4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Trying to raw my bike...

6/1/2014 11:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2014 12:03 PM

So I'm giving my bike a facelift.
Getting some new parts (just bars and soft parts) and I wanna raw all the gold/bronze spray painted stuff with stock paint underneath and get the front fly rim back to stock black without de lacing. So I have 3 questions:

What's the best stripper or other stuff I can use?

Can I just use stripper and a wire brush or will I need to rent a pneumatic wire wheel?

And will the front wheel definitely have to be unlaced to make it look acceptable?

I might just get black spray paint instead of clear coat so it doesn't have to be stripped perfectly, at least the front wheel, it's trued perfectly and I don't want to take it apart again.
I Need suggestions, I've never rawwed a bike.
Thanks guys.

6/1/2014 11:56 AM

Grimy

7/4/2014 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2014 5:14 PM

Did you do this yet?

If not....
First of all, you need to get that bike stripped down of all the components. You def can't do the work with it like that.

I would use Brass wire wheel. It will do a good job and not scratch the metal like the metal wire wheels will since they are extremely coarse. Brass is much gentler.

Do you know anyone with a sandblaster? Would be a heck of a lot easier...

As for the wheel. I would try scothbrite pads first. I think red is coarse, green is medium. You could scuff it up with the scotch brite and then just paint right over in black.

7/7/2014 1:00 PM

strip that bitch immediately, its an abomination. anyways use some good ole aircraft stripper, or anything hardcore. wear gloves, spray it or spread it all over all your parts that you want stripped. wait 20-30 minutes, and wash all the stripper off, the paint should wash off with it.

I love sketchy shit
this is my ride
Team Hazard for life.

7/10/2014 1:54 PM

Oven cleaner that bitch

"When I get a new bike I'm taking a shitload of pre-workout suppliments and going fucking crazy the first day and flip - whip off a roof !"

Check out my STOLEN whip here

7/13/2014 10:17 AM

A can of Aircraft stripper and some GLOVES are a must for this! I LOVE bmx paint jobs and shit.
MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ALL COMPONENTS PRIOR TO USING AIRCRAFT STRIPPER, let the stripper soak into the paint on the frame and start scrubbing everything off with a hard sponge after about 7-10 minutes.
You may have to attack trouble spots like in between frame welds and what not by repspraying those trouble spots and letting them soak a little more.
Personally, I would use NOTHING else but aircraft stripper because its mad powerful and removing paint and does it QUICK. follow it up with a wipe down using a rag and some isopropyl alcohol or acetone to remove any particulate on the surface of the frame being painted/stripped for a quick and painless cleaning process. Good luck m8

7/13/2014 10:19 AM

didnt realize how old this thread was. Hopefully OP has done it already and is the bike is riding now its been about a month lol if not OP you got some more good advice.
Post a Reply to: Trying to raw my bike...

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm