MirraCo Black Label rear hub

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2013 5:25 PM

So, I've been having a good time on my 2012 MirraCo 20Forty. It's too much fun to ride. Like all the bicycles though, it requires maintenance. So, I took the thing apart in order to give it a thorough cleaning and lube. I had never done this before, but I wanted to learn so when I went to repaint the frame next month it wouldn't be so difficult re-assembling the thing.

This started last Sunday, the 24th. After much hammering and cursing, I got the bottom bracket out and proceeded to clean everything. the headset felt fine, but I removed the front end anyway. It took me 2 days to reassemble the bottom bracket. One bearing went in without issue, I had to make an improvised bearing press to get the other side in straight. So on thursday, it was time to clean and re-grease the rear hub. I watched several videos and felt confident I could do this. After 30 minutes of trying to break the lock nut free and another hour letting penetrating oil get into the lock nuts, they were not coming loose. I figured that like some other parts on the bike, MirraCo had used lock-tite on the threads and I just didn't have the proper tools to keep everything from turning so I took the wheel down to the LBS. The local shop said that they would take apart the hub, regrease it all, and true the wheel for $15.00. They also told me that I could pick it up in 90 minutes. Awesome.

By the way, this was on Thursday.

I wasn't able to pick up the wheel until today because, it seems, this was the rear hub from hell. They broke several wrenches trying to get this thing apart, but they were able to do it finally. It sounds much better now...much quieter...the clicking was doing my head in. The wheel is true.

At any rate, the bike shop that I took it to is called the Bike Vault/T. Ryx in Escondido, CA. I highly recommend the place even though it took more time than they said it would.

My final thoughts are in these:

a) I'm so glad I had someone else do this. Even though I love working on my bike, I don't think I could have resisted pounding on the whole fucking wheel with a ball-peen hammer after 6 or 7 hours of trying to get the hub apart.

b) I might need to get a new wheel set this Summer.

Next up, is painting the frame. I'm thinking a flat gray overcoated with transparent red. I've got a raw, Sunday Freeze stem, a red Ezra Equis sprocket, a black full-link chain, black pedals, and a black Primo fat seat. I think the gray with a couple of coats of trans candy-apple will look awesome. I'm going to have to repaint the forks too since I replaced the bars with flat black 8.5" rise bars. No big deal, just matte black instead of the gloss black they are now.

|

4/2/2013 5:13 PM

Right on, I love my 20Forty as well. I've taken it all apart and put it back together save the bottom bracket and the rear wheel, heh. I'm not real fond of the Black Label rear hub, mine mis-engages every once in a while. Other than that, though, I love it. And I love hearing about other 20Fortys out in the wild.

|

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo