Help me spend money!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2013 6:09 AM

So I recently got back into bmx after a 15+ year break so that I could ride with my son who is just starting to ride (He's 7). I picked up a WTP zodiac and although I can't really do much with it yet, I am enjoying it quite a bit. I know I'm gonna need to practice quite a bit to be able to keep up with some of the younger kids!

However, My wife and kids still love to go on pretty long bike rides, and I am finding that my bike doesn't really suit me for lazy afternoon riding, and I can't even think about pedaling sitting down!

I'm hoping to get a few ideas from other people who have made the switch, or have multiple bikes for different occasions. I just can't see myself on a MTB or a road bike... I am not going to need gears or speed... just a bit more comfort! I don't mind spending the money on a nice bike, as long as I am going to enjoy it!

I have been looking at the sunday 24" but I am unsure if it will really be big enough for me to sit down and be comfortable on while pedaling. Also I was checking out the WTP Champ, and although it has less BMX styling, it looks it might be pretty close to what I am looking for.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two bikes, or recommendations on something else that might fit what I'm looking for?

|

8/6/2013 7:11 AM

Go with the Sunday and get a Primo 320mm post for a more comfortable ride. The Model C rides like a bmx, so if you're out on one of those long rides and the urge to shred hits you all you have to do is drop the seat down.

|

8/6/2013 8:18 AM

DeGrizzle, a 24" bike is fine to sit and pedal. There is a really nice 12 mile ride along the water near my home that I ride with my wife and child on my MirraCo 20Forty 24". I tried out 20" bikes too, but the new-school geometry, although conducive to tricks, air, and riding fast on trails, is not so good for just pedaling around. The laid back seat tubes always make me feel like I'm about to slide off the bike when I sit down.

I haven't ridden a 26" bike that wasn't an old-school touring or road bike. The Champ looks nice too, though.

Are you just tooling around with the family? If you were thinking about starting to ride a bicycle for commuting, you might want to look at some of the hybrids. Hybrids aren't good for jumping, but something with narrower wheels gives you less rolling resistance on pavement which makes handling uphill a lot easier. Hybrid bikes are okay for well-groomed trails, and the top-end speed of a hybrid is superior to single-gear bikes.

I love my MirraCo, but my Giant Escape 2 is my work horse.

|

8/6/2013 9:48 AM

Yeah, as far as commuting goes, I only live about 1.5 miles from work, and its all flat pavement, so I'm not too worried about hills, speed, etc. The sunday does look like a cool bike, I just want to be sure it won't be too small for tooling around with the fam.

Are there any other bikes that are similar in geometry and quality to the Sunday? It seems like this might be kind of a niche market! We have a bike shop nearby with literally hundreds of bikes in it... and I'm sure I could find a hybrid that would be both comfortable and high quality that would suit my needs, but I keep getting drawn back to the BMX style bikes!

|

8/6/2013 11:20 AM

No... sunday rides better than most. I wish they made 22" bikes

|

8/7/2013 8:05 PM

DeGrizzle wrote:

Yeah, as far as commuting goes, I only live about 1.5 miles from work, and its all flat pavement, so I'm not too worried about hills, speed, etc. The sunday does look like a cool bike, I just want to be sure it won't be too small for tooling around with the fam.

Are there any other bikes that are similar in geometry and quality to the Sunday? It seems like this might be kind of a niche market! We have a bike shop nearby with literally hundreds of bikes in it... and I'm sure I could find a hybrid that would be both comfortable and high quality that would suit my needs, but I keep getting drawn back to the BMX style bikes!

If your thinking you are drawn to BMX.....go with the Sunday 24....before you know it you will be back on a 20. Love mine! We the gateway for my getting a 20 and 22.

|

Refs: SuperstarDK,TCBmx., robinson79, Scubasteve

21four 87six 542five