Tech Tips: Traveling with Your BMX Bike 31

Are you going on a trip with your BMX bike? Brian gives you some helpful hints.

Credit: Vital BMX
  • rick.barnes.311

5/21/2012 6:03 AM

I have the DK Golf bag and it doesn't work i traveled with american Airlines and they wanted to charge me $200 for it because its a sporting bag i ended up having it shipped it sucked im flying again and hoping i dont have trouble at least this time im prepared wit the cash.

• Garrett_Snellings

6/15/2011 1:46 PM

i need a flight bag i flew my bag to AZ with me and the noticed part of my frame sticking out and the nailed me with a 50 dollar fee

• Miller jr

10/11/2010 3:08 AM

a body board bag works aswell

• WAR!

7/6/2010 4:23 PM

But they put your back threw an xray machine, and they will still see the bike

• VBT

12/21/2013 12:18 PM

by the time its going thru the xray machiene, youre already on the plane and they cant change what they already charged you.

• Mage14

6/20/2010 10:19 AM

haha, im definitly doing that with a "sport" bag

• jack bmx

6/15/2010 7:17 AM

sick im gonna get one soon

• tothemax

6/14/2010 5:02 PM

you can go to wall mart and get a random golf club and thro it in there so if they ask you to open the bag your coverd cuz you have a actual golf club packed in there

• kowoo

12/13/2009 8:01 AM

tanks

• bigbarsbeard

12/13/2009 1:25 AM

the bag sucks in my opinion there is no support on the back of the bag so when your lugging it around the wheels dont even touch all it does is drag..........but i could be packing my bike wrong pretty sure im not but who knows

• olyolyoxenfree

12/10/2009 4:28 PM

Usually these are pretty gay but this was actually kinda helpful.

• Patrick SJ

12/10/2009 10:59 AM

I too have a DK Golf Bag and it works like a charm. I just make sure to really blatantly show them the embroidering that says "GOLF" and it's typically believable. Also, never underestimate the power of being nice to people, especially the airport workers. If you ask them how their day is going or just prove you're cool, they're so much more likely to let stuff slide.

• J-Muels

12/10/2009 8:41 AM

it costs only 50 bucks and 3 more days 2 mail it to wherever ur going, just make sure the post office knows that the bag needs to be held until u get there

• mangler

12/10/2009 8:01 AM

they key to this is playing it cool. and one thing you want to make sure of before you leave is that your bag is less than 50 lbs. last year zach warden(name drop!) and i were flying out of st louis. his ogio monster golf bag was over weight so he pulled it off the scale to remove some stuff, gate agent saw it wasn't golf clubs and boom, trouble. if you're using a golf bag, just make sure you don't ever open it. because if its not golf clubs its considered over sized luggage. and if its a larger bag i steer clear of anything dealing with the word "sport". just start rattling off lots of random things, "clothes, shoes, shaver, jacket..." the key to that is make it looks like its going to take a long time, and they don't want you to take time, they want you in and out. and i'm pretty sure a gate agent doesn't have the right to make you open a bag, only TSA officials can search your bag, and they won't care as long as its not a threat.

• pezcore1994

12/10/2009 7:54 AM

i used a bag for a bass guitar, and put my wheels in a suitcase, and all they did was leave a note saying they opened my bag and checked it for bombs and shit

• kylenoble

12/10/2009 7:24 AM

i have that bag and i went to get it at baggage claim and they called me to the baggage claim office. i get there nervous as hell and the guy says "your golf clubs are right there."

• sartellbmx480

12/10/2009 5:37 AM

ha cool ill remember that

• TaskerUK

12/10/2009 2:50 AM

I did this last year with an ogio monster golf bag... works like a charm

• RealJimmy

12/9/2009 11:34 PM

TIPS: wear like a golf player

• pantera91

11/29/2009 3:17 PM

Thanks for the tip but i got fined $290 for saying it was sporting goods and they ran it though an xray and fined me and this was at check in.

• ramsapes

11/18/2009 10:53 AM

expensive ass bag and then wat if u do get fined

might as well just buy a frame with that money