24" Tires?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/20/2012 12:40 PM

I find it a little frustrating that there aren't enough choices for a good 24" tire. They are either to heavy, to light, to skinny, to fat or not the kind of tread pattern I like. I'd like something in the 2.0 to 2.2 range. Anyone have a favorite or a recommendation for me? I mainly ride dirt and a some park. Thanks!

|

4/20/2012 12:52 PM

I just went through this same thing a month or so ago, but I was looking for street/park tires. I like the Odyssey Path K-Lytes, but they're a bit heavy. The Odyssey Aitkens are REALLY big and heavy, they were too big for me. I've got a set with about 5 miles on them if you want 'em, although something tells me you've probably already got those. smile

I hear a lot of good things about the Tioga PowerBlocks, the Maxxis Holly Rollers, the Kenda K-Rads, and the Intense Microknobbies, but I have no experience with any of them.

|

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

4/20/2012 3:07 PM

iamtim wrote:

I just went through this same thing a month or so ago, but I was looking for street/park tires. I like the Odyssey Path ...more

I really do love my Odyssey tires but really wish they came in a folding version. That would be the perfect tire for me. Not to light, not to heavy and the perfect tread. I also really like the Microknobbies but they only come in a 1.85.

|

4/20/2012 8:18 PM

Yeah, that's all I know of. We 24" riders do kinda get shafted on tires, heh.

|

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

4/21/2012 9:09 AM

Runnin the path tires now but will tryin out Kenda Kiniption next they're 2.3 wide and have tread on the sidewalls
Not sure of the weight though(I hate when sites put weight in grams!!!)

|

4/21/2012 9:14 AM

|

4/22/2012 6:47 AM

I have the Path tires on my Wave C and KHE Macs on my NS. KHE makes a dirt tire thats really light. I have a brand new set of Paths I could sell you too if you wanted to try them out.

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

4/22/2012 11:33 AM

Just found these. They look like they would work pretty good. Nice happy medium between dirt & park. Not to heavy and not to light. Kenda Kranium http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicycle/dirt-jump-and-park/kranium.aspx

Has anyone tried these yet?

|

4/22/2012 6:48 PM

Jon Faure wrote:

Just found these. They look like they would work pretty good. Nice happy medium between dirt & park. Not to heavy and not ...more

I think I'm gonna get me a pair. Found'em for $45.May get'em before Woodward.

|

4/22/2012 7:45 PM

Those look nice, Jon. If you get 'em, let us know how they ride.

|

- Capt. Nemo

4/22/2012 8:35 PM

I only ride dirt on my 24. I'm currently running specialized [something] lites. good luck getting them from a shop though. they can get the 'non-lites' which aren't bad but the lighter ones are pretty damn light and have good tread for hard packed dirt.

I got mine on a P-24 complete.

|

4/29/2012 6:00 PM

I currently have KHE park tires 2.10 on my bike and really like them. Kenda also makes small block eights in 2.10 folding version, I have some on order now with danscomp.

|

4/30/2012 1:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2012 1:15 PM

Ordered me one of these:
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k1052-kranium-24-inch-tire-507?utm_campaign=products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base
Should be arriving tomorrow. I'll be running this on the back and a Kenda Small Block 8 on the front. I'll let you know what I think.

|

4/30/2012 3:13 PM

Jon, you see these?
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=34055&category=182

pretty fat but decently light too.

also check out chainreaction dot com for lots of 24 options. I wanna see the KHE dirt tires too...

|

5/1/2012 12:15 PM

I've tried those and didn't like them. I really thought I would like them but they felt too big and baloony.

|

5/1/2012 1:29 PM

Bummer! My Kenda Kranium just arrived and it doesn't fit. The 2.1 Kranium is bigger than my 2.1 Odyssey Path and the only way to make it work would be to add a link to my chain. Not worth the 1/2 pound difference.

|

5/1/2012 1:59 PM

Jon Faure wrote:

Bummer! My Kenda Kranium just arrived and it doesn't fit. The 2.1 Kranium is bigger than my 2.1 Odyssey Path and the only way ...more

If it doesn't fit you must acquit!!!
If you don't mind bring it to Woodward I'll buy it off ya!

|

5/1/2012 2:10 PM

Jon Faure wrote:

Bummer! My Kenda Kranium just arrived and it doesn't fit. The 2.1 Kranium is bigger than my 2.1 Odyssey Path and the only way ...more

goride70 wrote:

If it doesn't fit you must acquit!!!
If you don't mind bring it to Woodward I'll buy it off ya!

