22" vs 24" Bike

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2017 12:41 PM

I'm 38 years old and getting back into this so I can ride with my son.

I grabbed him his first BMX this week - A Sunday Scout from my local shop.

They had a Sunday Model - C there they could sell me and the bike felt alright but isn't full chromoly.

I saw on Dan's Comp the Fit BF 22 which isn't full chromoly either but looks a little better built than the Model-C. I'm just curious if anyone would say the 22 bikes ride more like a cruiser or a BMX?

The other option I am looking at is the WTP Atlas - I just don't know that I wanna be on a 24" wheel but at the sametime, I am not a 15 year old kid anymore either - Don't wanna look like I am going through a mid-life crisis riding through the neighborhood.

I'm 6'1 about 210 lbs and the Scout definately felt small for me. I had to ride it off the seat. The Fit BF 22 seems like the frame etc is actually a little bigger than the WTP Atlas which is why I am considering the 22" over the 24"

Thanks!

|

4/13/2017 8:18 PM

I was looking at the BF22 pretty hard for a bit but I went with the Atlas. I was already riding a 24 though. A lot of guys say that 22's feel like their 20 did when they were young. If you're looking a 22'a DK makes a full chromo 22 that is the same price or cheaper than the Fit(I think). Don't worry about the Atlas's TT being a little shorter. I'm 6'1 as well and it's plenty big. You're not going to be wanting to do a lot seated pedaling on a 22 or 24 either. Unless you want to jack your seat way up.

|

4/14/2017 6:24 AM

If you just want to pedal around with your kid, the 24 will probably be more comfortable. If you want to do some tricks and jumps, ride parks, or if you want a nostalgia trip, I would go for the 22. It will feel a lot like your 20" did back in the day.
Best option of course is to ride both before buying, but the 22s may not be easy to find in stores.

|

4/14/2017 7:40 AM

Thanks for feedback!

The shops around me can get FIT and WTP but they have very limited stock and most of it is Sunday or Kink.

There is a bigger shop in my area with 3 - 4 stores and they look like they primarily stock Haro and SE (which I am not familiar with this company).

Nobody however has a 22 for me to jump on so I gotta make this decision based off what I find online.

|

4/14/2017 1:26 PM

SE makes a lot of cruisers and retro inspired bikes. They make a few interesting BMX hybrid bikes too. They're a pretty well-known company. Have you taken the Atlas out for a spin? Maybe go see how a 24 feels to you and maybe it will help you decide if you want to smaller.

|

4/14/2017 2:13 PM

I rode the BF 22 for a couple minutes (we have one at the shop) and it feels like a long BMX. I've ridden cruisers as well and they felt like a bigger bmx.

Either way will be good, depending on what your plans are for learning ON the bike.

Personally if I was in your spot I would go 22" just for the feel of a BMX. To me it was closer to my BMX than the 24" race cruiser we have. BUT I have been riding 20" for the last 18 years now.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/14/2017 11:08 PM

Unfortunately, nobody around here stocks WTP at all so I can't try the Atlas and nobody has a FIT bike of any kind stocked. My only real option for a test ride is the Sunday Model-C which I may need to go back to the shop and take a look at again.

Only thing stopping me from doing that is - I don't go back and waste the guys time on the 24" Model-C knowing if I decide to go that route I'm just going to be ordering the Atlas online.

I am digging the 22" FIT and I really do like the look alot better than the red Atlas. Its not full chromoly though which is a route I was wanting to go.

|

4/15/2017 7:17 PM

kurkis493 wrote:

Unfortunately, nobody around here stocks WTP at all so I can't try the Atlas and nobody has a FIT bike of any kind stocked. My ...more

The DK Vega is all chromoly https://dkbicycles.com/products/2017-dk-vega-22
|

4/23/2017 6:23 AM

kurkis493 wrote:

Unfortunately, nobody around here stocks WTP at all so I can't try the Atlas and nobody has a FIT bike of any kind stocked. My ...more

I'm in a similar situation. Was able to try the Sunday Model C locally, but I'd also like to try a 22". All the Fit dealers near me are sold out of the BF 22. So I have to decide whether to go with the Model C (which I liked) or if I should take a risk and order a 22 (which I'm guessing will be easier to hop with).

|

4/23/2017 7:32 PM

I ordered a Fit 22 and then ended up looking at the WTP Crysis because for an extra $40.00 you get what seems to be a much better bike. I've asked alot of people and everyone has said the 22 is gonna ride like a 20 with some guys saying if you are gonna go hard on the bike then why wouldn't you get the 20 because its gonna handle better for that sort of thing.

