Mirraco or Stolen

Related:
Create New Tag

4/18/2013 12:38 AM

Alright so I used to ride a LOT when I was in high school, but haven't ridden BMX in about 8 years or so. I used to ride park and street, and I wasn't very easy on my stuff. I picked up a 26" full suspension MTN bike a couple years ago and love to ride it, but it's not the same. Now I want to get back into BMX, but at 6'3" I don't care to get back on a 20". Wish there were some rad 24s then like there are now!

Anyways, debating between a couple different bikes. I can get a 2011 Mirraco 20forty for about $200. Only ridden twice, so it's still basically brand new. I like the full chromoly frame and forks. Also considering a stolen saint. It seems like it has better geometry for street/park riding, but not sure about it since it doesn't have a full chromoly frame (unless I cough up the money for a saint XLT, which would be my first choice if money weren't an issue.)

The bike will for sure see park/street riding, and maybe some dirt here and there. Like I said, I used to ride a lot so I'm not a complete newb. It's just been a while since I've been into it. Which bike do you guys think would hold up better? I've read just about all I can about these bikes, but want some actual opinions between the 2. Thanks.

|

4/18/2013 3:13 PM

I have a 2012 Mirraco 20Forty and it has its merits. The frame is excellent. The rims, forks, and rims are really good for the price. The cranks, pedals, and rear hub are not bad. I didn't like the pedals or the chain at all. The Kenda tires absolutely lick dirty dog balls. It comes with good stock bars, but I replaced them with something with a bit more rise because I didn't want to hunch over.

As it is, I've put another $150.00 into the Mirraco in upgrades. Nothing broke, but I wanted the bike the way I wanted it. I have replaced the tires with Odyssey Paths, the bars with Amber Veil 8.5", the chain with an Amber 700 full-link, the pedals with Shadow Ravager PCs, the grips with Duo Martinez, the stem with a Sunday Freeze TL, and the sprocket with an Ezra Equis 28 tooth. I will probably be putting another $200.00 to replace the hoops and the rear hub this Summer.

Whereas the Stolen XLT has geometry that is a little more street/park oriented. If I had had the money (or the patience to save) I probably would have gone with the new XLT...of course, I probably would have made a good portion of the same upgrades I made to the MirraCo anyway.

I'd say the two are comparable it just depends on how much you want to spend.

A third option would be if you can find a 2010 Sunday Model C lightly used, it would be the way to go, hands down. The 2010 because that is the only complete Model C that has the full chromoly frame.

At your height and considering the fact that you are going to be tricking on it, I think you absolutely have to go with a full chromoly frame and double-walled rims front and back. If you go with any hi-tensile in the frame, it's probably not going to last very long.

|

4/18/2013 6:14 PM

22 inch wheels are now being made. S&M has the Holmes frame and are making a new 22 inch (wheel size is 22 inch) frame soon.

Might be something to look into.

Also, Sunday makes a sick 24, as mentioned.

|

4/19/2013 3:12 PM

Checking out the 20forty tomorrow morning. I'll most likely be coming home with it, decided to jump on it for the price ($200)

|

4/20/2013 1:20 PM

Got the MirraCo today, and went straight to the bike shop for new bars and a longer seat post. Got 8" S&M slam bars (same bars I used to run on my old Kink I built up) and a 320mm S&M seat post. Got the bigger seat post cus I'll be using this bike to commute too, so I wanted to be able to raise the seat way up. Next thing to change will be the brakes. I'm used to the hydraulic brakes on my mtn bike, maybe I've just been spoiled but these brakes feel mushy.

First ride, and I love it. Took 3 tries and I had 180s back. Still working on getting the 360s again. I'll post a pic in the other thread.

|

4/20/2013 4:11 PM

Took a 7 mile ride up the riverbed to a train station today. Passed by a lot of our old spots, fun times!

This thing needs a new seat for longer rides.

Anyone care to buy the stock handlebars or pivotal post?

|

6/6/2013 10:21 AM

I just bought a stolen Saint xlt I haven't rode skate parks in about 8 years I have a S&M holms that I used to ride in parks and the the saint rides pretty much the same as that bike it is a great Cruiser I am 6 foot 5 the only thing I did to the Saint so far was put a longer neck and I'm going to put the S&M perfect 10 bars on there just because I am a tall person and I put a longer seat post because I can't ride with the seat down on the frame it feels like I hadnt stop riding if you ever decide to ride it on a track you might want to think about going to a 23 in front cuz its really hard to
pedal

|

6/14/2013 10:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2013 11:01 AM

I love my Saint XLT just got the copper one n its soo sik! I put taller bars on it and i cant imagine it any other way(im 5ft8in). The raised bottom bracket makes it effortless to bunnyhop. Im loving these sweet revolver rims im 220lbs jumpin three stairs only.And female axels hubs! Can i run pegs on these hubs? Oh and no gyro tabs but i guess i can drill em myself. Might put a taller seat post depending on if i use it for commuting. Idk if my 28 tooth sprocket will fit either. 25tooth mite b the max.ill post closeup pics.cuz i couldnt find any online at all.

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

6/14/2013 11:52 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

6/14/2013 11:55 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
I put a pic if my 20inch to show the bottom bracket comparison

Photo
|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

6/21/2013 3:36 PM

I just put my new parts on my stolen saint xlt S&M perfect 10 a snap s2 pro stem a animal Vinnie lite 23 tooth sprocket a 320 mm pivotal seat post the bars are kind of tall but fill good i am 6'4 Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/21/2013 3:56 PM

Nice! hows the 23t feel? i goin fast soo i wanna go 28 but i think 25 is the max

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

6/21/2013 4:51 PM

The 25 was ok but i ride at the bmx track with my kids and the 25 was way to hard to pedal out of the gate so thats why i went to a 23 the 23 fills good it like having a 40 / 18 the bars r kind of tall i might take out the spacer but i love how wide they r

|