I definitely bring it. I may end up keeping it and putting it on the front. Not sure yet. Here's a link where you can get them for only $20 bucks. http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k1052-kranium-24-inch-tire-507?utm_campaign=products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base

|

5/1/2012 10:06 PM

Where are you getting the small block 8's? I don't see them on Danscomp.

Anyone know where you can get the KHE Mac2 dirt tires?

|

5/2/2012 8:08 AM

pnj wrote:

Anyone know where you can get the KHE Mac2 dirt ...more

Here's a link to Bicycle Warehouse for the Small Block 8's: http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product/kenda-small-block-eight-24-inch-48094-1.htm

My son tried the KHE Mac2's on his 20" and hated them. Tons of flats and no traction on hard packed dirt.

|

5/2/2012 8:16 AM

pnj wrote:

Anyone know where you can get the KHE Mac2 dirt ...more

Jon Faure wrote:

Here's a link to Bicycle Warehouse for the Small Block 8's: ...more

http://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/product/kenda-small-block-eight-24-inch-48094-1.htm

Fixed it for ya.
|

5/2/2012 8:34 AM

Thanks for the links. Those knobs might be too large for the trails up here though. we get a lot of moisture and knobs can tear the jumps up.

I had the Mac2's on my 20 and loved 'em. I don't think I ever got a flat with them. granted, I probably ride less/not as hard as your son.

Now that I'm over 40, I can afford to be a weight weenie. haha. smile

|

5/2/2012 3:18 PM

pnj danscomp doesnt keep them in stock, they had to order them for me. I wanted the folding version instead of the wired, couldnt find anyone that had them. They are supposed to be in Friday, maybe I will take a picture once they are on.

|

5/9/2012 6:53 AM

I just tried a 2.10 Powerblock on my Wave C. I cant slam the tire as it rubs the inside of the chainstay. I had to add a halflink but im not happy about it. My Wave C dropped from 27.12lbs to 25.84lbs by just swapping out my Odyssey tires.

|

Legit

Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

5/9/2012 11:01 AM

Hatebreeder wrote:

I just tried a 2.10 Powerblock on my Wave C. I cant slam the tire as it rubs the inside of the chainstay. I had to add a ...more

So that makes two different brand's tires that doesn't fit on the wave but yet they're the same size.
What's up with that??

|

5/9/2012 11:37 AM

I honestly have no idea. If you look at the inflated specs of the odyssey Path that I took off and the Powerblock that I installed, they are within .5mm difference of inflated width. My Path tire barely cleared, but it did. The Powerblock rubs a tiny bit on both sides of the chainstay. I have some KHE Macs I may try later and see if they fit. Im just not too crazy about the KHEs with all of the horror stories about flat tires.

|

Legit

5/9/2012 12:15 PM

Like Jon F. I tried the Kranium on the rear(same tire actually,thanks Jon)didn't fit unless you add a link.
The Kranium does look good and grip well on the front and is foldable and light. Imma look for a decent 1.95 tire
and call it a day!

|

5/9/2012 1:25 PM

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=64151

I have the foldable ones. They say you can buy them aftermarket but I and a friend had zero luck (the foldable ones, not the ones pictured)

|

5/12/2012 5:38 PM

I found these on Danscomp.Since a 2.1 won't fit on the rear of a WaveC(unless you add a link) this 1.95 should squeeze right in there.
http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-TIRESBMX/442011/Kenda_Konversion_Folding_Tire.html

|

5/13/2012 6:21 AM

small block 8s came in, I took a picture of the clearance on a liquid, they are 2.10s and very closed to slammed with some room to spare.

Photo

Photo

|