4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Participating Members

standard headset with integrated bearings?

3/2/2010 8:30 PM

okay. well i have a retro mosh pro frame that ive had for YEARS!


i want to run it for a while just to remember all the times i had on it. and just to try it out and compare it to newer frames.
but the frame has the ugly standard headset. ugghhh...
and i was wondering why they dont make these...



alot of people would buy them! i would make it less of a hassle and more people would buy integrated headsets...
it would be like a standard cup. but it would use integrated headset bearings instead of the old messy things.

leave a comment about what you think about this.

GETTTT CRUNKKKK!

3/3/2010 10:59 AM

Ummmm, I have a standard headset set up on my mtb. I am running a Chris King hs. It has sealed bearings just like the integrated set up. Just because it is a standard hs does not mean that it is loose ball or caged.

Proverbs 3:5-6

3/3/2010 6:18 PM

i know. but then you would never have to take the cups out and then you could just replace the int bearings.

GETTTT CRUNKKKK!

3/18/2010 2:55 PM

they do my friend bought one but dont know what brand it was

Refs. Harry 95/ BLRBMX/ WTP 4 ever/C@RT3R

2/13/2011 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2011 3:37 PM

I thought about this smae thing before! I dont know why these arent in production! i see a market for these and no one makes them easily accessable! I still see bmx completes with shitty old cup and bearing cage set ups at the bike shop! Plus alot of the newer forks are integrated headset compatable only! it looks like it would be easy to make too.

2/28/2011 5:38 AM

GetCrunk wrote: i know. but then you would never have to take the cups out and then you could just replace the int bearings.

that is what i do and all a standard headset is...is a cup and then the bearings are the same as an integrated that is why integrated are newer because the cups are built in

Just ride and stop being a DICK to the new kids

3/8/2011 9:40 AM

couldn't someone just buy a sealed standard headset if they want sealed bearings? isnt that all an integrated hs is?

IN NOMINE SATANUS

4/5/2011 10:00 AM

ihatepurplebikes wrote: couldn't someone just buy a sealed standard headset if they want sealed bearings? isnt that all an integrated hs is?

i agree because all your doing is switching to a sealed (cartrige) bearing. the intigrated was thought of because people didnt want to have a hassle of removing (cups). the whole conversion is retarded because may brands have their own styles that weigh less or are stronger but, still, they are just (sealed) bearings. why dont you just go with a fsa hs instead and save the trouble?

life unlike all others
i'm not.
bad ass bikes i couldn't do without
check my setup out here
email at jackass420foralife@yahoo.com

4/6/2011 11:21 AM

tinks wrote: I thought about this smae thing before! I dont know why these arent in production! i see a market for these and no one makes them easily accessable! I still see bmx completes with shitty old cup and bearing cage set ups at the bike shop! Plus alot of the newer forks are integrated headset compatable only! it looks like it would be easy to make too.

the forks thing is a very good point. i did not think of that. but still, the whole thing is ridiculous. if you got forks that require an integrated h/s, wouldnt you own or just buy a real frame? why put super nice forks on a crap frame?

IN NOMINE SATANUS

5/21/2011 9:45 PM

Hey guys, sorry to be annoying but please sign my petiton.
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/build-westridge-a-skatepark.html

8/8/2011 2:36 AM

integrated and standard are not exactly the same you can't just throw integrated bearings in a standard cup and roll with it, but I remember Cane Creek was always good for a sealed standard headset. check into a internal or semi-integrated headset made by Chris King and Cane Creek also for more info use this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headset_(bicycle_part)

N'at

BIKE CHECK

8/9/2011 12:49 AM

They will probably never make this 'adapter cup' idea, because it would lose them money. Why would a company make a $10 part, so you keep your old frame, when they can make all your shit obsolete, so you have to pay them a bunch of money for a new frame?


It's an Eastern, and it's fucking awesome.

8/15/2011 5:22 PM

the top bearings of an fsa pig (sealed) are the same as integrated headset bearings

11/10/2011 11:51 PM

tinks wrote: I thought about this smae thing before! I dont know why these arent in production! i see a market for these and no one makes them easily accessable! I still see bmx completes with shitty old cup and bearing cage set ups at the bike shop! Plus alot of the newer forks are integrated headset compatable only! it looks like it would be easy to make too.

ihatepurplebikes wrote: the forks thing is a very good point. i did not think of that. but still, the whole thing is ridiculous. if you got forks that require an integrated h/s, wouldnt you own or just buy a real frame? why put super nice forks on a crap frame?

just change the bearing race, comes off with a few taps from a hammer. place other one on forks n tap it down.

i will never die, my world will only end...[[[REFS,,, showtime402, _brendan

11/29/2011 2:23 AM

bmxryder2001 wrote: just change the bearing race, comes off with a few taps from a hammer. place other one on forks n tap it down.

the newer forks have the bearing race welded into place so it isnt that easy, i have the exact same problem with my S&M frame its a sweet frame but i fucked my old forks and now the only forks i can find that will fit a standard headset is the Odyssey classic dirts.

