S&M Holmes 22"

Related:
Create New Tag

8/25/2012 7:33 PM

It's out now. Also available are 22" Pitchforks and 22" wheels and tires from Revenge Industries.

Photo
|

8/25/2012 11:34 PM

If I had the money, I'd like to get one. I like flowy park riding, and the bigger wheels should be better for that. And the Geo isn't that far off a 20"er anyway. I already prefer a 21.25" Toptube on my 20", and a 74.5 Head angle, and a 9" Standover. The 14.1 Rear end isn't far off what I like either (13.75ish)

|

8/26/2012 10:38 AM

I found some on ebay for $685.00 for the whole kit (frame, fork, wheels, tires).

|

8/28/2012 6:46 AM

Yup, it's a chrome 22" Holmes.

Photo

|

8/28/2012 6:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2012 6:46 PM

The guy that's selling that is giving deals to bmx museum members lol.. http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=449571

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

9/2/2012 8:39 PM

ssteinbr's build via bmxmuseum.

Photo

|

9/3/2012 8:52 AM

so badass.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

9/4/2012 2:04 PM

Circuit BMX built up this one. Ready to be finished off with grips, brakes and cranks.

Photo

|

9/5/2012 12:51 PM

Is it possible to find a frame that could accept 22" wheels that isn't made for 22"? Just wondering since it's only 2 inches bigger.

|

9/5/2012 1:06 PM

NextGenesis88 wrote:

Is it possible to find a frame that could accept 22" wheels that isn't made for 22"? Just wondering since it's only 2 inches ...more

Yes. Not many. I can only think of the MacNeil Deuce Deuce. See this thread for others.

|

9/8/2012 7:27 AM

Photo
Chris Celli, owner of Bikes and Boards of Selden, NY with the 22" Holmes #001.

22" Holmes frame
22" Pitchforks
Slam bars
Challenger stem
Fit 175mm/19mm spindle cranks
S&M Tuffman sprocket
S&M 101 sealed pedals
Long Johnson Pivotal post
Kevlar P-Rail seat
P-Guts
S&M seat clamp
Revenge Industries 22" wheel-set
Innova 22" tires
Revenge Industries headset
S&M mid BB
KMC Kool Chain
Fit Repeater grips
Odyssey Monolever, medium
Animal cable
Tektro 990s
|

9/8/2012 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2012 8:08 AM

Didn't mean to put the InDust here. You can check it out at the link below.

InDust 2ton

|

9/8/2012 9:39 AM

That Holmes looks very classic. Early 90's looking.

Now we need action pictures!

|

9/8/2012 10:23 AM

pnj wrote:

That Holmes looks very classic. Early 90's looking.

Now we need action pictures!

Yeah really. There were a few clips posted on bmxmuseum, but they were mere seconds long. We need some edits!

|

9/9/2012 12:50 PM

That bike is RAD. I'm looking into building myself a new bike, and the more I see the 22, the more I think it's gonna be the way to go.
VERY interested....

|

9/10/2012 5:49 AM

matt_black wrote:

That bike is RAD. I'm looking into building myself a new bike, and the more I see the 22, the more I think it's gonna be the ...more

Same here. And there's a number of options now. Faction, InDust, Standard, S&M. We need more wheel/tire options though.

|

9/10/2012 1:11 PM

If they are as good as everyone has been saying, that shouldn't take too long....

|

9/13/2012 4:09 PM

Photo
|

9/13/2012 4:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2012 4:26 PM

Looks good. The fork rake seems steep. How does it ride?

The one I rode seemed like the TT was too short and the front end was too quick.

Nice Jumps! Let's get some action shots!!! :D

|

9/13/2012 5:42 PM

pnj wrote:

The one I rode seemed like the TT was too short and the front end ...more

Oh sorry man. I forgot to put the owner's name. That's Dan Daffer's. Don't know him. S&M posted it on FB.

I've heard the same about the TT. It looks so nice though. Didn't you get to ride the prototype for a while?

I'm interested in the Faction Amero. I hope it has a 74° HT angle. And I'm also considering an InDust.

|

9/13/2012 6:08 PM

I did ride the proto. I don't know what's different about the production model. I think it's supposed to be the same geo but it doesn't ride the same. However, the prototype wasn't as nice as the one my buddy put together.

I'm also looking to build a 22. I'm not too keen on the Faction but that may be because I'm tired of waiting for them to put the damn thing out. smile The indust is an option too. Price tag seems kinda steep though. arrg.

|

9/13/2012 7:25 PM

cmc told me that a the InDust was $420, which is $30 more than a S&M or Fit made here. Not bad really considering how small they are. But if that's too much wait til hear this. I just got a quote today from another small manufacturer here in the US for $650 w/o a fork.

|

9/13/2012 7:47 PM

Solid or Standard do customs. I'm guessing that quote is from one of those two. I don't know if FBM is doing custom stuff right now. I thought I had saw that Standard was charging around 500. Either way, custom is expensive. Especially since you can't send it back if you don't like it nor can you easily sell it to someone else.

|

9/13/2012 11:11 PM

pnj wrote:

The one I rode seemed like the TT was too short and the front end ...more

Fondue wrote:

Oh sorry man. I forgot to put the owner's name. That's Dan Daffer's. Don't know him. S&M posted it on FB.

