Need help deciding what to learn the basics on...

Related:
Create New Tag

4/22/2017 10:57 PM

Need help deciding on what to learn the basics on. Ive narrowed it down to the Fit BF 22 and the Colony Eclipse 24. A little about myself and what I'm looking to do. I'm 45 and 5' 9" at 190 lbs trying to get down to 175 lbs. The bike will be used about 40% of the the time to cruise around the beach 50% of the time learning the basics like bunny hops, manuals, fakies, 180's ect. and about 10% riding at a local concrete skate park learning how to ride bowls.I haven't ridden a BMX style bike in about 29 years but I am anxious to give it a go. I did ride a SS 29er on the street for about a year and while it was fun I couldn't do the tricks I wanted to do on it so progression became stagnant and it started gathering dust. I'm the kind of person who enjoys a challenge and gets a feeling of accomplishment when I make progress in an activity so whatever advice you guys could give me on bike selection and learning/relearning freestyle BMX riding would be greatly appreciated.

|

4/24/2017 5:54 PM

I was torn between the BF 22 and the Colony for a bit. Turns out that both were a huge pain in the ass for me to get here(I'm in Canada)so I got a WTP Atlas 24. I really like 24's but 22's seem really fun. You can do hops and 180's and stuff on a 24 no problem. Check the thread above. The guy in that thread went with a 24 and he explains his reasoning. Can you try either of those bikes out to see how they feel?

|

4/24/2017 11:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2017 4:11 AM

I read the post you mentioned in the 24" vs 22" thread and his reasoning seems sound. Unfortunately in south east NC BMX is almost nonexistent so none of the bike shops around me carry BMX bikes outher than cheap 20" completes for young children so test rides where out. So I crossed my fingers and ordered a Colony Eclipse from Dan's Comp. It should be here late Wednesday. The way i see it if I really enjoy riding the Eclipse and feel I want to go smaller I can always build a 22" from the frame up later.

|

4/25/2017 12:39 AM

NCSean wrote:

I read the post you mentioned in the 24" vs 22" thread and his reasoning seems sound. Unfortunately in south east NC BMX is ...more

Nice, I really wanted the Eclipse but they weren't available in Canada until probably nowish. Seems like a really nice bike.

|

4/25/2017 4:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2017 4:19 AM

The WTP Atlas was on my short list. Its really a superior built bike compared to the Colony Eclipse from the cast dropouts to the 48 spline cranks it's all quality. The two things I didn't like about it for me where the BB height and HT angle it seems to lean more dirt jumper than street/park. How are you liking it?

|

4/25/2017 8:14 PM

NCSean wrote:

The WTP Atlas was on my short list. Its really a superior built bike compared to the Colony Eclipse from the cast dropouts to ...more

I like it a lot more than the Haro Backtrail X-24 I have - which is all dirt. The Atlas is kinda of a cross between the Model C or Eclipse(exact same geometry) and a more traditional cruiser. The BB is an inch higher than my Haro and the head tube is 1 degree mellower than the Eclipse. I thought I would not like the BB height(I thought it would be too low). It's been a horrible winter here and it's just starting to not rain 24/7, which is good because I was going insane. I haven't ridden for more than 15 or 20 hours yet. It's superior in every conceivable way to the Haro. And it's nice and light, it's easy to hop and easy to get the front end up. All I've really done with it is pathetic manuals (super slow two parking spots) and shitty hops while cruising around with my son. And I practiced hopping for an hour or so one day. I think you could probably ride anything with it though it doesn't feel too mellow or remotely twitchy. Once I get streetier tires on it I think it will be perfect for what I want to do with it, which is manuals, small street stuff(3 or 4 stairs)learn how to ride trails, general noodling around with my kid. He wants to get into racing this year, I don't think I will, but I'd love to pump around the track.

The Atlas wasn't even on my list because I saw it on a Canadian site for 1200 bucks CAD and my budget was more like 800. I got a great deal on the 2016 locally that I couldn't pass up.

TLDR, I haven't ridden my bike that much yet but I really, really like it. smile

|

4/25/2017 9:43 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I like it a lot more than the Haro Backtrail X-24 I have - which is all dirt. The Atlas is kinda of a cross between the Model ...more

Sounds like a great all around bike. Kind of makes me second guess my decision to go with the Eclipse over the Atlas. Oh well too late to change my mind now as its due for delivery tomorrow. I know one thing though I better like it or my wife's gonna kill me for dropping $458.96 on a bike I don't even like LOL. Keep practicing those manuals and hops they will get farther and higher in no time.

|

5/9/2017 6:01 PM

Did you get your bike yet?

|