1/13/2012 12:36 AM

ihatepurplebikes wrote: the forks thing is a very good point. i did not think of that. but still, the whole thing is ridiculous. if you got forks that require an integrated h/s, wouldnt you own or just buy a real frame? why put super nice forks on a crap frame?

bmxryder2001 wrote: just change the bearing race, comes off with a few taps from a hammer. place other one on forks n tap it down.

grimxrider wrote: the newer forks have the bearing race welded into place so it isnt that easy, i have the exact same problem with my S&M frame its a sweet frame but i fucked my old forks and now the only forks i can find that will fit a standard headset is the Odyssey classic dirts.

theres gotta be some other forks that dont have the bearing race welded on...

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/26/2012 11:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2012 11:44 PM

Eimanatox wrote: They will probably never make this 'adapter cup' idea, because it would lose them money. Why would a company make a $10 part, so you keep your old frame, when they can make all your shit obsolete, so you have to pay them a bunch of money for a new frame?

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-HEADSETSSTANDARD/301014/Mechanik_STI_Sealed_Headset.html

i think thats what this is...

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/26/2012 11:45 PM

GetCrunk wrote: okay. well i have a retro mosh pro frame that ive had for YEARS!


i want to run it for a while just to remember all the times i had on it. and just to try it out and compare it to newer frames.
but the frame has the ugly standard headset. ugghhh...
and i was wondering why they dont make these...



alot of people would buy them! i would make it less of a hassle and more people would buy integrated headsets...
it would be like a standard cup. but it would use integrated headset bearings instead of the old messy things.

leave a comment about what you think about this.

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-HEADSETSSTANDARD/301014/Mechanik_STI_Sealed_Headset.html ;

i think this kinda does that

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

11/26/2012 2:52 PM

mechanix on dans comp has one for a standard to integrated headset and they also have American sealed bearings for a bottom bracket but you need the campy bearings which are 5 a piece you need 2 and mechanix piece is 22 dollars for 32 dollars you go sealed

12/9/2012 10:00 AM

Yeah just got the mechanik STI sealed headset for for 2000 standard frame. It allows u to use integrated forks on older frames. Had mine for a couple of weeks now ugly but works great. It was 22 dollars at danscomp

5/21/2013 5:41 PM

ihatepurplebikes wrote: couldn't someone just buy a sealed standard headset if they want sealed bearings? isnt that all an integrated hs is?

the issue with that, is that bmx forks, for anything name brand, are ONLY available with Integrated races. which means you have to have an integrated headset. the only solutions are to keep an obsolete fork, run a cheap no name brand that you might not trust, or create a conversion headset that uses the campy spec 45/45 bearings on a press in cup. there are a lot of riders out there that would rather pay the money for a new fork and headset than to buy a new frame that costs twice as much. fortunately, Mechanik (a house brand of danscomp.com) does in fact make an STI (standard to integrated) headset, but while practical, and cheap, i don't think i would trust anything other than the cups. otherwise it looks poorly made. but i agree that other brands and companies should catch onto this trend and provide a cheaper way to upgrade, instead of forcing riders to buy new frames for their forks.

5/21/2013 5:45 PM

tinks wrote: I thought about this smae thing before! I dont know why these arent in production! i see a market for these and no one makes them easily accessable! I still see bmx completes with shitty old cup and bearing cage set ups at the bike shop! Plus alot of the newer forks are integrated headset compatable only! it looks like it would be easy to make too.

ihatepurplebikes wrote: the forks thing is a very good point. i did not think of that. but still, the whole thing is ridiculous. if you got forks that require an integrated h/s, wouldnt you own or just buy a real frame? why put super nice forks on a crap frame?

bmxryder2001 wrote: just change the bearing race, comes off with a few taps from a hammer. place other one on forks n tap it down.

not quite so easy. newer forks with an integrated race on them, the race is actually machined as part of the steer tube. the only way you can get rid of it is by grinding it off and putting on a removable race, which if not done by a professional or experienced machinist, can potentially damage the integrity of the steer tube and the joint to the rest of the fork.

5/23/2013 10:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/23/2013 10:59 PM

ihatepurplebikes wrote: the forks thing is a very good point. i did not think of that. but still, the whole thing is ridiculous. if you got forks that require an integrated h/s, wouldnt you own or just buy a real frame? why put super nice forks on a crap frame?

bmxryder2001 wrote: just change the bearing race, comes off with a few taps from a hammer. place other one on forks n tap it down.

raymondthewolverine wrote: not quite so easy. newer forks with an integrated race on them, the race is actually machined as part of the steer tube. the only way you can get rid of it is by grinding it off and putting on a removable race, which if not done by a professional or experienced machinist, can potentially damage the integrity of the steer tube and the joint to the rest of the fork.

holy fucking bump man, check the dates first... people will probably give you shit for bringing back old threads, but yeah, welcome to vital


and newer forks dont always have them on, theres a few that dont or you have to like tap them on or whatever, not to mention this is from a few years ago and shits changed since then

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

Post a Reply to: standard headset with integrated bearings?

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm