S&M ATF/LSD - Build Thread

Related:
Create New Tag

11/25/2017 1:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2017 9:10 AM

Hello all,
Joined today to share my project, get tips/advice and generally see what people think of my planned creation.
I have been out of biking for a decade. I used to ride DH in my early 20s, just as a hobby not pro or anything. A year ago, I had a itch to start building a bike. Something I could throw around in the trails, cruise around town on and attempt to learn how to manual.
A BMX seemed like the right path....20s were too much of a downsize from my old biking days so I started looking at 26ers when I came across 24s. That’s the puppy!
From the start of this idea, I wanted disc brakes. Not strictly used on BMXs I discovered and something of a ‘marmite’ topic? After considering a few frames from indust and similar less well known brands. I found S&M. Their frames were right up my street. I contacted them after seeing they had done a prototype ATF with a rear disc brake, to see if they could help. No dice!
So I thought, screw it....I’ll do it myself(sort of).
I searched the web for the best place to buy my frame, forks, bars....everything I would need. I found http://www.cheapgoodsbmx.com in the states, Gabe Weed, the owner hooked me up with a Gloss Raw ATF 24”, Pitchfork XLT 24” and 9” Fu-Bars. What a guy! Quick, easy to deal with and can get anything!!
Photo

|

If you build it, they will come

11/25/2017 1:10 PM

Next on the agenda.....attacking the frame with a blow touch!!!!! Close your eyes if you’re of a nervous disposition!
I looked around the UK for a frame builder/modifier who could understand what I was trying to do. Eventually I found Vernon Barker Cycles near Sheffield. They seemed like the right guys for the task, it’s not something anyone had asked for in the past but they had done track bikes and seemed confident they could make it work.
The frame went off to them and I have not seen it yet. It arrives Monday next week, imagine how terrified and excited I am. They say it’s done....we will see. I’ll post pics as soon as I get it. I also asked them to do a stealth cable routing job on the top tube. They cut holes in the TT and then brazed reinforcement plates.
I must seem stupid hacking my brand new frame up but trust me, I appreciate the risk. I have a moto that I like to reassure myself with....”who dares, wins”

|

11/25/2017 1:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2017 9:11 AM

In the meantime, I have been busy ordering parts. In my research I found a few brands I liked for various reasons. I opted to use only S&M, Profile Racing and Odyssey components. Apart from the Chain and Tensioner. The colour way....Black & Gold.
So far the parts list looks like this....
FRAME - S&M ATF 24
FORK - S&M Pitchfork xlt 24
BARS - S&M Fu-Bar 9(Black or Chrome - Not sure?)
CRANKS - Profile No Boss 170mm Black
PEDALS - S&M 101
SPROCKET - Profile Spline 19mm Gold
CHAIN - Shadow Conspiracy Supreme Black
STEM - Profile Push Mulville 53mm Gold
B.B - Profile Mid Gold
HEADSET - Odyssey Pro Low Stack
SEATPOST - S&M Long Johnson Black
SEAT - Profile Mulville Pivotal
GRIPS - ODI S&M Lock-on (Gold Jaw Clamps)
RIMS - Odyssey Hazard Lite 24” Black F/R
RUBBER - Odyssey Pursuit 24”
TUBES - S&M 24”
BRAKES - Shimano M8000 Hydraulic F/R
ROTORS - Shimano RT66 160mm
REAR HUB - Profile Elite BMX Disc 13t cog Gold
FRONT HUB - Profile Elite MTB Disc Hub

Next up....Frame Painting, Decals and Build

|

11/25/2017 1:33 PM

A few pics of Parts I have....waiting on a few deliveries over next few days wink
Photo

Photo

|

11/25/2017 2:04 PM

Dang! I love this! I've always wanted to build a 24" or 22" wheeled bike.... I love the awesome stability and speed of them, I really hope you enjoy her!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/25/2017 2:05 PM

Oh and if when you were deciding the bars black it chrome, I'd go chrome... a raw frame with chrome bars and black forks look pretty cool!

|

11/25/2017 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2017 2:09 PM

Oh and if you were choosing between bar colors I'd go with the chrome... a raw frame with chrome bars and black forks looks really cool!Photo

This is just a picture I found on Google...

|

11/25/2017 2:42 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Oh and if when you were deciding the bars black it chrome, I'd go chrome... a raw frame with chrome bars and black forks look ...more

Hey man, yea that was my original plan but the frame with me gloss black once it’s painted. I wasn’t sure about black, gold and chrome combo. I have both colours and will decide once it’s built up. Hope to have her ready to ride next weekend. I’ll be adding more details and pics over the next few days.

