4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

WHO USED TO RACE AND....

3/5/2013 10:04 PM

What type of ride were you cruising around on??

My older brother and I used to race from around 1990-1996ish. My first real ride was a Diamondback (can't remember the model) and it was a junior frame. Then I got a purple Auburn with the Aluminum swingarm that was anodized purple. Some of the things I remember it had were Odyssey Black Widow pedals and cranks, purple. Purple Answer bars, Oddysey T-1000 rims with purple flames, DK stem anodized purple, and either DK or Profile anodized purple hubs.

My favorite racers were Pistol Pete Loncarevich, Gary Ellis, Danny Robinson, and Tim "Fuzzy" Hall to name a few.

I'm on the edge of glory!

3/6/2013 7:35 AM

dirtbiker wrote: What type of ride were you cruising around on??

My older brother and I used to race from around 1990-1996ish. My first real ride was a Diamondback (can't remember the model) and it was a junior frame. Then I got a purple Auburn with the Aluminum swingarm that was anodized purple. Some of the things I remember it had were Odyssey Black Widow pedals and cranks, purple. Purple Answer bars, Oddysey T-1000 rims with purple flames, DK stem anodized purple, and either DK or Profile anodized purple hubs.

My favorite racers were Pistol Pete Loncarevich, Gary Ellis, Danny Robinson, and Tim "Fuzzy" Hall to name a few.

Yeah man, I remember those. I had that blaze orange Haro Aggro when you had the D-Back. Then I got that blue Auburn, but the swingarm was chrome. I got the Powerlite P-61 after that. I loved it but the damn thing was an XL and I was too small for it (probably still would be). Then I got the Hawk that was "John Deere" green and had green cyclecraft Fred Z bars and green Technique cranks, Crupi pedals, Shimano XTR V brake, King headset, and I think I had a profile stem. Then I had those gum colored Tioga Comp III tires and another set of em in black. Sun rims and profile hubs. I think I was running a profile 44t sprocket but I don't know. I had that Poor Boy number plate. My favorite riders were the older dudes that cruised around our trails.

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

3/6/2013 12:00 PM

First real bmx bike was a mongoose with motomags.
First real race bike was a DG Steve Skibel.
DG super pro.
Torker E.K. special.
Endless sea of GT's up to this day.

3/6/2013 1:44 PM

Calafia wrote: First real bmx bike was a mongoose with motomags.
First real race bike was a DG Steve Skibel.
DG super pro.
Torker E.K. special.
Endless sea of GT's up to this day.

Man, I don't keep up with racing anymore but the whole GT/Powerlite/Dyno/Auburn/Robinson conglomerate was the shit back then!! I used to want a Mongoose when I was a kid since Rad was my favorite movie. That's why I got a Haro. That movie made me realize there were cooler bikes out there than what Sears had.

Winter is over-rated

3/8/2013 9:52 AM

I raced a few years, must have been 82-84. I had a Bassett, then a PK Ripper.

3/8/2013 8:49 PM

Pitbull Equipment wrote: I raced a few years, must have been 82-84. I had a Bassett, then a PK Ripper.

I used to want a PK Ripper when I was a kid. A guy that was a few years older than me had one it was pretty sick! I'm not familiar with Bassets though. Was that a company or a bike model?

Winter is over-rated

3/9/2013 1:39 AM

I loved that bike. It showed up like new but used at a local bike shop in Kansas of all places. I guess Bassett was a family owned company that built aftermarket exhaust for boats. The kids were into bmx, so they built bikes for a while. This is just what I've found on the net, I'm sure someone else has better info.

4/3/2013 10:39 AM

I raced in the early to mid 80s. Started on a Torker, then went to Free Agent. My "home track" was USBMX (NBL) in Azusa, but I was at Coal Canyon (Yorba Linda) and Montclair a lot too. Orange sometimes.

Now I mess around on my 24" on the street, and every once in a while I put dirt tires on and hit the Orange track for fun.

I used to ride a Mirraco 20Forty, but now I ride a Sunday-ed out Premium and I dig it!

4/3/2013 7:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2013 7:02 PM

iamtim wrote: I raced in the early to mid 80s. Started on a Torker, then went to Free Agent. My "home track" was USBMX (NBL) in Azusa, but I was at Coal Canyon (Yorba Linda) and Montclair a lot too. Orange sometimes.

Now I mess around on my 24" on the street, and every once in a while I put dirt tires on and hit the Orange track for fun.

Nice man, I forgot about Torkers and how cool they were until I went to a vintage BMX show and saw some nice ones. That's great to see you riding street on a 24". I considered getting one, but I'm pretty short so I went for the 20" again since it was what I'm used to. The S&M Holmes 22" is pretty badass too though.

Winter is over-rated

4/4/2013 7:24 AM

I would kill for a 22". Alas, that's not in the budget anytime soon.

Unless someone wants to trade a 22" for my 24". :D

I used to ride a Mirraco 20Forty, but now I ride a Sunday-ed out Premium and I dig it!

4/4/2013 8:45 AM

iamtim wrote: I would kill for a 22". Alas, that's not in the budget anytime soon.

Unless someone wants to trade a 22" for my 24". :D

I hear ya man. It may take a while to see some used ones reasonably priced. A new setup is definitely not economically viable for me. I usually buy used bikes and build them up; it's more fun that way for me. Most the spare parts I have are pretty thrashed and they'd make a haggard ride lol!

Winter is over-rated

4/9/2013 7:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2013 7:57 PM

Cool post, I'll bite:

I used to race, from about 80'-85' then switched to freestyling and never looked back .... although I still like and appreciate racing, it's how I started after all!

I'm in NJ and when I raced back then it was mainly at Island Dragway at Hackettstown. Also raced at Jersey City Armory, Egg Harbor, Flemington and Howell (Bicycle World off Rt 9).

My first bike I raced on was a Mongoose, but then switched to PK Rippers (went through 3 of those) then was sponsored for a hot minute by NJ-based Thruster and got one frame from them right before I moved and switched to freestyle.

Check Out My Bike Check
Instagram: @marksisom

6/6/2013 7:12 AM

I also raced in the early 80's. first race wasin 78 or 79 in Clarksville Tenn. BMX Exhibition race in a city park on flat ground with wooden ramps and pylons mapping out the track. Everyone had stripped down street bikes with banana seats. fenders , chainguards and reflectors removed. It was the first time any of us had heard of BMX racing. A couple of years later in maybe 81 I got my first real bmx bike. A Cycle Pro trophy. It was sweet ! ACS Zrims, pro neck, fluted bars and seat post big oakley grips , kkt lightening pedals snake bellies all red ano with yellow stickers. moved to Ky and raced local tracks in bowling green and owensboro. those were the days.Now my son started going to the skate park and im as addicted as I was back then. We have 6 custom completes and ride park and street together.

ref"s: Eucadevil (alot) , SuperstarDK (alot) , TCBMX, Scramhype, Kurtnut, The horror contact, Zachhendrix, Meat sheets , BMX , RJK765, bait, broughton, funfrontbrake,ericlikesbikes bmxsteve, and lots more cant remember everyone , but I can assure you I am legit !
txt me ; 270-799-9818

6/6/2013 10:53 AM

I used to race at the old azusa track n Mon Rovia track from like 77 to like 82 first real bmx was a Mongoose with motomags then my parents said it was to heavy n has jason jesson dad build me up a custom GJS it was blue n gold they called me the jolly blue giant lol

9/25/2013 1:46 PM

I use to race on an elf double cross then I rode on a s&m dirt bike and holmes
Post a Reply to: WHO USED TO RACE AND....

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm