Old fart getting back in the game. Have questions about 24" brands.

Related:
Create New Tag

12/22/2019 10:39 AM

I've been out of BMX for quite some time. The last BMX I rode was my 1980 Powerlite Pro.
Right now I'm looking to get into a 24" BMX. I've been doing quite a bit of research, but the more I read online...the more confused I get.
I'm looking for more of a freestyle/jumper vs a full on race bike. I guess you could say I'm looking to dabble in all of it. I have narrowed my choices down to three bikes.
1) WTP Atlas @ 769.00
2) Stolen Saint @ 509.00
3) Sunday Model C @ 479.00
Pretty sure everyone will agree WTP is pretty much top of the line, but not sure I want to spend that much. The Sunday frame is not 100% cromo downtube and drop outs only.
I'm up in the air with Stolen, 100% cromo, but I've read on other forums that the frames crack, forks bend and their components suck.
I'm really not interested in any of the mainstream BMX bikes (redline,haro,mongoose). Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

|

12/22/2019 6:28 PM

The Atlas is a really nice bike. I have the 2016. The Sunday is overpriced hiten steel. I don't really know much about the Stolen but I'd take that over the Sunday.
Have you thought about a 22" bike. Same size frame as a 24 but feels like smaller bike. 24s are fun but a little clunky and almost feel more like small mountain bikes. Still fun but since riding a 22 I've given my Atlas to my wife.

|

12/22/2019 10:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2019 11:59 PM

williambmac wrote:

I've been out of BMX for quite some time. The last BMX I rode was my 1980 Powerlite Pro.
Right now I'm looking to get into a 24" BMX. I've been doing quite a bit of research, but the more I read online...the more confused I get.
I'm looking for more of a freestyle/jumper vs a full on race bike. I guess you could say I'm looking to dabble in all of it. I have narrowed my choices down to three bikes.
1) WTP Atlas @ 769.00
2) Stolen Saint @ 509.00
3) Sunday Model C @ 479.00
Pretty sure everyone will agree WTP is pretty much top of the line, but not sure I want to spend that much. The Sunday frame is not 100% cromo downtube and drop outs only.
I'm up in the air with Stolen, 100% cromo, but I've read on other forums that the frames crack, forks bend and their components suck.
I'm really not interested in any of the mainstream BMX bikes (redline,haro,mongoose). Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am too an old fart recently back into the game.

As highly recommended to me by a pro rider, seniors such as ourselves should really:

1. Go 100% cromo on the frame and forks
2. Test Ride a number of different models

For two (2) reasons:

1. Although we may not shred our bikes as we did in our youth we are bigger and heavier now.
2. I was totally set on getting a 20" and was even flirting with the idea of a 22" but after a few test rides over two weekends I found that a 26" FGFS with BMX geometry was by far the best fit for me, my height, and riding style.

Food for thought. You may find that a 20" is perfect for you rather than a 24".

|

12/27/2019 7:17 AM

I have test ridden a couple of bikes at Scotty Cranmers place in Howell NJ.
Sunday Model C 24"
Subrosa Malum 22"
SE So Cal Flyer 24" (ugly colors)

@ 6' 235lbs I am definitely more comfortable on the 24" bike. I tried hopping on my kids P.K. Ripper XL, and found a 20" is definitely out of the question.
My local bike shop is a WTP dealer, but he refuses to order in an Atlas just for a test ride. Said if I don't like it...it will sit on his showroom floor forever. He was trying to push me toward a mountain bike, but I already own 3 high end mtb's.
I would love to build my own, but spec'd out the way I want it would be close to 2k. My wife would shoot me.
I'm basically buying this thing so I can cruise around with my kids, hit the locate skate park and pump track. All of which is no fun on a MTB.

|

12/27/2019 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2019 8:48 AM

Gotcha. Have you considered a 26" Single-Speed MTB with a rigid fork designed for Street/Freestyle as another option?

Myself, even the 24" bikes felt too small and thus why I hunted around for a 26" until I found a full crmo FGFS frame with a 23" Top Tube and BMX-like geometry.

|

12/28/2019 6:11 AM

I have 3 mtb's already
1) original GT Avalanche le. back when GT made good bikes.
2) Rocky Mountain Element 30
3) Rocky Mountain Slayer 30
All bought from my brothers bike shop, when he owned one.

I did try riding an SE Mike Buff Ripper 26" it felt a little big for what I wanna do with it.

Right now it's a toss up between a WTP Atlas and a Colony Eclipse. I'm kinda leaning towards the Colony because it's a couple hundred dollars less. I know myself. The bike won't stay stock for long and to spend close to 800.00 on a bike, then start replacing parts.Seems like a waste.

I did toy with the idea of building an S&M ATF or Steel Panther but that would put me in the 1700-2k range. Wife would rip my privates off!

|

12/28/2019 8:09 AM

Funny, I seriously considered a New, Old Stock Colony Eclipse myself... full crmo, 22" TT, and very light at 12kg. It was more comfortable than the WTP Atlas that I tested especially with me long legs and all and I certainly found the Eclipse's geometry to be more cruiser oriented than the Atlas.

It was only my 34/35" long leg inseam that prevented me from pulling the trigger on buying it. I decided I really needed a 23" TT which meant a 26" frame and I am happy that I have gone this route.

|

12/28/2019 11:33 AM

The Eclipse is really nice. I wanted one when I got my Atlas but couldn't get one here at the time.

|

12/28/2019 4:01 PM

A would say @ 369 planet bmx Haro group one is a no brainer. I’m 47 years young. Look up my post on this bike...

|

2008 Colony Endeavor

2004 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra "Handmade in the USA"

1999 K2 Zed X, LX/XT, Mavic 517's, Mavic DX hubs, etc.etc.

1999 Kona Fire Mountain, wife's rig
2013 Taurus SHO, Unleashed tuning, 12 second family hauler...

12/28/2019 4:15 PM

|

2008 Colony Endeavor

12/28/2019 4:18 PM

|

2008 Colony Endeavor

12/29/2019 8:20 AM

Well the Colony is now out, no longer in stock and unavailable.
So it looks like I'll be getting a WTP Atlas.

I am still looking at Stolen Saint, but I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the Saint and Saint XLT.
It looks like the XLT is no longer available. Did it have better components, just curious.

|

1/2/2020 9:29 AM

Ordered The Stolen. Once it arrives I’m sending the frame and forks to get powder coated. The fun begins

|

2/16/2020 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 10:23 AM

So here it is...… I added some Snafu components to make it pop a little. My son being a huge fan of Scotty Cranmer insisted on the jet fuel flavoring. Cant wait for a change in the weather so I can take her for a spin.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/21/2020 10:43 AM

I do like the Stolen Saint, hate I have to get it from overseas (can't find a decent price black one in US).

Hopefully get on in a month or so.

|

4/2/2020 2:07 PM

I finally got my Saint ordered today, be a week or two before I get it, but can't wait to ride.

|