Watch this space!

|

11/26/2017 10:33 AM

This is going to be a sick bike! I got back into riding last year and I couldn't ride a 20 either. 24's are so much fun.

|

11/26/2017 10:53 AM

Thanks man! I hope it all comes together. Seems to me like the perfect compromise between a 20 and a jump bike.

|

11/27/2017 9:11 AM

FedEx Clause came earlier today! A box of goodies from CheapGoodsBMX.com thanks to the main man Gabe. Wheelset, Rubber and a few small bits ready for my frame to arrive tomorrow.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Still not sure on which colour bars to use....either will be cool but do I go Murdered or bling??

|

11/27/2017 2:16 PM

Sweet! You're going to love those FuBars... I've got the 10" ones and I love them, super solid feeling and I'd trust my life with them...

|

11/27/2017 2:19 PM

And for the bars... I'd still probably go chrome... all black with chrome bars looks pretty sick as well...

|

11/29/2017 6:43 AM

That bike is badass! Now I'm thinking a bigger thrash bike for cruising around might be a great winter project!

DEMMIT VITAL!!!

|

11/29/2017 8:42 AM

Sooooo after a missing parcel and a long wait....my modified frame and forks arrived back this afternoon. My first impressions are not great! The guys who did the welding and mods are supposed to know what they are doing, I’m not happy with what they have done! Ok I’m happy with the end product but the finish is shocking!! angry
Photo
Photo

Internal Cable Routingdevil
Photo
Photo

Just got back from Solent Powder Finishers who are doing the paint job for me. Ray down there has a tonne of experience and is going to attempt to clean up some of the welds. He thinks once it’s painted you won’t be able to tell how shoddy the other guys did. Fingers crossed!! Satin Black baby! Pick her up Friyay!

|

11/29/2017 8:48 AM

On a more positive note....

The custom decal drawings were emailed over to me cool
Photo

Gold Metallic Vinyl - obviously I won’t use all of them

I’ll be using clear coat over the top to make them look factory....or that’s the idea anyway

|

11/29/2017 3:13 PM

Isn't the spacing different on the mountain bike hubs? Have you checked out standard? They make a BMX with built in disk mounts, and I'm sure they would also be willing to put them on any of thier frames you wanted. I really like what you did with this though. Should be totally original at least. This is awesome anyway, just thought you might want to check out standard, for future build ideas. Awesome job man.

|

11/29/2017 4:11 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Isn't the spacing different on the mountain bike hubs? Have you checked out standard? They make a BMX with built in disk ...more

Hey! MTB Front hubs are the same spacing @ 100mm as BMX. I think other sizes are available but generally they are the same. It’s the rear hubs where it get interesting. I could only find 3 hubs with bmx spacing and disc mounts.
I did look at standard and I do like them but I love S&M frames. I want to do a Speedwagon after this. Old school looks and styling. No discs!

Until discs become more mainstream on BMX, it’s an mega costly road to go down!

|

11/30/2017 9:26 AM

The painters called....”it’s ready!!!”

I rushed down there and boy am I happy!!!

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

If you’re in the UK and looking for a Powder Coater who knows what he is doing with bikes....

Speak to Ray at:
http://www.solentpowderfinishers.co.uk

He’s the maaaaan!

|

11/30/2017 9:34 AM

In the same afternoon, I got a call from my decal guys.....”they’re ready!!!!!”