I called to change my order to the Crysis and when I talked to the guy at the shop he basically said he pulls his 24 out for everything but the park. He explained that the 20s are really built for park use compared to when we were kids and if I just want a bike with versatility then the 24 is going to be the answer. He said when it comes to being on the bike for longer periods of time the 24 and 20 are night and day. He said I can still hit jumps, trick and grind on the 24.

I went on to ask him about the 22 and he basically told me if I'm gonna go hard on the bike then I'm better off on a 20 otherwise I should go 24 for the reasons we discussed. I ended up picking up a WTP Atlas because it is the safer bet for me. The bike stock is really solid.

After a few months on the Atlas if I am finding that I want to go smaller then I will probably just custom build a 20. Maybe between then my local shop will have a 22 I can test out but from the feedback I've gotten the 22 is not a perfect balance between the 24 and 20.

If your decision is between a 24 and a 22 I'd say go 24 and if you are between a 22 and a 20 then I'd say look at the WTP Crysis. Since you can't ride the bike, you don't want to drop $540.00 on that Fit only to find you don't really like it.

To reinforce my decision, after I ordered the Atlas I was talking to the guy from Animal and he said he had some older friends who he just built 20s for on bigger frames and they really, really liked the bike. Said no real reason to go into a 22.

|

4/24/2017 5:40 PM

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. This helps a lot. I have a 20 but I'd like something a little bigger to commute downtown. I'd also like to be able to do some basic stuff on it while I'm out and about. Sounds like a 24 would do the job no problem.

My wife pretty much said the same thing about the Fit--pretty risky to order it without knowing if I'd like it. Still kind of tempted by the DK Vega 22 since it's cheaper.

Hope you post your thoughts about the Atlas once you've spent some time on it.

|

4/24/2017 5:48 PM

suttercane wrote:

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. This helps a lot. I have a 20 but I'd like something a little bigger to commute downtown. ...more

The Vega is better than the BF22 too. It's full chromo everything and the Fit is not.

|

4/24/2017 5:50 PM

kurkis493 wrote:

I ordered a Fit 22 and then ended up looking at the WTP Crysis because for an extra $40.00 you get what seems to be a much ...more

That's awesome. Which year Atlas did you get? I have the 2016 and I really like it. I want to get some more street tires or some kind of dirt street hybrid. So far that's the only thing I don't really like about it.

|

4/24/2017 6:01 PM

I bought the 2017 Atlas and 2 pairs of Animal Lino Pegs. I just actually finished putting it together about 10 minutes ago but its a pretty rainy day so I'll crank everything down in the next day or two. Red bikes are really not my thing but thankfully it the bike is alot darker to me than in the pics online.

I'm thinking I wanna swap to some black bars - Maybe after I ride it for a couple of days.

If you already have a 20 then I think the 24 is probably a no brainer for you. It is meant to ride better than the 22 and 20 and that is what you want if you are gonna be on the bike for long periods. Lightweight messing around on the bike isn't gonna be a problem.

|

4/24/2017 9:46 PM

Nice, I keep waffling on getting pegs or not. I used to do grinds when I rode a 20" but I found the pegs got in the way a lot for other things. I kinda just want to run 2 pegs on the left so I can learn hang fives and just one peg would be stupid. I might throw the gyro from my Haro X-24 on it too. I'm torn. I sort of want to leave it the way it is but with something like the Crazy Bob tire and keep it basic for the first year or so. I also want to try hang fives and try fire hydrants on a 24". smile

|