Anybody over 40 ride on here and over 6ft

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2016 2:38 PM

Hi guys I used to race and jump back in the 80s,but life moves on and kids come along,I loved bmx and watch videos all the time,would like to get back into bmx but I'm unsure if I'm to old now and far to tall at 6ft,I cannot even ride my lads 20"

|

9/8/2016 6:59 PM

43 y/o here and 6'4". I got back into bmx a little while back and started with a 24" SE loop tail retro bike. I love it for cruising but ended up getting a used 22" S&M ATF not long after.
The 22" wheel bikes are awesome for bigger guys, if you can afford one. Unfortunately there aren't really any cheap options to get ahold of one unless you can get one used, otherwise you're essentially building a custom bike.
Mine feels a lot like my 20" used to feel back in the day, the size difference from a 20" to a 22" is perfect.

|

9/10/2016 12:37 PM

loosegrips wrote:

43 y/o here and 6'4". I got back into bmx a little while back and started with a 24" SE loop tail retro bike. I love it for ...more

United makes a complete 22 now and is pretty nice. With dans 15% off code its a steal.

|

9/10/2016 2:41 PM

rolland bluntz wrote:

United makes a complete 22 now and is pretty nice. With dans 15% off code its a steal.

Thanks for the heads up, it's awesome that they are offerring a mid priced 22" complete. They do look like a sweet deal for the $, the only complaint I would have is the 21.5 TT being the only size. I would guess they will offer more size options as time goes on.

Hopefully the 22" bikes will become more popular sooner rather than later, it would be nice to have more options for rims and tires.

|

11/8/2016 1:06 PM

loosegrips wrote:

43 y/o here and 6'4". I got back into bmx a little while back and started with a 24" SE loop tail retro bike. I love it for ...more

rolland bluntz wrote:

loosegrips wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, it's awesome that they are offerring a mid priced 22" complete. They do look like a sweet deal for ...more

The FIT BF22" is also a good complete option. $539 new, complete.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/107203/2017_Fit_BF_22_Bike_(Brian_Foster).html
|

11/12/2016 11:31 AM

Check Encore bikes too if you're looking for a 22" complete.

http://encorebikes.com/2017-anthem-22-black-red.htm

[LINK TO IMAGE]

They do a 24 similar to the Sunday Model C as well:

http://encorebikes.com/2017-coda-24-trans-black.htm

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

11/12/2016 11:35 AM

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 40 and I have a Haro X24 but it's not what I really want. I bought it on a whim with little research so I'm looking for something more modern. After looking around a lot and asking a bunch of questions I decided to go for this:

Photo

http://colonybmx.com.au/products/2017-colony-eclipse-24/

Just have to sell a couple of things and I'll be ordering it asap.

|

11/12/2016 3:41 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 40 and I have a Haro X24 but it's not what I really want. I bought it on a whim with little ...more

That's cool, you're gonna get a Colony. I do think getting some Sunday 24umph bars for your Haro will make a massive difference in how it feels.

http://www.sundaybikes.com/gear/bars/24umph-xl-bar/
|

11/12/2016 4:39 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 40 and I have a Haro X24 but it's not what I really want. I bought it on a whim with little ...more

cmc wrote:
That's cool, you're gonna get a Colony. I do think getting some Sunday 24umph bars for your Haro will make a massive ...more

Yeah, I was going to grab some bars and then I was looking at upgrading my wheels, which would mean a new sprocket as well(for the gearing to make sense)and I need new pedals. By the time I upgrade the Haro to get it to feel more like the Colony I'll be at 600 bucks and I can get the Eclipse for 700ish(yeah I know but I'm in Canada so that's not bad). This way I get exactly what I'm after and my wife get's to ride the Haro so now my whole family will be rolling on BMX bikes which makes me happy. Now I just have to wait for my music gear to sell so I can grab my bike. Hoping to have it sorted for Christmas but we'll see.

|

11/25/2016 9:12 PM

Well, I couldn't get the Eclipse because they aren't available here until spring so I got a 2016 WEP Atlas today. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but man what a beautiful bike.

|

12/29/2016 5:15 PM

40 and 5'11" 20.5-21 top tube, long top load stem, 9 inch bars and I'm fine.

Did buy a redline MX24 last week. I raced BITD and love alum frame bikes. Won't be doing park with it. Still need taller bars.

|

1/16/2017 7:57 PM

I'm 43yo and 6'-4" tall with a bad lower back to boot so I found it pretty hard to ride most BMX bikes when I started back into biking a couple years ago.

The WTP Atlas with some 9.25" tall bars (stock bars are 7.5") does fit me really well. It may not be the greatest bike ever but it's really good and fits well any time I want to go to the park with my kid or to ride at places like Ray's MTB or the Mega Bike park in Louisville. Great bike for a complete and I have not had one problem or complaint about the components in two years. The Atlas fit me better than the Sunday Model C because the BB is lower which makes it easier for a taller, older ride to be comfortable on it. The Model C is more a true 20" grown to 24" park bike.

When we go to the BMX track I bring the DK xxl race bike with 9.75" bars on it and that fits well too but I'm certainly more hunched over than on the Atlas. You're not on the bike very long at the BMX track and the riding is a little different so I can tolerate this but I never ride that bike anywhere else because I'm just not that comfy on it anymore.

I also have a specialized P3 with 3" riser bars on it. No, it's not a true BMX bike but it fits me well and it's all I bring to Ray's anymore. It's definitely spongy feeling compared to the Atlas but it's easier on my old parts and jumps better than anything else I have.

|

WTP Atlas 24"
Specialized P3
SE OM Flyer 26"
SE Big Ripper 29"
DK Pro Elite XXL 20"
Powerlite P61 XL 20"

6/12/2017 3:53 AM

Hi, 56 and 6,1, and I have a Sunday Model C 2015,

Unfortunately i never had a BMX back in the day, although i have 45 years experience as a slow MX racer, for whatever that is worth.

My 12 year old has his BMX bike so we cruise the streets and skate parks, although I only watch at the indoor bowls.

Having no prior experience with BMX allows me to enjoy this Sunday C without knowing how good or bad it really is.
It was previously owned and 24"s are rare here in Australia.

Mark.

|

6/12/2017 8:24 AM

inthebadboycorner wrote:

Hi, 56 and 6,1, and I have a Sunday Model C 2015,

Unfortunately i never had a BMX back in the day, although i have 45 years ...more

Model C's are nice bikes. It'd be nice if they would say what the frame is made of but they seem to be able to take a pretty serious beating and have some nice parts on them. Get in that bowl. smile

|