4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

Older Riders!

7/20/2013 5:40 AM

I really miss all that foam protection stuff...............NOT !

Gravity sucks

9/5/2013 9:09 PM

Hey guys. Just chiming in here, 31 years old, just got thrown off pinkbike, and I hit my first jump as a wee lad in 1987 on a 30 pound bike with mag wheels and dia comps. I hope vital will be a better fit.

9/12/2013 6:07 AM

Im 46 and stll trying to ridewith my kidsi dont do any tricks now days about the only thing i can kind of do is a half ass table top but i habe fun flying around and carving the skate parks and going to the tracks with my kids. I would like to see more dirt jumping and park riding in xgames and tv events and alot more of freeride mountain biking and i would like to see way less half pipe sorry guys its probably fun to ride but kind of boring to watch

9/25/2013 1:40 PM

just getting back into riding after many years away and its nice to see threads like this. im 32 glad to see im not the oldest on here. im currently waiting to have back surgery but as soon as im healed up I cant wait to buy a Sunday model c and get back into it.
matt

9/25/2013 8:15 PM

candyman13 wrote: just getting back into riding after many years away and its nice to see threads like this. im 32 glad to see im not the oldest on here. im currently waiting to have back surgery but as soon as im healed up I cant wait to buy a Sunday model c and get back into it.
matt

Welcome to Vital Matt! I wish you the best with your surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to start shredding soon. I just started back up last February after being off the bike for far too long. I've been having fun learning how to ride park and street, and just enjoying learning stuff I couldn't do as a kid. With your proximity to Chicago and Rockford, you've got a pretty good scene down there and I'm sure you'll find some good people to ride with. Good luck, and cheers!

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/27/2013 11:32 AM

Hey guys, I just been thinking about getting back on the wheels lately also, getting tired of seeing my poor bike rust away outside on the patio, think im gonna rip it apart for old times sake and maybe upgrade all those parts that i never could afford when i was younger.

Been checking out the forums here a bit the last week or so and trying to see where the current state of things is, does look a bit annoying with kids and weight nazis and the like, but not much different then we were kids, just new generation of brats i guess.

The only surprising thing i seen so far was those new (at least new for me) hubs that can go backwards, like some sort of centrifugal clutch or something, that was neat. otherwise searching through here and danscomp etc. doesn't seem like too much reason to buy new stuff. ill prob pick up a new chain, a new brake lever that i had broke a while back, and possibly new brake cables, maybe do a paint job. otherwise ill break it down, get all the rust and paint off, repaint it, lube the bearings in the gyro, headset, crank, just take my time and enjoy it, hopefully be riding pretty soon....

10/15/2013 11:52 PM

i'm 40 and have been out of the loop since i'm 17.. do the math lol! now i just got my two sons (13 and 10) their own bmx bikes off some bike store in my country, pre-built. both are 20-inchers.. so you can just imagine that the components are mostly crappy. as for me, i am now contemplating on building my own bike again and start riding with my kids and maybe relearn my old tricks and show it yo them. my problem now is that there are a lot of variations now when it comes to parts.. cassettes? what the fuck is that?! 25 teeth crank?! oh boy! i grew up and learned to ride and jump on one-piece cranks .. and my idols were matt hoffman and josh white.. oh and cru jones lol!

some store clerks are offering me a steal deal on mountain bikes. so i said to him, "what the hell am i gonna do with that?!" tsk!

BTW, my kid wants me to put a basket on his bike.. OMG!

so, the bottomline here is I want to welcome myself to this thread and to the forum :-D

10/16/2013 6:33 AM

The kid from E.T. had a basket on his bike. Look how awesome he was!

10/18/2013 12:33 PM

pnj wrote: The kid from E.T. had a basket on his bike. Look how awesome he was!

Check out Puma BMX ! Bikes with a basket.......

Gravity sucks

10/18/2013 12:36 PM

Anyone got problems riding on your age ? Personaly it takes more time for me to recover from injury....

Gravity sucks

10/19/2013 12:38 PM

Life is a Dive wrote: Anyone got problems riding on your age ? Personaly it takes more time for me to recover from injury....

Well right off the bat, for me personally, I'm about 40lbs heavier, more joint injuries and 1/16 the core strength than I had 20 years ago when I was hardcore in to riding. Now I have more body to throw around and less fitness to do it! ;-) LOL

.... but it is no less fun than it ever was!! I'm having a blast again and very grateful for double walled rims and top tube lengths 20" and longer! ;-)

Check Out My Bike Check
Instagram: @marksisom

11/15/2013 4:47 PM

36 here..
Just got back into riding about 2 weeks ago..All started with a diamond back 24 cruiser spotted on craigs list..I picked it up for a 100.oo bucks..My 17 year old daughter jumped on it and really liked it so the next day I got her a 24 haro..That started a viscous cycle that im now consumed in..a few days later I bought a mirraco 2040 and sold the db the my buddy..That weekend said buddy and I put 26 straight miles on our cruisers in a matter of a couple hours..Im about 2 weeks into this bike bender and im the proud owner of a stolen score and a mirraco blend also..Frickin house is lookin like a damn bike shop.lol..Im really diggin the new style bmx parts..Those little sprockets were a mind fuck for me for a while but I settled into them real well.The bars on the 2040 had to be upgraded so I scooped up a set of eastern 7.25 rise..Its good to be back ridin like a kid again..Thrash on guys!!

11/17/2013 2:08 PM

Fellers!
I've replied a few times on this post and am a lot like all you guys.
48 here and with a jump box in the yard...that I would hit a lot more if I was 28! LOL
I took some time and wrote a book called "The Average BMXer", which chronicles what I went through as the average every day rider in New Jersey doing his thing in the early days...up to about last year.
I tried to tell "our story" of the normal dude riding who was never a superstar but loved what they did...
I have it on lulu.com as an epub and kindle, it's also a hardcover but it's mad expensive.
If anyone is looking to waste some time reading...this is where you can find it.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/brett-middaugh/the-average-bmxer/ebook/product-21264201.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Average-BMXer-Brett-Middaugh-ebook/dp/B00FN8G5A8

BMX 4ever
Brett

12/18/2013 5:10 PM

bmiddaugh wrote: Fellers!
I've replied a few times on this post and am a lot like all you guys.
48 here and with a jump box in the yard...that I would hit a lot more if I was 28! LOL
I took some time and wrote a book called "The Average BMXer", which chronicles what I went through as the average every day rider in New Jersey doing his thing in the early days...up to about last year.
I tried to tell "our story" of the normal dude riding who was never a superstar but loved what they did...
I have it on lulu.com as an epub and kindle, it's also a hardcover but it's mad expensive.
If anyone is looking to waste some time reading...this is where you can find it.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/brett-middaugh/the-average-bmxer/ebook/product-21264201.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Average-BMXer-Brett-Middaugh-ebook/dp/B00FN8G5A8

BMX 4ever
Brett

I found nothing an amazon

"Old punks never die, we just stand in the back"

Post a Reply to: Older Riders!

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm