Is my 2017 Atlas defective?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2017 4:08 PM

This is hard to explain in writing. Short story, I can not tighten my seat post enough to keep the post from moving or if I sit and pedal, eventually sliding down. You can see the marks from sliding in the photo. I have tried three seat posts, the factory one, a long Kink post and a Shadow Conspiracy post.

I also go through seat post bolts, basically, getting it tight enough to ride bends the bolt enough that it cross-threads when I try to remove it. I literally have purchased a bag of seat post bolts from Dan's.

It appears the seat tube is too large, so when I tighten it, the tube is out of round, the post is pinched where the tube is split and the two tabs the bolt goes up against go past parallel. Photo attached.

I sent a note to WeThePeople two weeks ago, no response from the company. Kind of disappointed.

Photo

|

9/24/2017 7:41 PM

I found it hard to tighten the post clamp on my 2016. I broke a bolt after having the same sliding seat problem you have. I just went to the shop and got new bolt. It's fine now. I just find the integrated clamp to be very stiff. I had to tighten slowly and carefully. Had no problems with cross threading. Hopefully they get back to you. Try them on Facebook.

|

9/26/2017 7:39 AM

Based on the witness marks on your post, it looks like you have burrs on the inside of your seat tube. Probably from the slot machining process but could be from welding, etc...; I'd pull the post, carefully stick you finger in there & feel for an sharp edged. If it feels like there's even anything uneven or sticking out into the post area, take a round file & file those sections down until it's smooth. Then go back to the post & file down whatever burrs you may have created from the initial damage. Then grease the tube & reinsert the seat/post.

As for your actual question, I doubt they would call that a "defect"

|

12/7/2017 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2017 9:52 AM

Why don't you make a shim? Anything would probably work. A plastic bag, or sheet of paper. Whatever you have laying around. Soda can might be too thick, but worth a shot.

|

12/31/2017 4:10 AM

I know this is an old thread but for anyone who searches for a seat tube too big you can use a wedge post.

|

Hmmm