24" GHP -- Sprocket Thoughts

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2015 6:11 PM

Just picked up a really cool 24" GHP to replace an older 24" Haro that was stolen last Spring. Pretty excited about finally being on a cruiser again, especially on an awesome custom GHP that's super light, fast and nimble.

Anyway, right now, the sprockets are 36t/16t. I've been on the bike only a few times, but I'm pretty sure I'd be happier with a larger front sprocket, I've been burning myself out pretty quickly on some of those straightaways and I have to pedal just a little too fast to maintain a comfortable cruising speed.

Seems most people like to run 42/16 or 44/16 on 24"s. I'm not entirely sure which one would be better for me.

Would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts to help me make the right choice. Thanks!!!

|

10/9/2015 11:10 PM

I'm not entirely sure on which ratios are best, but I do know, that a 3 piece crank, and a larger sprocket are better for getting up to higher speeds and maintaining them. I plan on getting the WeThePeople Atlas 2015 and the sprocket looks slightly larger than other 24 inch bikes, so we will see how it goes. Do you have any pictures of your bike?

|

Ride Until The Day I Die

10/26/2015 5:33 PM

Find a gear rollout calculator and crunch some gear combinations. I'm running 39-17 on my 24" and it does make me spin fast to keep a good speed, but 44-16 would be way too much on uphills, at least for me. I've thought about going up to 41 on the front, but no higher than that. It works as it is for cruising the neighborhood, at any rate.

|

10/26/2015 5:59 PM

Hey thanks for trying to help. I went to 42/16. I have insane power and top end when doing sprints on flat straightaways. Climbing hills feels ok. I might experiment with 42/17 to see how that feels.

|

10/26/2015 6:23 PM

I'm 43 so I don't sprint much. My gearing reflects that, I guess.

|