is 22" bmx gonna be the new big thing?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2014 8:48 AM

Theres tons of great 22" footage and guys are talking like bmx companies are trying to shy away from it cuz theyve focused only on 20" all these years they dont want 22" inch.bmx to get popular but I think its gonna hit big one day if it hasnt already

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

4/26/2014 4:42 AM

It might be popular betwen high people. Its not personally my thing, my bmx is just in the perfect heigh.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/26/2014 6:30 AM

Well, I wouldn't say there is a ton of footage, but it is growing. What I wished the companies would realize is that as we get older some of us want a bigger bike but we don't want a 24 or bigger. 22 is the perfect fit. Besides, it just makes sense to create life-long bmxers. That's why a few companies have started making 18-inch aftermarket product like BSD and United. I just wish they would see this continuity as we get older.

Thankfully we have S&M/Revenge saying they are in it for the long haul, and Faction Bike Co. makes an excellent frame/fork/wheel kit. And they're getting ready to start selling their rims separately which is good because you won't have to invest in a complete wheelset just to get going. Their F22 tire is the best available with 100+psi, and S&M is dropping a 22-inch version of the Mainline tire this summer.

And it just wouldn't be right not to mention Indust. These guys basically got it all going here in the US, along with Jason Webb making the first 22-inch frames and getting rims and tires produced. And I know that Shawn Shimkets played a role, just don't know all the details.

I personally think it will happen.

|

4/28/2014 12:13 AM

Yea my lbs says it's not big soo it's not going to happen.but all he cares about is $$.he doesnt realize theres a cult movement lol. I cant wait to ride a 22" I havnt been able to try one yet

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

4/28/2014 5:18 AM

I see it primarily being a direct-to-customer thing with exception to the S&M/Revenge stuff. I completely understand your local's position too - he has bills to pay or the shop closes.

|

4/28/2014 8:35 AM

I honestly think that the only reason that the 22" movement is struggling to get off the ground is because 16, 18, 20 and 24" wheels already existed and were very common before they were used for BMX. Also, there is relatively little money in BMX; 650B Mountain Bikes went from practically unheard of a year or so ago to in pretty much every shop now.

|

4/28/2014 10:01 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

I honestly think that the only reason that the 22" movement is struggling to get off the ground is because 16, 18, 20 and 24" ...more

Well, the 22 size has been around before we decided we wanted the size for bmx. And if there's no money in bmx, then there wouldn't be so many brands.

|

5/2/2014 8:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2015 12:12 AM

Ppppp

|

5/5/2014 5:44 PM

Here's one of the 22" video edits.... I've been into them since the beginning. It's really not a massive difference, but it's enough of a bike fit difference that when you get into it, you really just feel comfortable... It's like an adult-fit bike; you feel 13 again, when you're 23, or 33, or 43.... Especially good for riding trails. The bigger wheels just roll a little faster and carry a little more momentum. But, the geometry feels familiar.
">

|

5/5/2014 6:28 PM

And you think its still better than a 24, like a Model C?

|