I've heard the ...more

I was just perusing the forums and noticed my picture! I just got this thing and though I've barely ridden it, I'm completely in love. Stoked to see more people interested in the 22" setups. Here's a few shots to get things going. Happy to answer any questions.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/14/2012 4:49 AM

Hey Dan, thanks for coming through. I am doing what I can to get 22's more light shined on them here at Vital. These action shots are sweet. I really like the chrome 22 Holmes. My question is....parts list?

|

9/14/2012 4:54 AM

pnj wrote:

Solid or Standard do customs. I'm guessing that quote is from one of those two. I don't know if FBM is doing custom stuff ...more

Actually, the quote was from f-bom. Their 20" frames are already expensive due to some claim that they look at their frames with some gizmo that nobody else uses to assure alignment, so I was already expecting a high figure. But $650 and no fork won't fly.

|

9/14/2012 6:44 AM

Great shots, Dan!

How tall are you and any idea on the weight of that bike?

|

9/14/2012 9:44 AM

I've had my eye on these 22's for some time, and although I've seen people on other forums knocking S&M for jacking the idea from faction, to you haters, I say, show me where I can purchase one! Same goes for indust! S&M has made the 22" Holmes readily available and very affordable. That's me in the white helmet riding Danny's Holmes, and trust me, it handles like a BMX. I've ridden nothing but 20's since I was a kid, and even as I sasquatched out to 6'5", I refused to give up the 20" wheels.
My current setup is a custom standard 250L with a 22" top tube. I run a flipped front load stem for added height, 3 spacers underneath it, and 8.75" bars. How does the Holmes compare? With no warmup whatsoever, I made it through the big line atthe trails first run and felt extremely comfortable doing so. I cant stress enough how much this feels like a BMX. Another friend at the trails has a sunday model c that I,ve also ridden . The 24" feels like a monster truck with such big wheels, turns slowly, and even with the 22" top tube that it has, I have to ride toes on the pedals to prevent the tire from knocking my foot off on bar turni tricks. The 74.5° headtube on the Holmes felt perfect, and to answer a previous question we weighed Danny's Holmest at roughly 27lbs, mind you there arent any weight weenie parts on it. The 22" Holmes gets 2 thumbs up in my book, but I'll be custom ordering mine in a 23"top tube sasquatch style.

|

9/14/2012 10:39 AM

Well, not that I'm a "hater", I'm happy that 22's are being made period, but the Amero should be available through http://www.factionbikeco.com/ in October. But that is yet to be seen considering all the delays. And InDust frames are available in small runs. No need knock small American BMX businesses though. Am I right?

S&M is definitely going to need to step up on the rims though. Really, were welded seams just too much to ask?

|

9/14/2012 10:53 AM

Fondue wrote:

Hey Dan, thanks for coming through. I am doing what I can to get 22's more light shined on them here at Vital. These action ...more

Parts list! You got it, the whole enchilada:

22" Holmes frame
- 21.5 TT (next batch this length will be relabeled as 21.7 due to seat angles)
- 14.1 chainstay slammed, looks like at least 3/4" of room to move back
22" Pitchfork
22" Revenge wheelset w/ OHM rims and KK hubs
22" Innova tires (from S&M) - slightly heavy from thick casing but really happy with these tires!
S&M Grand Slam bars
Fit 24MM spindle 3pc 175MM cranks
Fit Barstool pivotal seat
Fit Pivotal seatpost
FSA Impact headset
Fit Crossfit 25T sprocket
Diatech 996 Fiesta brakes
Tech 77 lever
United linear cable
S&M XLT seat clamp (28.6mm for 25.4 seatpost)
KMC Z410 chain
Redneck XLT stem (Stay Strong edition)
Fly Rueben pedals
ODI Cross Trainer grips

As Shawn said above, it's right around 27 pounds, which feels about exactly what I wanted as I'm coming from a 25lb hardtail (SuperCo). The tires ride and grip awesome in the dirt, super happy with them, but they are heavy. I think that's the first place to shed some weight. The cost for setting up new moldings for tires is outrageous, but Moeller mentioned that if these 22" bikes start taking off he's got big plans for some lighter tires. The back end at 14.1 feels like a 20" bmx at about 13.75 for ease of coming up, but not quite as loopy. I plan to run it a little longer, probably just by changing the 25t sprocket to around a 23t or so. It really feels like a regular BMX, but way smoother.

I'm 5'10" and the size is great. One friend at 6'2" also said the size was perfect. Shawn above rode it perfect but is ordering a longer TT. The next batch will probably also have an option for 1/2 longer TT, and you can build a custom 22 Holmes on the S&M website now and change the geometry to suit your needs.

I recommend reading the comments from Shawn, Brian and myself on the S&M facebook page about how the bike rides: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151094421617149&set=a.153558542148.119186.153433607148&type=1&comment_id=7360411&ref=notif&notif_t=like&theater

|