So right from Powder Coaters to Signs Express in Christchurch. Again, another group of great guys who are happy to work with you. Not cheap but they look the shiznit!!
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Too heavy on the decals??? I’m planning to clear coat over them so have a few days to decide whether I’ve gone over the top.

|

11/30/2017 9:51 AM

You may notice that I have not used the S&M Pitchfork XLT forkssad
I’ve still got them, had them painted and have decals for them but the punks that added the disc tabs had to put them on the front of the right fork leg.....
I’m not sure how I feel about the look! The plan was to make it look like they were always there. It doesn’t look hideous, just different. People may say it’s a waste of a great set of forks but hey, I tried to do something different and with anything experimental....things don’t always work.

So I searched online for a solution and it appears BMX style Disc Forks have been around for years....in Trials Biking!!
Onza Fall Guy Forks
Photo
These are 20” Trials Forks with Disc mounts in the normal place. Because they are suspension corrected the A/C length is 370mm. Enough for a 24” wheel. Boom!! They are chunkier and heavier than the Pitchforks but they work and don’t look massively different.
I used a Dremel to cut off the Magura Brake mounts and filed them down before I sent them to the painters.
Had to be a little creative but overall the end result is what I wanted. I may give the Pitchforks a try and see what you guys think.
I didn’t put the Pitchfork decals on them....that would be cheating!
Photo

|

11/30/2017 3:54 PM

Sweet dude! Looks like its coming along swell! I'm super stoked to see the finished build!

|

12/1/2017 10:08 AM

Just finished the paint job.

I left the decals for 24h to make sure they were well and truely stuck on there. Then I gently wiped the frame and forks down with a paint prep wipe to remove any oils or residue from the powder coating.
During my research, I found Hycote Adhesion Promoter....this is a very watery product that is supposed to help paints and lacquers stick to non-pourous surfaces. After seeing a few videos of people using it to spray over vinyl decals, I thought it was a good idea to get a couple of coats onto the frame and forks.
Next up was the sparkle! Spray.Bike Keirin Sunlight Tokyo Gold. Awesome product!! It is a clear coat with a super fine metal flake. As I was going for satin black, I thought I’d try adding something to make it pop in the sunlight. It’s very hard to see in low lights doesn’t look to bling and shit.
Photo

Let it cure for 2 hours then hit her with a light coat of Satin Clear Lacquer. 3 coats in total of this stuff.
Photo

going to let it dry over night and start building her in the morning.
Oh and had another delivery today....
Photo

SAFETY FIRST FOLKS!!!!!

|

12/3/2017 6:02 PM

Nice! This turned out really well.

|

12/8/2017 10:47 AM

After a slight efffff up during the lacquer stagesad I had to take it back to the powder coaters and start again!!! The second attempt went great and today I started building. Waiting on some more parts but this is where I am up to.....
Photo

I’ll do a full walk around when it’s finished but so far I’m loving how it’s turning out.

|

12/9/2017 3:40 AM

I know it’s my work but maaaaaan is she looking good in the daylightkissing
Photo

|

12/9/2017 6:27 AM

^^Dang she is looking GOOD! The disc brakes are really cool too! Man I would love to have a bike like this so much!

|

12/9/2017 11:31 AM

LS1982 wrote:

A few pics of Parts I have....waiting on a few deliveries over next few days wink
Photo

Photo

Are you just going to glue the rest of the cranks on the bike after youve mounted the ones to the bottom bracket?

|

12/9/2017 12:27 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Are you just going to glue the rest of the cranks on the bike after youve mounted the ones to the bottom bracket?

Sorry, not sure what you mean?? I’m getting Profile Spline Drive Cranks and I’ll fit them when they arrive.

|

12/9/2017 12:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2017 12:41 PM

LS1982 wrote:

Photo

Photo

Bulletpup wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

Sorry, not sure what you mean?? I’m getting Profile Spline Drive Cranks and I’ll fit them when they arrive.

Lol it was a joke cause your post said "this is all the parts i got so far" or something like that.

The back of your picture behind the wheels there is like 10 pairs of crank arms. They obviously have price tags on them and I am sure you were at a bike shop when you took that photo.

I was just being silly willy... wink

|