!

8/28/2012 10:52 AM

Ok, solved that, found a Fit Team Street from 08 on craigslist from one of the afformentioned skinny jeaned kids. Ordered a custom FBM and am waiting. In the meantime I forgot what the thread was so...

I miss hammer as well, I miss the idea of safety gear in general at this point, it was cool to not have as much when I weighed 128 but I weigh 235 now.

I miss detanglers and brakes...my Fit did not come with any. It has a brake mount but it has no center pull mounts so w.e., i'm now brakeless, and the thing I hate about brakeless is replacing shoes.

I've been riding since I was a kid, started racing when I was 8 and miss the variations of bicycles. All the old designs tried to best each other, now they just copy each other with minor differences. I def miss the old freestyle frames and the places one could place a foot without thought. They are long gone. I miss my 88' Haro Master.

I've been riding with my seat slammed but tilted since the late 80s as I always found it easy to grip with my knees yet low enough not to get in the way. I don't ride around town on this, so I could care about how much I need to sit to pedal.

When I was a kid pink and purple bikes were in, so I just consider the new trends retro. Remember Hollywood Mike Miranda and his pink Hutch? I bought one. I miss those days in general.

Rode Beartraps on ALL of my rides including my flatland bike and I don't slip pedals. I think I might have a handful of times in my life to little injury so I miss those too.

But most of all, I miss all of my old friends that ride. The ones who do are as old or older than I am and all have lives that preclude riding often, as I do. I miss the comradere and I miss those good times. Most of my friends that still ride do something from the industry from my friend Ron Gaska who supports Shoreham, LI, NY to Joe Gruttola who still shreds flatland in Centereach LI, NY. I also miss beating Tim Strelecki when he was the IBMXF world champ and I was still an amatuer.

I'm no noob, but when I ride and my back kicks, I sure feel like one. No more riding off the garage roof to flat for me. No more insane hang time where you can feel the inertia of gravity leave as you hung. Now i'm glad I can still alleyoop and drop in without an incident, or stop without a wall or ramp as my brake.

What is right is what is left after everything else has gone wrong.

9/10/2012 2:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2012 2:49 PM

36 here. Just getting back into the scene after taking quite a few years off being busy working, raising kids, etc...

Just recently, my son showed an interest in riding again after an OTB incident kept him off a bike for a few years (I didn't want to push him too hard to get back on a bike before he was ready to, so I left it up to him). Anyway, he saved his $ & we went in
halves on a new Fit VHII. WAY new-school to me; slammed seat, like 8" standover, tiny sprocket, and super-light, by my
standards at 24 pounds (hell, my custom Redline XXX from 2000 was 42 pounds; Profile SS cranks, Alex Supra triple walls, etc).

I took it for a little spin, and was shocked at how tiny it felt. No chance of doing a sit-down wheelie on this bike, much less even sit down, for that matter. BUT, the thing is so light and solid, it got me stoked on riding again, and now I'm gonna build a new bike for myself.

Personally, I have always been a fan of big bars. My faves were my CWs. remember those? They were like 9" rise, 28" wide, and felt RAD. Also, the fact that everything is integrated on the new bikes is great, too. I HATED having to replace broken bearing cups in my headsets. Materials are WAY better than they were, and they're only getting better.

I want to build my new bike so it can actually be ridden, meaning have a legit sitting position, and can be pedaled while sitting down. It will also have brakes. And will more than likely be a 22". Not quite a cruiser, just a little bigger & more stable (kinda like me now, lol).

BMX is RAD.

9/17/2012 9:14 PM

going on 42 in a month and riding better then ever! I think BMX has come along way in the last few decades. Wouldn't change a thing. I actually have a jam coming up at my house in a week. Hoping it will go down huge.
Post a Reply to: Older Riders!

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm